Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Will he let you touch his legs? My experience is most cats aren't that fond of it to begin with, but it should be reasonably apparent if there's some kind of discomfort when you get to a specific area. How old is he? Arthritis? (Unlikely if there are mad half hours though.) If he seems otherwise fine just keep an eye on it and maybe have a word with the vet if you're worried. Could be neurological of course, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a major worry, just a quirk... Has it only just come on or has it been like this since he moved in?

Carpet is a bit unsteady on his legs and will quite often stumble and fall over. I'm not sure whether to be worried or not. He's eating fine, is well in himself and alert and affectionate. He also has a "mad half hour" in the mornings which involves dashing around at full speed. :hmm:

Get the vet to check it out when he's next in, but if he's ok and acting normally I wouldn't worry. Max had very weak back legs (we think he was probably the runt of the litter) and was exactly the same and had the shittest balance of any cat I ever knew :D But there was nothing wrong with him at all and it only became an issue when he was very old in his last few weeks of life when he couldn't really jump or balance any more :(

Will he let you touch his legs? My experience is most cats aren't that fond of it to begin with, but it should be reasonably apparent if there's some kind of discomfort when you get to a specific area. How old is he? Arthritis? (Unlikely if there are mad half hours though.) If he seems otherwise fine just keep an eye on it and maybe have a word with the vet if you're worried. Could be neurological of course, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a major worry, just a quirk... Has it only just come on or has it been like this since he moved in?
The vet thinks he's about two, so relatively young. I have to be careful touching his legs and belly, even though he's started rolling on his back at my feet because he tends to lash out with claws extended. I don't *think* that's because he's in pain, rather that he hasn't learned the proper etiquette yet.

With respect CRI your domestic pet situation does leave us all with several potential avenues to explore here
True. It wasn't Malcolm or Griff. Now THAT would have been a feat! :)

Speaking of which, I know this isn't the guinea pig thread, but folks who know (of at least) Griff, send some positive vibes. Little bugger got hay in his left eye a week ago, went to the vets, got the antibiotics and stuff, all clear by Monday. Yay. Then last night, the RIGHT eye was inflamed. I used the left over medicine last night and today, but he's marching off to the vets again in the morning. He likes his vet. He may be doing stuff deliberately to go see him. Poor wee sod though, it looks really awful.

The vet thinks he's about two, so relatively young. I have to be careful touching his legs and belly, even though he's started rolling on his back at my feet because he tends to lash out with claws extended. I don't *think* that's because he's in pain, rather that he hasn't learned the proper etiquette yet.

yeah, shouldn't take that long for him to work out that he dosen't have to draw blood to be listened to.

True. It wasn't Malcolm or Griff. Now THAT would have been a feat! :)

Speaking of which, I know this isn't the guinea pig thread, but folks who know (of at least) Griff, send some positive vibes. Little bugger got hay in his left eye a week ago, went to the vets, got the antibiotics and stuff, all clear by Monday. Yay. Then last night, the RIGHT eye was inflamed. I used the left over medicine last night and today, but he's marching off to the vets again in the morning. He likes his vet. He may be doing stuff deliberately to go see him. Poor wee sod though, it looks really awful.

:(

get well soon, griff

:meep:

I just don't "get" Clive - this morning, he was up in his tree. As usual I went over to him to see if I could sneak a stroke. Went through the usual routine of letting him see and then sniff my hand. Then, ever so gently, touched his tail, gentle foot scritch - NO PULLING AWAY. Then went for an ear itch, no problem. Then a head rub and general ear stroking - all fine. Round by the jaw line - Oh! that's spot on, Dad. Don't stop there. Under chin scratch - LUVELY! Head and shoulder stroke, gradually extending to down his back, repeated until there's a little ball of "tumble fur" generated. Back to the head and chin area (my hand and arm's beginning to ache now btw). MORE! MORE! MORE! Don't stop, dammit

Tried swapping arms over - this can be the "deal breaker" when it comes to stroking cats, I've noticed. One arm is fine but try the other, non-approved arm and it's a whole different ball game - no problem with the right arm either - Oh well, in for a penny as in for a pound - go for a tentative tummy rum (always a high provocative area) got a couple of gentle strokes in, no problem (looks like he may be a tummy rubbing cat when he's fully broken in ( :rolleyes::facepalm: yes, I know, cat getting broken in))

Then he turns around, catches one look of what's actually going on and stands up and walks away with a look of shock and horror on his face about what's just happened - he did like it, I could feel (not hear btw) a bit of a purr starting then ups and offs

:(

get well soon, griff

:meep:
Fake Cat Post: Griff's got a scratch on the surface of the eye, so it's another round of antibiotics, corneal repair gel and anti-inflammatories. Didn't look as bad as I feared this morning. He does love the vet though. Was kissing his hand (occasionally a bit over excited and nibbling, but as with real cats, teeth are always there, always a risk!) :)

I just don't "get" Clive - this morning, he was up in his tree. As usual I went over to him to see if I could sneak a stroke. Went through the usual routine of letting him see and then sniff my hand. Then, ever so gently, touched his tail, gentle foot scritch - NO PULLING AWAY. Then went for an ear itch, no problem. Then a head rub and general ear stroking - all fine. Round by the jaw line - Oh! that's spot on, Dad. Don't stop there. Under chin scratch - LUVELY! Head and shoulder stroke, gradually extending to down his back, repeated until there's a little ball of "tumble fur" generated. Back to the head and chin area (my hand and arm's beginning to ache now btw). MORE! MORE! MORE! Don't stop, dammit

Tried swapping arms over - this can be the "deal breaker" when it comes to stroking cats, I've noticed. One arm is fine but try the other, non-approved arm and it's a whole different ball game - no problem with the right arm either - Oh well, in for a penny as in for a pound - go for a tentative tummy rum (always a high provocative area) got a couple of gentle strokes in, no problem (looks like he may be a tummy rubbing cat when he's fully broken in ( :rolleyes::facepalm: yes, I know, cat getting broken in))

Then he turns around, catches one look of what's actually going on and stands up and walks away with a look of shock and horror on his face about what's just happened - he did like it, I could feel (not hear btw) a bit of a purr starting then ups and offs

the old feline existential crisis

h59644B62

:p

dunno really.

it's not that uncommon for cats to enjoy being petted for a while but then decide they have had enough - there are a few theories why, but you'd really have to ask a cat...

I wouldn't mind if he had a certain "fuss" threshold, which, once reached, resulted in some form of "No Mor Hoomanz"

But I know for a fact that tonight I'll go home and try to do the exact same thing, whilst he's in the exact same nest in his tree and he'll get up and walk away with a look of horror and what the fuck do you think you're trying to do to me on his face and then five minutes later, he'll take a treat from my hand - they still are very nervous, Clive, obviously, not so much, but still a very scaredy cat indeed

Oh I have a feeling Tip will be back. He knows where the good food is. Perhaps he'll decide on a house share. I suspect you and his real humans will have little say in the matter :)

Oh I have a feeling Tip will be back. He knows where the good food is. Perhaps he'll decide on a house share. I suspect you and his real humans will have little say in the matter :)

You've hit the nail on the head. It turns out he lives round the corner and has never been considered missing. The little fucker would run in and eat 3 foils of catfood in one sitting like he hadn't seen food for days. He'd do this every day. No more double dinners for Tip

Dearest Noodle,

While I do appreciate that it's your mission in life to enjoy absolutely anything even remotely dible, I'll not be giving you any more cream. Devastating for you, I know, but you having just vomited a huge quantity of distilled Evilness into my lap right after consuming the aforementioned substance means you will no longer have access to it.

Dearest Noodle,

While I do appreciate that it's your mission in life to enjoy absolutely anything even remotely dible, I'll not be giving you any more cream. Devastating for you, I know, but you having just vomited a huge quantity of distilled Evilness into my lap right after consuming the aforementioned substance means you will no longer have access to it.

Most cats are lactose intolerant, but if you ever have some natural (unsweetened) plain yoghurt it's ok to let the cat have a little lick of yoghurt off the end of your finger or the discarded foil lid, that tends to go down well as is much lower in lactose than milk or cream.

Most cats are lactose intolerant, but if you ever have some natural (unsweetened) plain yoghurt it's ok to let the cat have a little lick off the end of your finger or the discarded foil lid, that tends to go down well as is much lower in lactose than milk or cream.

Ah, right. We don't give them regular milk (the occasional saucer of cat milk is given). I'll have a look for some natural plain yoghurt next time I'm out shopping and give them a very small taste each. Thanks for the tip.

Most cats are lactose intolerant, but if you ever have some natural (unsweetened) plain yoghurt it's ok to let the cat have a little lick of yoghurt off the end of your finger or the discarded foil lid, that tends to go down well as is much lower in lactose than milk or cream.

it's a matter of degree. some respond worse than others ime.

it's a matter of degree. some respond worse than others ime.

True, but tbh dairy products should never be anything more than a tiny bit even if it doesn't give them a rampant tummy upset, it's not part of their natural diet.

Nearly four years after moving in together this pair have finally snuggled up together for the first time. They've always got on ok but not had a huge amount to do with each other. Archie's too boisterous for Higgins really, but this was yesterday :) They've been united by a new, squawky, common enemy so must be finding comfort in each other :cool:

arch%20and%20higgins.jpg

That gives my hope for my two :)

And it is my two still, because, weirdly, Moonie started behaving very differently when she returned this time. She and Perry aren't friends but right now, for example, they're sitting on neighbouring chairs both washing themselves. :) She's also become more affectionate to us. The key seems to be letting her out for a few hours in the afternoon. Also bribing them with catnip whenever they're near each other without fighting. Drugs are the answer B)

Back
Top Bottom