Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

Just got back from a few days away and there is something wrong with Ken's ear :/ He's holding it funny and shaking his head lot, and won't let me investigate. He also has a sad look on his face, though that could be reproach for the holiday. Vet appointment this afternoon. I've now taken him five times for non vaccination reasons and his brother hasn't been at all :D
Sounds like ear mites.
A fiver's worth of ear drops should sort it out.

Apparently not, sadly. The vet said it could be a middle ear infection or some kind of polyp which is quite common in younger cats. He's had antibiotics so just waiting to see if they help. Not very much improvement so far :/
Sorry to hear that.
Mine kept shaking his head and scratching his ear. It was horrid to watch as he just didn't stop.
A little bit of ear mite powder was instantly effective.

Apparently not, sadly. The vet said it could be a middle ear infection or some kind of polyp which is quite common in younger cats. He's had antibiotics so just waiting to see if they help. Not very much improvement so far :/
I very much hope that it's not polyps, my Radar had them both ears and went through a horrible time with the surgery and recovery.
Ear infection much easier to treat!

Polyps are nasty as they can cause recurring ear infections but if it isn't too far down in the ear canal the vet may be able to cauterise it.

Polyps are nasty as they can cause recurring ear infections but if it isn't too far down in the ear canal the vet may be able to cauterise it.

He said they're easily treated, they just yank them out! I'm hoping it's not anyway, just got to wait and see.

He said they're easily treated, they just yank them out! I'm hoping it's not anyway, just got to wait and see.
If they can do that sort of removal, then good, that's a much easier procedure.
Radar's surgery was more complicated and invasive and he got a lot of complications poor mite.

ee.jpg

My Tabbers had a little growth in her ear when a kitten. I waited for it to get smaller but it grew. Took her to the vet and they cut it out and examined. Turned out to be a small benign tumour. They said it wouldn't spread or have any other complications.

Now she's 9 years old and you can see how they cut it well so it would still look fairly normal in shape.

IMG_3946.jpg

I possibly unwisely had a first (and second) attempt at letting Carrie out in the garden today. The rescue said 4-6 weeks. Other places say 2-3.

It's been 2 weeks, but it just feels like we're wasting the summer sitting indoors with everything shut. She's so settled I couldn't imagine her not coming back and if anything thought she'd be more nervous than desperate to escape.

First attempt was just a brief one and went ok - she didn't go far and came back when called with crunching of treat bag.

Second attempt was more nerve-wracking as the first thing she did was jump over the wall into next door's garden and have a standoff with a fox. But anyway, again it went ok. She came back a few times before exploring again and in the end we decided enough was enough and went in.

Part of me worries that maybe she's a little runaway, but also I don't want to stress her out. Her fur was still standing on end when she came to sit on me this evening.

It's pretty terrifying the first few times (or the first many times with our two!) We came so close to losing Trafford. She sounds eminently sensible. Will she always go out with you, or be free to wander in and out at will?

It's pretty terrifying the first few times (or the first many times with our two!) We came so close to losing Trafford. She sounds eminently sensible. Will she always go out with you, or be free to wander in and out at will?
I've ordered a microchip cat flap so when I've put it in she'll be free to come and go as she pleases. Unless I set a curfew which you can do.

I went for a minimally programmable one rather than a WiFi one which sends you a notification when the cat goes in or out. That's too much knowledge for me. This one has an LED display where you can see if the cat is in or out.

One of my friends not only has the WiFi one but GPS collars for her cats. I cannot see this being reassuring.

I've ordered a microchip cat flap so when I've put it in she'll be free to come and go as she pleases. Unless I set a curfew which you can do.

I went for a minimally programmable one rather than a WiFi one which sends you a notification when the cat goes in or out. That's too much knowledge for me. This one has an LED display where you can see if the cat is in or out.

One of my friends not only has the WiFi one but GPS collars for her cats. I cannot see this being reassuring.
The trackers you can put on a collar are still very clunky and I don't think I'd be happy about one of my cats wearing one.

You'd think they would have found a way of making them a bit smaller by now, or even incorporate them in a microchip.

The trackers you can put on a collar are still very clunky and I don't think I'd be happy about one of my cats wearing one.

You'd think they would have found a way of making them a bit smaller by now, or even incorporate them in a microchip.
I haven't actually tried putting the collar I bought on her yet. Today was a bit of an impulse.

I haven't actually tried putting the collar I bought on her yet. Today was a bit of an impulse.
Only one of my cats wears a collar with an ID tag because he's a terrible roamer, although he's not quite so bad now he's 15 and feeling his age.

A few years ago I found out by chance that he was visiting a cat loving ex-rock star who has a mansion house about 2 miles across the fields to me!

When I moved into this flat I had the brilliant idea of putting cat flaps on my bedroom door, the toilet door and the music room door. So they could go anywhere they wanted. I bought 3 cat flaps in the excitement of "woo I'm going to get my cats soon". They are still in the boxes after 8 years because when I got the kitties I realised I can just leave the toilet and bedroom doors open and having them rummage around in the music room whenever they like was a bad idea.

Anyone want some cat flaps? :D

cat that lived with my (long time ago) partner never kept a collar on for more than a few hours. we gave up fairly rapidly.

he might have been content with a studded leather collar (he was the sort of cat who would pick fights with dogs) but we never tried that...

Yes to the first, you'd think they'd have managed to engineer them a bit smaller!

No to the second, a GPS tracker requires a power source/battery to transmit a signal and is not possible (or probably healthy) in an implant.
(I am having very amusing thoughts about the difficulty of plugging your cat in to charge though :D )

(I am having very amusing thoughts about the difficulty of plugging your cat in to charge though :D )

honey-i-think-you-overcharged-the-cat-again

Yes to the first, you'd think they'd have managed to engineer them a bit smaller!

No to the second, a GPS tracker requires a power source/battery to transmit a signal and is not possible (or probably healthy) in an implant.
Point taken!

Remember when the covid vaccine first came out and the anti-vaxxers were saying that the government were putting a microchip in the vaccine so they could track us wherever we went! If only that were possible it would make life a lot easier for us cat owners!

Point taken!

Remember when the covid vaccine first came out and the anti-vaxxers were saying that the government were putting a microchip in the vaccine so they could track us wherever we went! If only that were possible it would make life a lot easier for us cat owners!
My anti-vax housemate was very disapproving when I got Lilith microchipped for exactly that reason. I felt free to ignore him.

Back
Top Bottom