Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

View attachment 82540

Was just looking through some oooooooold photo albums and found this one of Katze, a very cheeky half Maine Coon I shared a flat with 31 years ago. I think then, they were still trying to revive the breed after it had nearly died out, so even "full" Maine Coons from the early 80's looked a bit like this fella. Reminded me of trashpony 's Loki!

Interesting - I had a couple of half Maine Coon cats twenty odd years ago (born 1990) and they didn't look like Maine Coons at all although their mum was a pedigree one. They were both white with tabby/tortie (in the case of the female) bits.

Reactions: CRI
Oh yeah, their faces are a lot fuller now, aren't they? Not as pointy. Katze looked top though :cool:

Interesting - I had a couple of half Maine Coon cats twenty odd years ago (born 1990) and they didn't look like Maine Coons at all although their mum was a pedigree one. They were both white with tabby/tortie (in the case of the female) bits.

I think the main difference is that they breed for HUGE ears, but they do still vary. Any coat colour or pattern is accepted apart from pointed, like a siamese, and often the colours you get can be really random. These are Breeze's mum, dad and brother, respectively. All totally different colours!

Mariah-1-jr-.jpg Santo-domingo-1-jaar-2-jpg.jpg Miami 11.jpg

I think Breeze has a sort of stubbier nose than most Maine Coons. I can see from the photo of Katze that he did have the big paws!

He wasn't allowed on the counter, but most of the time, he could just reach up and grab whatever he wanted, being so long. He could open cupboard doors, so it wasn't unusual to find a trail of biscuits around the flat when you returned. If you caught him, he'd go hide among the large collection of cuddly toys on his human's bed and stay very, very still. Clever boy! :)

I think they were still adding "fresh" cats into the Maine Coon gene pool even in the 80's, maybe 90's. I'm not quite sure how that works with getting them registered, but breeders seemed to look out for barn cats with typical Maine Coon features to introduce into bloodlines.

Beautiful cats!

My two half Maine Coons were short haired and apart from perhaps slightly longer/thicker fur than most cats they were indistinguishable from standard domestic shorthairs.

They didn't have those ear tufts or anything.

Beautiful cats!

My two half Maine Coons were short haired and apart from perhaps slightly longer/thicker fur than most cats they were indistinguishable from standard domestic shorthairs.

They didn't have those ear tufts or anything.

Going back on the Maine Coon version of Ancestry.com, I found some of Breeze's ancestors who don't look very much like modern Maine Coons, so yours were probably not at all unusual. Here are some (names, left to right)

Purricoon Tom Sawyer (born 1984), Heidi Ho Sirronde of Purrocious (born 1983), Coonquest Beaujolais of Hillside (born 1987), McKittycreek John Jr (born 1993), Kanab Luanne Peach Schnapps (born 1989)

5004742-1.jpg
936337-1.jpg
176007-1.jpg

5015379-1.jpg
5013914-1.jpg

But, even some of the first generations, born in the late 60's, had the ear tufts, fluffy tails, manes and big kitten mittens, not all that different from the ones you get today.

(Sorry for making the thread "Maine Coon Central" for a bit) *sorry, not sorry* :)

But, even some of the first generations, born in the late 60's, had the ear tufts, fluffy tails, manes and big kitten mittens, not all that different from the ones you get today.

(Sorry for making the thread "Maine Coon Central" for a bit) *sorry, not sorry* :)

No, I like Maine Coon central for a bit!

McKittycreek John Jr looks like an ordinary cat, albeit an exceptionally gorgeous one. All lovely cats.

It's probably stupid that I already feel sick with worry but Brad hasn't come home this morning. He often stays out all night but when he does, he's sat outside the door when I get up in the morning. He wasn't there this morning and he's still not come back. I'm really hoping he's got shut in somewhere but I've checked the place where he's accidentally been shut in by a neighbour before :(

It's probably stupid that I already feel sick with worry but Brad hasn't come home this morning. He often stays out all night but when he does, he's sat outside the door when I get up in the morning. He wasn't there this morning and he's still not come back. I'm really hoping he's got shut in somewhere but I've checked the place where he's accidentally been shut in by a neighbour before :(
I'd feel the same. Hope he wanders home soon.

He's back.:) I went looking for him again and found him asleep on one of next door's garden chairs. I think he must have had something happen in the night for him to still be sleep at this time. Anyway, he's warming himself on the radiator now. Im going to keep an eye on him to make sure he's ok.
12573830_10208425121769638_7577367739743455407_n.jpg

He's back.:) I went looking for him again and found him asleep on one of next door's garden chairs. I think he must have had something happen in the night for him to still be sleep at this time. Anyway, he's warming himself on the radiator now. Im going to keep an eye on him to make sure he's ok.
12573830_10208425121769638_7577367739743455407_n.jpg

is there a technical term for that sort of radiator? as in a 'cat warmer'?

Just noticed he's got a few scratches and his ear looks sore. It looks like he's had a fight :(

:(

Poor baby! :(

Despite Loki being a very beautiful cat, he's being a complete pain in the arse at the moment. Every time the foal walks away from the kitchen and leaves any liquid in his cup, Loki jumps up and knocks the bloody thing over. I thought it was because he was trying to drink from the plastic cups and it was an accident because they were so light but no, I saw him today and he deliberately pulled over a mug of water. Gitface :mad:

I managed to catch Moonie today. :)

We have to return her to the cat charity though. She's just not happy - attacking Perry, pissing everywhere, running away all the time. I feel really guilty and want to keep her but it wouldn't be right.

I managed to catch Moonie today. :)

We have to return her to the cat charity though. She's just not happy - attacking Perry, pissing everywhere, running away all the time. I feel really guilty and want to keep her but it wouldn't be right.
That's sad :( Maybe she'll be happier as an only cat though.

Just come back from one of our impromptu visits to the shelter from where we got FiFi

Had loads of goes on MORE APPRECIATIVE CATS (writ large for the benefit of our ungrateful 3) - noticed that Mrs Voltz's bag wasn't searched on the way out - potential smuggling opportunity on other visits perhaps?

Re-checked our current situation with helpers there and there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about - always nice to sense check things with other people though - useful from a re-calibration point of view as well - whilst there 2 cats in adjacent pens had a bit of a hiss and a general "yeah? Yeah! Yeah? YEAH!" session - the kind that worries Mrs Voltz a bit and I tend to ignore as general cat stuff - volunteer up there didn't bat an eyelid, so took that as normal cat stuff

And for the record - we're still at 3

What do Dylan and Hendrix make of him Ms T?

Sorry about Moonie scifisam - I don't know if you remember but I adopted a pair of cats for a while who were miserable here before I got my boys. It was very hard taking them back but it was the right thing to do (Elliot called them the ghost cats because they hid from us all the time)

What do Dylan and Hendrix make of him Ms T?

Sorry about Moonie scifisam - I don't know if you remember but I adopted a pair of cats for a while who were miserable here before I got my boys. It was very hard taking them back but it was the right thing to do (Elliot called them the ghost cats because they hid from us all the time)
They're ignoring him in the hope he'll go away and he is respecting their personal space! I think it will be fine as none of them are particularly aggressive or dominant. I'm sure there'll be the odd spat but tbh Dylan and Hendrix have a go at each other on occasion anyway.

They're ignoring him in the hope he'll go away and he is respecting their personal space! I think it will be fine as none of them are particularly aggressive or dominant. I'm sure there'll be the odd spat but tbh Dylan and Hendrix have a go at each other on occasion anyway.

if he's been hanging about outside for a while, then most of the diplomacy will likely already have been taken care of there.

Now Moonie's being friendlier and I'm tempted to try again for a couple of days. I'll have to put a plastic sheet on the bed though.

About a month go my tabby barfed on my laptop.

Despite cleaning it up as well as I could, some had soaked into the screen panel, affecting a corner of the picture and some must have got into the machine itself and rotted something important as a couple of days ago it died completely.

I now have a shiny new laptop - and I felt like shopping for a new cat but compassion prevailed! :D

A massive bed with fluffy blankets all to herself, and she climbs in the shitty £3 flimsy cat bed that's on top of it.

It was a bit chilly so I covered her up.

Back
Top Bottom