Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

welcome to the thread, miss p

cat-smiley.gif

Miss P doesn't half poo a lot! :hmm: I've not had the opportunity to observe a cat's habits close up for a while, and it's surprising what comes out of them :D However much food we give her, she scarfs it all down at once and she's in the litter tray a few minutes later.

It is with deep sadness and great woe that I report the death of my gentle little pink-nosed chap.

I came home from work to find him in distress, open-mouthed breathing and drooling profusely. His paws were wet with it, and streaked with pink.

I called the vet immediately and said that I wanted to bring him in.

I was hoping it was an acute lung infection but feared a heart attack.

When I picked him up he was so weak and limp. When he struggled against being put into the carrier, it made him gasp for breath. On the way to the vet I put my fingers through the bars of the carrier and he nuzzled his nose against me, and wrapped his toes around the tip of my finger. I said to the friend who was with me "I have a bad feeling about this...."

The vet listened to his chest and said it sounded "horrible". She tried to draw any fluid off, but there wasn't any. The X-Ray showed a lot of white, but it was hard to know if it was fluid or perhaps masses of tumours.

Anyway, with all the to-ing and fro-ing between rooms, and ABx shots and attempts to give him oxygen and so forth, he got increasingly distressed and the distress was making him more and more hypoxic. And as he struggled more for breathe, he panicked more, and that made it worse again, and so forth.

I said "He's dying right now. He's drowning for breath" and the vet said "Shall we help him?"

I said "We need to put him to sleep, don't we..." And it as very fast after that, almost a race between the cat fighting for each diminishing breath, and the vet getting the poison into his vein.

He strained and struggled at the end, crying out and his throat swelling with the effort. I held him and kept talking to him, I think I was saying "I got you fella, I got you, I'm right here, I got you safe fella". Right at the end he looked at me, right into my eyes. I remembered to say Thank you to him, for his sweet gentle companionship and his loyalty. And then the fighting lessened and slowed, and his breathe became more shallow, and then it stopped. He twitched and switched a couple of times, in his neck and throat; it seemed to me to be the desperate muscle spasm of grasping-for-air released.

Not an easy death: certainly not for him, and not for me neither.

Then I was holding him as all the fluids flowed out of him. I tucked his tail neatly between his legs and stroked his ears until they became chilly. The vet came back and we wrapped him in a towel and brought him home.

One-eyed-jack-cat is prowling about, purring and miaEowing intermittently. It's going to take a bit of time for us to adjust to the new gap in the home.

story - I am so very sorry to hear that, sounds like the poor lad was in horrible distress and you did the only thing you could do for him. What an awful thing to go through, for both of you, it's not the peaceful end any of us would want for our beloved pets, and I'm not surprised you feel shaken up right now as you've been through something traumatic. :(

Try to get some sleep and think of happier times with him, I know that's easier said than done but it's the only advice I can offer. Sympathies to you (((story))).

Oh gosh, story. So sorry for your loss. That sounds very hard indeed, but I'm (sort of) glad you got all those details of his last tail so well in case it makes it more possible to process.

Hugs.

so sorry, story. Sounds like you did a champion job in a horrible situation. RIP pink-nosed cat and condolences to his now lonely fellow cat in the story household.

Oh god story what a horrible thing to happen. Thank goodness you were able to get him to the vets and you were able to say goodbye.

Thanks for all your kind words.

I do feel a bit overwhelmed and shocked by it. He was really fighting for breath, his ribs were heaving away but he wasn't getting any air at all.

But apart from that very traumatic bit, there was also some time when he was resting trustingly in the crook of my arm, his face pressed against me and it felt very loving and kind. It was when the vet started trying all kinds of different interventions that he started to panic and it all got more dramatic.

I've skived work today. I was only doing a short day anyway, but I was so wiped out when I eventually got to bed, and I have to bury the body today, and one-eyed-jack-cat woke me up repeatedly through the night with loud cries of "Where are you?! Where is he?! Where's everyone gone?!" that I didn't have the heart to leave him. I'd call back to him, and he'd run in and leap on the bed and push up against my hand purring hard, and squirm and squiggle until he settled. Then I'd fall asleep, only to be woken and hour or so later with the same routine.

Today he's been my shadow. He won't leave my side, and whenever I'm sitting (like now) he's on my lap with his head buried in the curve of my elbow.

One-eyed-jack-cat is actually grandfather to Pink-nosed-chap.

I think it probably was a massive heart attack rather than an infection. There was no other sign of an acute infection: his temperature was normal, his third eyelid wasn't visible. I suppose it could have been tumours, but before last night there has been absolutely no sign or indication of respiratory problems or pain or discomfort.

I don't suppose it matters a great deal. I'm only mildly curious, although that might change as time passes.

Poor little fella. He didn't die easy, although I suppose I should take comfort from the fact that it was pretty fast. He was seen to be well at about 3:00 in the afternoon, apparently. So whatever happened came on right quick.

We keep getting visits form this little guy on the balcony. Not sure why s/he likes it so much here. Alfie was initially intrigued but is not really that happy about an intruder on his turf so I try and gently shush the kitten away for his/her own safety. I think this one may have been abandoned but not sure and there is probably no way to find out

Last edited:
Story, I'm so sorry to read all of that. What an ordeal for both of you. Actually, to say 'what an ordeal' doesn't do it justice at all. You're a very strong person, or so it seems to me when I read what you write on here, but allow yourself to not be strong. Look after yourself.

Hello cat and kitten thread. The Molly cat and I are accomplished lurkers on this thread, but we have decided to come out of lurk mode. Molly's not happy due to the arrival of New Cat.

Here's Molly in happier times:

Pie9.jpg

And here's Molly totally chilled out in happier times:

Pie10.jpg

And here is New Cat while he was still Visiting Cat:

Smudge8.jpg

And here's New Cat, after getting resident status:

Smudge7.jpg

New Cat (called Smudge by my neighbour) arrived as a stray about a month ago, he was in a right old state (skinny, dirty, broken tail), but one of my neighbours took him in. She then did a poster campaign, phoned all the local vets, but no-one came forward to reclaim Smudge. So she started to foster him (there was a never a chance she was going to adopt him, she already has three other cats and a part-time puppy to look after). After Smudge got his strength back he started exploring the gardens and arrived on our doorstep regularly. When the neighbour told us she was looking for a new home for him, we took him in. He's gorgeous with a lovely personality.

We did all the recommended things for introducing New Cat to Resident Cat, but Resident Cat just isn't having it. She's really really unhappy and all her routines are disrupted and she just doesn't have the confidence to reclaim her stake in the house. She's bottom cat.

So we've now realised that Smudge can't stay, it's just totally unfair on Molly. So with a heavy heart (have I said how lovely he is?) we're looking for a home for Smudge. We've been in touch with Battersea (who registered him as Found, but there's no Lost match for him there either), but they don't re-home cats from people's homes.

So I'm wondering whether there's anyone here (in South London) who has a big cat shaped hole in their life that could be expertly filled with the love of a big fluffy tomcat with green eyes and an enormous appetite by any chance?

Or any ideas where we can find a new home otherwise?

Smudge has lived with other cats (and the part-time puppy) no problem, he's also totally chilled out around children. He's very laid back, playful, extremely friendly and a total lap-cat. The vet thinks Smudge is 7/8 years old, he's been neutered. He likes exploring and therefore needs a garden. He's made our home his home very quickly, and comes back in when called (when in earshot).

Two things one should be aware of:

Smudge has a monster appetite, he eats absolutely everything in his path, that includes your food and the food of any other animal in the house, so we're feeding him separately to Molly and keeping the doors closed while the feeding goes on. Unchecked Smudge has the potential to get overweight.

When Smudge was first examined by the emergency vet, there was talk of having his broken tail amputated, but in the end my neighbour decided to see how it goes. So Smudge has a broken tail, which doesn't seem to bother him, but it means his toilet routine goes a little wrong every now and then. He uses the litter tray, but prefers to go outdoors. What I do when he comes in, is lift up the tail, and wipe a baby wipe over his tail and bum, just to make sure. So that can be a bit icky.

Reactions: CRI
Had a fitful night's sleep last night as Barts (my black cat) was out of sorts. She wasn't interested in food or treats and kept going to sit by herself in the bathroom. She even pooped on the floor even though the litter tray had been cleaned on Monday, so I thought I'd check it. Remnants of a mouse inside so presumably thats why she didn't want to use it and probably why she wasn't interested in food!

She was back to normal this morning, waking me up and gobbling her food the minute it went down!

Unfortunately I can't take him due to the toilet issues because of some health stuff I've got going on at the mo :( Which is a shame as he's gorgeous :( If you don't have any luck with anyone here you could try Celia Hammond for rehoming as well Celia Hammond Animal Trust - UK Animal Rescue Charity

Might also be worth doing a separate thread in community for people who don't necessarily look at this thread :)

Unfortunately I can't take him due to the toilet issues because of some health stuff I've got going on at the mo :( Which is a shame as he's gorgeous :( If you don't have any luck with anyone here you could try Celia Hammond for rehoming as well Celia Hammond Animal Trust - UK Animal Rescue Charity

Might also be worth doing a separate thread in community for people who don't necessarily look at this thread :)

Thanks for the tips :), will start by posting a thread in community, great idea, I've also started emailing friends to spread the word. I hope you find another great cat, I'm sure you will. So sorry to hear about the health stuff, I hope you're on the mend. :(

You're spot on, he is gorgeous. I'm sure there'll be a home for him. If it wasn't for Molly, we'd keep him.

Back
Top Bottom