Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

I've ordered a microchip cat flap so when I've put it in she'll be free to come and go as she pleases. Unless I set a curfew which you can do.

I went for a minimally programmable one rather than a WiFi one which sends you a notification when the cat goes in or out. That's too much knowledge for me. This one has an LED display where you can see if the cat is in or out.

One of my friends not only has the WiFi one but GPS collars for her cats. I cannot see this being reassuring.
Ours is pretty basic but they have a curfew - anyone coming in after 10pm can't get out again till 6am. Seems to work pretty well, except Dobey has mastered sneaking in so gently that the flap stays slightly ajar and doesn't lock after him. :mad:

I'm sitting in the garden waiting for her to come back. I have total faith that she will. Despite her having ignored treat bag shaking and biscuit bag shaking and name calling.

Total faith... :hmm: :hmm: :eek:

Has she??
Not yet. I strongly suspect she's hiding under a bush.

She may be pissed off with me because I didn't let her out before I went out and I didn't feed her when I got back (because they say to let them out hungry - that may have backfired if she's investigating alternative food sources).

If she's not back by 7 which is dinner time it's time to worry.

I can my feel my cat's (Rusty) microchip... But yeah, when the time comes I shall take her to the vet. When I took Rusty they felt her up and said she wasn't pregnant. Then she started getting very big and had lots of kittens. Of course now I'm worried Precious might not have been neutured. :oops: I can't deal with lots of kittens again. Once was amazing, but quite enough!!! :D

Update! Last week we found out he's actually a boy - 2 years old and neutered. His keepers live on the block of flats near us, but since the scaffolding went up he kept escaping and they struggled to bring him back up. They thought it'd be best to rehome him (also they have a new baby). Since then I've been inviting him in whenever I see him. And then at the weekend he worked out the cat flap. Rusty and Precious are getting on pretty well (i.e. no major hissing, and no fighting at all - I've been feeding them at the same time and making sure both have space and attention)

As LeytonCatLady rightly said (I naively thought the chip was always it the same place) - you can't always feel the chip. This means our cat flat detects it only after new cat has gone through! We're going to try to program it today to increase the range. For now the flap is open all the time.

So looks like we will be having a new addition to the family. He squeaks a lot, so his other name is Squeaks.

Attachments

• Squeaks.mp4
    4.3 MB
Last edited:
Update! Last week we found out he's actually a boy - 2 years old and neutered. His keepers live on the block of flats near us, but since the scaffolding went up he kept escaping and they struggled to bring him back up. They thought it'd be best to rehome him (also they have a new baby). Since then I've been inviting him in whenever I see him. And then at the weekend he worked out the cat flap. Rusty and Precious are getting on pretty well (i.e. no major hissing, and no fighting at all - I've been feeding them at the same time and making sure both have space and attention)

As LeytonCatLady rightly said (I naively thought the chip was always it the same place) - you can't always feel the chip. This means our cat flat detects it only after new cat has gone through! We're going to try to program it today to increase the range. For now the flap is open all the time.

So looks like we will be having a new addition to the family. He squeaks a lot, so his other name is Squeaks.
He probably thinks he's found a peaceful haven in your home if his previous owners have a new baby. If I was a cat I'd be doing the same thing!

"i are mighty hunter. fear me. squeak"

He probably thinks he's found a peaceful haven in your home if his previous owners have a new baby. If I was a cat I'd be doing the same thing!

current kitteh next door started off with previous downstairs neighbours, and decided she was moving house because of noisy baby...

So, this morning I woke up and on my way downstairs I saw his beautiful face followed by squeaks!

Increasing the cat flap range has worked, and he let himself in at some point while we slept - will check the camera later on to see exactly what time.

edit: There he is, breaking through at 6:37am!!!!
View attachment Mr P Squeaks.mp4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom