Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

editor said:
Is anyone who buys a flat in Brixton an "infesting yuppie" in your opinion, btw?
A smart (and they will be) newly redeveloped Edwardian one-bedroom flat right next to Brixton tube station for £250,000? Almost certainly. Have you SEEN Dover Mansions?

given the proximity of the flats to the tube, (Victoria line which IMO is the best in London) I think the amounts mentioned are pretty reasonable/likely.....

Pickman's model said:
:rolleyes: yeh. and this 'pre-accusing' thing - what does it mean? or is it a new editorism?
It's not really a winning strategy for you to try and play the pedantic card, is it? (or should that be 'pedantick'?)
:rolleyes:

Is my mate with a very small one bedroom flat in Effra Court a yuppie? He certainly earns a lot more than me, cos there's no way I could afford it - and I don't earn that far off the national average. I'm jealous as fuck, but I know it's hardly his fault. Owning a one-bedroom flat is hardly an unreasonable goal - as unattainable as it may be for most of us.

editor said:
It's not really a winning strategy for you to try and play the pedantic card, is it? (or should that be 'pedantick'?)
if you look back to the first page of this thread, you'll find i asked you what you meant by the phrase. come on, either it means something - or it doesn't. i don't know why you didn't answer the question then - something to hide?

what do you think it means?

An infester writes...

IntoStella said:
A smart (and they will be) newly redeveloped Edwardian one-bedroom flat right next to Brixton tube station for £250,000? Almost certainly. Have you SEEN Dover Mansions?

Well it depends what you call smart. Look at the websites of the local estate agents and you'd get something pretty luxury for £250k - in fact you could get a two bed with garden in central Brixton for that price:

Here's one on Canterbury Crescent for £137,500
http://www.haart.co.uk/properties/theproperty.asp?propid=524285&page=2&ref=/properties/search.asp&pdref=

And here's one just of the centre of Brixton on Pulross road for £175000 - much nicer than above Iceland IMHO.

http://www.haart.co.uk/properties/theproperty.asp?propid=410340&page=1&ref=/properties/search.asp&pdref=

So hands up who would refuse to buy somewhere on point of principle if they could afford to. I can think of a lot of friends who do socially useful jobs (e.g. aid workers, teachers) but with maybe one exception nobody who would refuse to buy a place on principle. The same amount of housing will exist regardless of whether you've bought or rented where you live. Or do you object to yuppies renting as well?

Pickman's model said:
if you look back to the first page of this thread, you'll find i asked you what you meant by the phrase. come on, either it means something - or it doesn't. i don't know why you didn't answer the question then - something to hide?

what do you think it means?
Christ, you're a fucking pedantic bore at times.

But seeing as you - and only you, please note - simply has to know what is quite probably clear to anyone else if they saw my words in context - I'll explain.

I used the phrase to describe the practice of accusing people of being yuppies before they even know who they are. So the 'infesting yuppie' accusation is a sort of a big metaphorical, jabbing finger floating above Electric Avenue, ready to loudly condemn anyone who buys a flat there, sorry "infests" the building.

I do hope this satisfies you. It's unlikely I'll use the phrase again, though.

Bob said:
So hands up who would refuse to buy somewhere on point of principle if they could afford to. I can think of a lot of friends who do socially useful jobs (e.g. aid workers, teachers) but with maybe one exception nobody who would refuse to buy a place on principle. The same amount of housing will exist regardless of whether you've bought or rented where you live. Or do you object to yuppies renting as well?
Another transparent attempt to derail the argument, which is about the vast majority of people not being able to afford to buy a home in Brixton. or much of London for that matter.

Your "socially useful" friends have not got a cat in hell's chance, whether they would if they could or not. It's a complete non-argument -- no matter how much social housing your friend Keith Fitchett flogs off at auction to the private sector.

an awful lot of u75 posters

I would like to say to any urban75 yuppie reading this thread that I apologise without reservation for any offence I may have caused.

Looking back over this thread I now realise how offensive my original post was. When I wrote:

It's now proposed to infest a key bit of the avenue with yups

this was a mis-statement. It should have read:

It's now proposed to deploy much-needed private capital to redevelop a neglected area of Brixton in the interest of the whole community

Once again, my apologies, especially any yuppie of small stature seeking to infe... inhabit one of these flats as part of a happy yuppie couple.

Bob said:
Well it depends what you call smart. Look at the websites of the local estate agents and you'd get something pretty luxury for £250k - in fact you could get a two bed with garden in central Brixton for that price:

Here's one on Canterbury Crescent for £137,500
http://www.haart.co.uk/properties/theproperty.asp?propid=524285&page=2&ref=/properties/search.asp&pdref=
That is not a conversion in a beautiful Victorian or Edwardian building. Be honest and compare like with like, bob.

Likewise, despite your HO, a flat right next to the tube is going to fetch a lot more than a comparable one in Pulross Road -- yuppies don't want to get mugged on the way home.

IntoStella said:
Another transparent attempt to derail the argument, which is about the vast majority of people not being able to afford to buy a home in Brixton. or much of London for that matter.
But everyone's agreeing that it's a disgrace that 'ordinary' people can't afford housing, the prices are a rip off, the housing market has gone mad etc etc.

What I don't agree with is the bigoted notion that anyone who buys a flat in Brixton - regardless of their background or circumstance - can be instantly pre-labelled as an "infesting yuppie".

Do you agree with that sentiment or not?

OldSlapper said:
I would like to say to any urban75 yuppie reading this thread that I apologise without reservation for any offence I may have caused.
Sarcasm. How hilarious!

Did you ever find the plans for the conversion or do you just, like, instinctively know the exact interior dimensions of all the proposed flats?

IntoStella said:
That is not a conversion in a beautiful Victorian or Edwardian building. Be honest and compare like with like, bob.

Likewise, despite your HO, a flat right next to the tube is going to fetch a lot more than a comparable one in Pulross Road -- yuppies don't want to get mugged on the way home.
In fact it's ex council!!!

Fuck me, bob, you've surpassed yourself on the slippery front this time.

IntoStella said:

Your "socially useful" friends have not got a cat in hell's chance, whether they would if they could or not. It's a complete non-argument -- no matter how much social housing your friend Keith Fitchett flogs off at auction to the private sector.

Starting pay for a teacher in London is c.£21k - so two teachers would earn £42k- so borrowing 3.5* their income they could borrow £147k. And that's for somebody straightout of teaching college so aged about 22. So yes quite a few people could afford this on quite normal jobs - and my post is relevant in that it shows that people can afford this.

Bob said:
Starting pay for a teacher in London is c.£21k - so two teachers would earn £42k- so borrowing 3.5* their income they could borrow £147k. And that's for somebody straightout of teaching college so aged about 22. So yes quite a few people could afford this on quite normal jobs - and my post is relevant in that it shows that people can afford this.
To buy a godforsaken hellhole of an ex council flat on Canterbury Gardens estate? Have you ever been in there? :eek:

editor said:
But everyone's agreeing that it's a disgrace that 'ordinary' people can't afford housing, the prices are a rip off, the housing market has gone mad etc etc.

What I don't agree with is the bigoted notion that anyone who buys a flat in Brixton - regardless of their background or circumstance - can be instantly pre-labelled as an "infesting yuppie".

Do you agree with that sentiment or not?
I have already said that in this particular case, it's obvious that the flats are to be purpose-built for ''infesting yuppies''.

IntoStella said:
To buy a godforsaken hellhole of an ex council flat on Canterbury Gardens estate? Have you ever been in there? :eek:

Seemed quite nice when I went there. :D Far nicer than where I've spent most of the last five years in Vauxhall living.

editor said:
My objection is this lazy labelling of anyone who buys a house in Brixton as an 'infesting yuppie'.

I wasn't aware that anyone had made a statement about people buying a house in Brixton being an "infesting yuppie", I thought they'd mentioned a specific development. Is that what you mean, or are you just on a free-style rant?

As it is, I think the developer in this case (going by the information posted) is pulling the usual (allowable but morally dubious) practice of developing under 14 units so that they avoid having to allow for any element of social housing. While in this case it may be due to space considerations, in most cases it is a deliberate policy to elevate the "exclusive" nature of the development, and allows the developer to charge a premium.

IntoStella said:
I have already said that in this particular case, it's obvious that the flats are to be purpose-built for ''infesting yuppies''.
Oh well, seeing as you already know the exact circumstances of everyone who's going to buy a flat there, there's not much point discussing it further.

There all yuppies! Every last one of them! My pre-packed prejudice tells me so!

Bob said:
Seemed quite nice when I went there. :D Far nicer than where I've spent most of the last five years in Vauxhall living.
That is beside the point. The point is that it is not a 'luxury'* conversion in an historically interesting and architecturally very beautiful block. It's a piece of ugly 1960s crap that is most probably leaking and riddled with damp. There is absolutely no comparison.

*AS they ALL are these days.

ViolentPanda said:
I wasn't aware that anyone had made a statement about people buying a house in Brixton being an "infesting yuppie", I thought they'd mentioned a specific development. Is that what you mean, or are you just on a free-style rant?.
Oh well, let's open up that question to the Yuppie Police.

OS/IS (those two abbreviations seem go together so well!): is someone buying a house for, say, £200,000 an infesting yuppie too? Or is only the ones who buy flats?

Where's hatboy when you need 'im?

I can't understand why anyone over the age of 30 would want to live in some flat in Brixton/Clapham/St. Reatham anyway....

Back
Top Bottom