Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

The good news is that they like the new food (I bought a small amount to try it out), the bad news is that it is about twice as expensive as their current food - I will order it online rather than buy from the vet, but it is still more expensive.

For madam, it seems to be balancing-out cost-wise for food. Although dearer, the renal stuff is more energy dense and she does eat all of it, so overall, she eats less but has gained a bit of weight. Sometimes with a little bit of her old favourites alongside to keep the variety/interest-up and the odd treat.

The tracking for the last lot I bought online was interesting - it looked like they sent it somewhere in the English Midlands by mistake before routing it back here!

I also found the vets at my local Pets at Home stocked a small amount of the Purina renal food, a few packs of which were able to tide me over till the online order arrived and they didn't seem to load the price by that much compared to what I could find online.

Last edited:
For madam, it seems to be balancing-out cost-wise for food. Although dearer, the renal stuff is more energy dense and she does eat all of it, so overall, she eats less but has gained a bit of weight. Sometimes with a little bit of her old favourites alongside to keep the variety/interest-up and the odd treat.

Oh that's good to hear!

Although we do have some financial difficulties, the cats come first so although the cost of the food is a little bit of a concern, hearing that it could well help in terms of Sonic's weight is very encouraging - I'd be very happy to see him put on a couple of hundred grams tbh, he's very skinny (they are OSH and are supposed to be skinny, but he is too skinny).

Sonic has been borderline underweight for a little while now, he has had a load of tests in the summer (blood tests, urinalysis, ultrasound) which didn't show anything alarming considering his age so I am not too worried that something has gone seriously wrong - but it is important to his ongoing health that he doesn't continue with the gradual weight loss. So I am really hoping this food does the trick!

Jakey's weight is not an issue but as he is a similar age and slender it will not hurt to put him on this food too (they are best buddies, they eat together and separating them for any reason, including for meals, stresses them, so I only do it for essential medical reasons) - he is very active so I doubt he will gain too much on the new diet but will of course keep an eye on him - and will deal with that if it happens. I suspect that due to him being nearly as old he will also benefit from the new diet.

Last edited:
The other thing with mine is they are used to getting some wet food every evening, all hell will break loose here if I stop that so I am going to look into trying some of the wet food pouches of the renal food too.

I've always liked to feed a varied diet and they are not too fussy about food (I think as a result) so I do want to continue to give some wet food too as they like to have different things to eat - will look into different low protein/renal options for that part of their daily diet.

Oh that's good to hear!

Although we do have some financial difficulties, the cats come first so although the cost of the food is a little bit of a concern, hearing that it could well help in terms of Sonic's weight is very encouraging - I'd be very happy to see him put on a couple of hundred grams tbh, he's very skinny (they are OSH and are supposed to be skinny, but he is too skinny).

I have found that online retailers sell bashed boxes at a bigger discount - The packs themselves are fine, so I just transfer them to another box.

Madam doesn't get the dry food (or no more than a few bits) due to the teeth she had to lose when I got her, after that, she tended to wolf it down whole and then be sick.

I have found that online retailers sell bashed boxes at a bigger discount - The packs themselves are fine, so I just transfer them to another box.

Madam doesn't get the dry food (or no more than a few bits) due to the teeth she had to lose when I got her, after that, she tended to wolf it down whole and then be sick.

My Jakey has had that bolting his food and bringing it up problem all his life, a small ball (giant marble/golf ball type size) in the food bowl slows him down a bit. He's actually slowed down a bit since he had to have all his teeth out! He is quite a large-frame cat though, so lack of chewing may not be as much of an issue as it would for a more petite feline.

(((( Alfie ))))
My old cat had the kidney diagnosis at 13 and made it to 18 with minimal treatment, so that's not as bad as it seems. But I don't know anything about liver problems.
I hope Alfie is ok - liver problems can hurt! He's such a lovely boy.

Pictures of lil Bob and all the cats here leave me in a state of contentment too.
I am pretty sure I have read about the healing properties of purring and associated research.
I thought it was only about bone regeneration.

I took Alfie to the vet this week, because for the last few weeks he's been drinking and peeing a lot more than usual. Then I noticed that he's lost weight, that his fur isn't as shiny as it used to be and he is vomiting more. A blood test showed that he has diabetes and both kidney and liver disease.

He's recently turned 10, I was hoping I'd have him for another 10 years. The vet indicated the chances for that are slim, but that with the right care he could have a few more years in him. The vet is trying to order insulin but she says there have been problems obtaining that recently. He's on medication for his kidneys for now. He's meowing a lot more than usual, I hope that he isn't in pain. :(

Any tips or encouraging advice from peeps with cats who have or had these ailments is appreciated.

View attachment 298406
Milo was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and diabetes a year ago. We don't know how old he is, but the vet estimates between 10 and 14.

It felt really overwhelming at first, especially the thought of having to inject him with insulin for the rest of his life. Overall though, he has coped very well, and the combination of a dietary change, plus small doses of insulin have stabilised him to the point that the vet thinks he might be able to come off his insulin soon.

The biggest challenge has been managing duel diabetes and renal friendly diets, which aren't completely compatible with each other. We've ended up settling on one pouch of diabetes friendly food in the morning, half a pouch of renal food in the evening, and renal dry food throughout the day. It can be challenging, especially as feeding him two types of food makes him liable to go off one or the other, but we've mostly coped.

Injecting him with insulin twice daily has ended up being really straightforward, albeit it started off chasing him around the house for five minutes after every meal until he got used to it. We did start off trying to get blood glucose readings from him regularly, but getting blood out of his ear regularly was distressing him and us, so the vet does it for us now.

He's in for his vaccinations and annual check up tomorrow morning, so hoping for further confirmation of his progress! High Voltage and izz also have a diabetic cat, and they were really helpful earlier this year when we were getting used to it all.

Good luck, I'm sure with the right care, Alfie will continue to have many more years ahead of him!

Milo pics, just because...

708F97B6-6F49-484A-9981-ECF90BECE7E2.jpeg 4B0105F3-5350-4C8D-A563-1F5E87EB5875.jpeg

(((( Alfie ))))
My old cat had the kidney diagnosis at 13 and made it to 18 with minimal treatment, so that's not as bad as it seems. But I don't know anything about liver problems.
I hope Alfie is ok - liver problems can hurt! He's such a lovely boy.

When my old BD was diagnosed with liver problems at @13, he got a good five more years before he began to fail badly. The vet advised special cat food but he never took to it.

And madam, when she had her brush with sepsis at nine years old, the vet advised that it had affected her liver and would shorten her life - eleven years later, it’s not her liver that has just started failing!

Last edited:
I met a nearby cat on my walk to the shops this morning, who I don't think I'd met before. He/she had a very deep miaow, and took a bit of convincing to approach me. They did the usual sniffing my finger to check my credentials, and I thought they would then do the nose rub that cats love so such.

Instead the little shit bit it, twice, quite hard.

I met a nearby cat on my walk to the shops this morning, who I don't think I'd met before. He/she had a very deep miaow, and took a bit of convincing to approach me. They did the usual sniffing my finger to check my credentials, and I thought they would then do the nose rub that cats love so such.

Instead the little shit bit it, twice, quite hard.

Just having a taste

Milo was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and diabetes a year ago. We don't know how old he is, but the vet estimates between 10 and 14.

It felt really overwhelming at first, especially the thought of having to inject him with insulin for the rest of his life. Overall though, he has coped very well, and the combination of a dietary change, plus small doses of insulin have stabilised him to the point that the vet thinks he might be able to come off his insulin soon.

The biggest challenge has been managing duel diabetes and renal friendly diets, which aren't completely compatible with each other. We've ended up settling on one pouch of diabetes friendly food in the morning, half a pouch of renal food in the evening, and renal dry food throughout the day. It can be challenging, especially as feeding him two types of food makes him liable to go off one or the other, but we've mostly coped.

Injecting him with insulin twice daily has ended up being really straightforward, albeit it started off chasing him around the house for five minutes after every meal until he got used to it. We did start off trying to get blood glucose readings from him regularly, but getting blood out of his ear regularly was distressing him and us, so the vet does it for us now.

He's in for his vaccinations and annual check up tomorrow morning, so hoping for further confirmation of his progress! High Voltage and izz also have a diabetic cat, and they were really helpful earlier this year when we were getting used to it all.

Good luck, I'm sure with the right care, Alfie will continue to have many more years ahead of him!

Milo pics, just because...

View attachment 298598 View attachment 298599
Thank you, that is giving me some hope.

i was really worried that we hadn't seen ginger tom cat next door for weeks, i started to think that he got taken by a fox too like ibiza, but yesterday he turned up at the kitchen door again! so happy he is safe. he is a bit quieter, and got a shave patch up by his tail so something must have happened, most likely a cat fight I guess, and he had to be kept in, but all good now.
20211127_160501.jpg

Last edited:
Cartoon head having a look in after I've just put a couple of hot water bottles in their outdoor shelter.
IMG_20211128_215230.jpg
Found a lovely couple who will take her and stripey if I can get them into a dog crate they have given me. Fully loaded with double.quilt (13.5 tog) and pillows. Fingers crossed they get a lovely new home with open fire and quite remote.

I'm new to having a cat who only shits in a litter tray and who does so very copiously and often. So have been shoving them in plastic bags but am feeling horrible about the environmental impact. What does everyone do? I guess I could buy compostable bags but is there anything better?

(sorry this is not really news, hope it doesn't disrupt the happy thread - here she is being photogenically terrified by some fireworks)

67C557CC-36A7-4D94-AEA2-3C74A80ED4D3.jpeg

I'm new to having a cat who only shits in a litter tray and who does so very copiously and often. So have been shoving them in plastic bags but am feeling horrible about the environmental impact. What does everyone do? I guess I could buy compostable bags but is there anything better?

(sorry this is not really news, hope it doesn't disrupt the happy thread - here she is being photogenically terrified by some fireworks)

View attachment 298690

You can pick the poo up in a bit of toilet paper and flush it, provided it doesn't have a lot of unflushable litter stuck to it.

OR

There is a super dooper self cleaning, plumb it into your toilet soil pipe, only costs £300+ but comes with a 3/6 months try it out guarantee, litter tray

View attachment 298690

Perfect, thanks! I guess the compostable food waste bags might be second best and much err cheaper for me to come by :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom