Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

I am currently lying precariously on the edge of our bed, barely 3"of mattress to my right. Typing one handed. A cat between my ankles, one snoring her little head of whilst sprawled across my hip my left arm resting on her back because Casper is curled upon my chest also fast asleep

Whar a great way to start the day

I took Alfie to the vet this week, because for the last few weeks he's been drinking and peeing a lot more than usual. Then I noticed that he's lost weight, that his fur isn't as shiny as it used to be and he is vomiting more. A blood test showed that he has diabetes and both kidney and liver disease.

He's recently turned 10, I was hoping I'd have him for another 10 years. The vet indicated the chances for that are slim, but that with the right care he could have a few more years in him. The vet is trying to order insulin but she says there have been problems obtaining that recently. He's on medication for his kidneys for now. He's meowing a lot more than usual, I hope that he isn't in pain. :(

Any tips or encouraging advice from peeps with cats who have or had these ailments is appreciated.

CBC3A5FE-D8DC-4541-9BCA-F8F890894715.jpeg

Last edited:
I took Alfie to the vet this week, because for the last few weeks he's been drinking and peeing a lot more than usual. Then I noticed that he's lost weight, that his fur isn't as shiny as it used to be and he is vomiting more. A blood test showed that he has diabetes and both kidney and liver disease.

He's recently turned 10, I was hoping I'd have him for another 10 years. The vet indicated the chances for that are slim, but that with the right care he could have a few more years in him. The vet is trying to order insulin but she says there have been problems obtaining that recently. He's on medication for his kidneys for now. He's meowing a lot more than usual, I hope that he isn't in pain. :(

Any tips or encouraging advice from peeps with cats who have or had these ailments is appreciated.

View attachment 298406

I'm sorry to hear that Alfie has some health issues. I hope you can get him stabilised and everything under control - all those conditions are manageable and although it seems like a lot to deal with at the moment it could be that in a few weeks you'll have him on the right medications and as you say, he could well have another few years in him if those health conditions are managed.

Take it as it comes and try not to be overwhelmed by it - see how he does on the medications.

My lot expect imminent arrival of food if I remove their food bowl - if there is a gap, they sit on me and wail loudly.

Love your cat's disgruntled expression :D

Yes. We have a problem with the other one. I thought free feeding was a great idea as my childhood cats never had a problem. Her 3 days as a stray as a kitten have obviously traumatised her for life and she is in danger of becoming square. :(

Dear god she's loud though. Odin (pictured) just gives tiney meows which doesn't really fit his name or stature.

Shit, poor cat :(:(

After that, we found that covering them with a big towel/blanket helps. Once it gets darkened, a feral is a lot less likely to freak-out. The plastic type, although more flimsy are much more cave-like/"secure" and the cat settles down more quickly.

903715735_1995273560_b.jpg

378847169_473e7733d0_b.jpg

1129866916_67fdc1a65e_b.jpg

In that period, folk would literally walk into the office and hand us a kitten. Made the morning mail much nicer! :D

I'm currently - under veterinary advice and supervision, ofc - switching my boys (15 years and 14 yrs 9 months) onto a high calorie food for elderly cats with slight renal issues - they aren't yet in serious problems re their kidneys considering their age but Sonic has had some gradual weight loss and we are hoping that this new food will help him maintain his weight and maybe gain a bit without stressing his kidneys.

I know they aren't going to be with us forever, but I want to do everything I can to keep them healthy and happy for as long as possible - they are still very lively and clearly enjoy life and it's my job to keep them able to continue that as long as possible.

The good news is that they like the new food (I bought a small amount to try it out), the bad news is that it is about twice as expensive as their current food - I will order it online rather than buy from the vet, but it is still more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom