Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

new york citeh kitteh, looking into the air shaft
(not mine unfortunately)

5176167.2e16d0ba.fill-661x496.format-jpeg.jpegquality-80.jpg

Finally got her! drew blood through my jeans!

:(

i ended up with some scratches through shirt and jumper one time i was trying to box two mogs (getting two mogs in to one carrier is interesting...)

and i still have a scar on my hand from when i tried to follow vet's advice and apply sun-block to mogs' ears (they had white ears)

I finally gave in to the idea of buying Paddy an igloo bed as he has taken to nicking Zoe's 'bed' - which is an old chair with a cushion on it.

I give it a couple of months before I donate it, barely used, to Celia Hammond:

View attachment 302037
I got my old Black and white cat one of those for much the same reason.

She ignored it and even the tabby only tried it a couple of times.

So after a while I stuck it out in the greenhouse and forgot about it.

Some time later, I was out in the garden early one morning and realised I was being watched - She wasn't in her bed in the greenhouse, no she was in the igloo, which was placed where she could see out through the glass.

She used it out there for nearly all the rest of her life - until she was too arthritic to jump-up to where it was sat, so started using the other bed, which was lower down to climb in to.

Be warned all you sweet relaxing floofy U75 kitties.
If you venture into South East London it is like the Wild West I tell you, tooth and claw guys, tooth and claw.

When my old BD had been fighting, he would often come in with the lumps of fur around his face and great tufts of it packed under and sticking-up from every claw. Looked really bizarre when he had been fighting a local ginger or mostly white cat!

I got my old Black and white cat one of those for much the same reason.

She ignored it and even the tabby only tried it a couple of times.

So after a while I stuck it out in the greenhouse and forgot about it.

Some time later, I was out in the garden early one morning and realised I was being watched - She wasn't in her bed in the greenhouse, no she was in the igloo, which was placed where she could see out through the glass.

She used it out there for nearly all the rest of her life - until she was too arthritic to jump-up to where it was sat, so started using the other bed, which was lower down to climb in to.
Unfortunately we don't have a greenhouse! :D

They're taking it in turns now to steal The Chair while the other is downstairs eating.

Paddy still prefers the cardboard box to the igloo when he's not in The Chair.

I think the igloo is perhaps too small, but then again Paddy has happily adopted other cardboard boxes that are as small. Cats :facepalm:

Thanks, no she isn't
E2a - just gone in kitchen and started eating :D

From experience, most cats feeling under the weather due to a bad mouse, indigestion, etc. tend to get over it in a few hours with a return to the food bowl the surest sign of recovery. Anything lasting more than a day may require more professional help. Sounds like she’s on the mend 🙂

From experience, most cats feeling under the weather due to a bad mouse, indigestion, etc. tend to get over it in a few hours with a return to the food bowl the surest sign of recovery. Anything lasting more than a day may require more professional help. Sounds like she’s on the mend 🙂

This, if refusal of food continues for more than 24 hours it requires veterinary attention as cats can go into liver failure if they go without food for more than a day or so (they aren't dogs!) - and cats can quickly go into an anorexic situation where they stop eating and then lose any appetite and won't start again - this requires medical intervention. So if a cat is refusing to eat it can become a medical emergency fairly quickly.

I (sadly) have some experience with feline anorexia.

I've about had it with my vet clinic - I love our actual vet - when I can get to actually see him - but the service of the clinic itself has declined so badly in the last couple of years that I am at the end of my tether about it.

I phoned up to see if I can book Sonic in for next week - no, all their bookable appointments are booked. They have appointments but they are all "on the day" appointments where I would need to phone at 9am when they open and sit in a queue to see if I can get an appointment and do this every day until I get lucky enough to get a slot.

The reason I cannot book one of these available appointments in advance is because (according to the receptionist) "someone could book the same appointment online and then we'd be double booked and not be able to cope".

So they have available times to see a vet but I cannot book one in advance. For a cat that is losing weight.

They did helpfully suggest that I could phone around their other branches to see if I could get an appointment somewhere else - what is the fucking point of having a local vet clinic if you cannot get your fucking pets seen by a fucking vet locally when they need to fucking see a vet?

I'm just frustrated at this point, they charge a fucking fortune too.

The problem is that they have a monopoly around here, the nearest vet I could go to that isn't part of the same company is over in Leytonstone, and if I am going over there I might as well go to the emergency hospital in Wanstead.

I am absolutely beyond fucked off at this point - when I moved here I made sure there was a veterinary clinic nearby that I could go to if I had a sick pet. It was that way up until recently but they keep letting me down lately.

I mean seriously I am fucked off - this happens with our GP service (the phone or queue outside on the day thing) and we kind of put up with it because it is the NHS, but having to do that for pet health which we pay through the fucking teeth for and we're treated like we ought to be grateful that we can get to see a vet at all?

It costs £40 just for a consultation, any medications are approximately 3x cost, and if you want to get meds elsewhere they charge you £15 for a prescription to buy medications elsewhere (a charge for prescriptions is normal and allowed from vets) - but them then acting like they are a GP clinic with ridiculous queueing systems and making it so that you feel fucking grateful to get an appointment in a timely fashion - NO. We are paying a LOT of money for this shit, it isn't free health care, act more like a professional fucking service where if I need to have an animal seen by a vet you provide that fucking service when I need it - perhaps when you monopolised all the vet services in the area you should have thought to employ some more fucking vets so that you could see all of your patients in a timely fashion.

I mean seriously I am fucked off - this happens with our GP service (the phone or queue outside on the day thing) and we kind of put up with it because it is the NHS, but having to do that for pet health which we pay through the fucking teeth for and we're treated like we ought to be grateful that we can get to see a vet at all?

It costs £40 just for a consultation, any medications are approximately 3x cost, and if you want to get meds elsewhere they charge you £15 for a prescription to buy medications elsewhere (a charge for prescriptions is normal and allowed from vets) - but them then acting like they are a GP clinic with ridiculous queueing systems and making it so that you feel fucking grateful to get an appointment in a timely fashion - NO. We are paying a LOT of money for this shit, it isn't free health care, act more like a professional fucking service where if I need to have an animal seen by a vet you provide that fucking service when I need it - perhaps when you monopolised all the vet services in the area you should have thought to employ some more fucking vets so that you could see all of your patients in a timely fashion.
Sorry to hear that, Epona. I hope Sonic can get seen soon and that he stays well until then and beyond. I wish we could have a NHS for pets!

Sorry to hear that, Epona. I hope Sonic can get seen soon and that he stays well until then and beyond. I wish we could have a NHS for pets!

I don't mind paying as such, just if I am paying that bloody much I expect some level of service instead of being made to feel grateful that they can see Sonic on the 3rd January but I can phone at 9am every day next week and have nothing else planned in case they say I can bring him in at 2pm or 10am or 5pm on any particular day. That is somewhat acceptable for free social health care, but I don't think that model works for a vet service that then charges a fucking fortune for the privilege.

Can someone give me a sanity check here? Am I being completely unreasonable?
You are absolutely NOT being unreasonable! I'd be equally pissed off. If it was a child showing unexplained weight loss , we'd expect them to be seen quicker than this, even if it's NHS.

I'll possibly end up taking him to the hospital at Wanstead (2 hours each way on the bus!!!) but that should be for emergencies, not for things that I should be able to get a fucking regular appointment for at my local vet.

Aarrrrrghhh I am very unhappy right now.

If I have to take him to the hospital on Boxing Day or a bank holiday or in the middle of the night because of an emergency then absolutely of course I will, but I shouldn't have to take him all that way if the vet around the corner is fucking open when I need them to look at him!

I don't know what has gone wrong, they used to be really good and I was always able to get an animal seen when necessary, but now it is bloody impossible and their answer is to go to the hospital 2 hours away - I didn't register with them to be taking animals to the hospital when they are fucking open!

. . . which we pay through the fucking teeth for and we're treated like we ought to be grateful that we can get to see a vet at all?. . .
I've heard you mention some of the vets bills you've been charged over the years and you are absolutely right you should be getting a far, far better level of service than your currently getting

Thanks Epona and seeformiles
Kizzy is better but still looking a bit sorry for herself, also found some sick in the garden
We think they get fed elsewhere as they often come in licking their lips!
Also got them some new toys today in case they are bored in this weather

Kizzy had stuff in her eye last night which we gently removed with a wet tissue
Kizzy eye 23Dec21.jpg

Can someone give me a sanity check here? Am I being completely unreasonable?

I'd be pissed off, too.

Fortunately, I've got two goddards vets near me. main one is 15 minutes walk, the other is about 25 minutes walk away. I also got Chloe and Bella registered at RVC in Camden which is about 30 minutes uber away just in case.

Back
Top Bottom