Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

editor said:
Now what were you saying about "digging a hole"?

Answer the question please as it's entirely relevant to the debate. Refusing to do so just makes you look a little foolish.
Attacking Justin to cover the deficiencies in your own argument makes you look a little sleazy.

It's not the fucking point. The point is that most people have no choice about where or how they live because they cannot escape rampant market forces. And they have every right to be angry.

Justin has always been honest about his position on this and it is shared by a great many people who, surprisingly, don't fit your myth of non-yuppie coupledom.

If you move up the hill then you will be able to buy a one bedroom flat for £160 000 (still not cheap by a long stretch) but next to Brixton station a one bedroom flat will cost more, seems to be about £80 000 more - (info in case anyone is actually looking into buying)

I would say that flats RIGHT NEXT to tube stations are gonna cost, especially with such a fab line as the Victoria Line

The only sad case here is that the space has been left to rot, where the council could wade in, buy 'em up, and have them as council flats/HA, or whatever

christonabike said:
The only sad case here is that the space has been left to rot, where the council could wade in, buy 'em up, and have them as council flats/HA, or whatever
Absolutely. Same old story. :(

editor said:
Now what were you saying about "digging a hole"?

Answer the question please as it's entirely relevant to the debate. Refusing to do so just makes you look a little foolish.
Frankly I couldn't give a tinker's damn whether you consider it relevant or not. I don't like your previous remarks, I don't like youur attitude and I don't like your approach to debate.

I'll answer all the questions people want about home ownership, whether I would like to be part of it and so on. But in my own good time and in my own way. I won't be interrogated, certainly not by you, and certainly not after your previous remarks. You have a habit of tring to get after people on here. It's not a good habit, it destroys rather than contributesd to debate, and I won't respond to it.

Now I'm going to Guildford to play some chess.

I fail to see how justin objecting to the frankly absurd and obscene house prices in the UK makes him hate-filled.... :confused: :eek:

how long d'you think people will own those flats for?

i bet that you'll see those flats on the market again in less than five years, and at a substantial mark-up. have a look on estate agents' websites for flats in brixton less than £180,000, and for those for sale for more. there are very few flats in brixton for less than £180,000 - and in a year or two's time there'll be even fewer.

if 92% of londoners can't afford to get on the housing ladder now (from the evening standard) then it seems to me that those who can must be in a ltr with another earner, or on well above the average wage. as time goes by, the influx of m/c people will lead to soaring property prices, even worse than now, and those people will change the face of brixton. this may involve at first getting rid of the less picturesque sights like the dealers, but then it'll mean a larger change, larger than people have been moaning about so far. if the kingsland road experience in hackney's anything to go by, it's goodbye decent pubs and hello shite yuppie places. cherish the albert and that while you have them, for in a few years they'll have changed; and likely for the worse.

Pickman's model said:
how long d'you think people will own those flats for?

i bet that you'll see those flats on the market again in less than five years, and at a substantial mark-up. have a look on estate agents' websites for flats in brixton less than £180,000, and for those for sale for more. there are very few flats in brixton for less than £180,000 - and in a year or two's time there'll be even fewer.

if 92% of londoners can't afford to get on the housing ladder now (from the evening standard) then it seems to me that those who can must be in a ltr with another earner, or on well above the average wage. as time goes by, the influx of m/c people will lead to soaring property prices, even worse than now, and those people will change the face of brixton. this may involve at first getting rid of the less picturesque sights like the dealers, but then it'll mean a larger change, larger than people have been moaning about so far. if the kingsland road experience in hackney's anything to go by, it's goodbye decent pubs and hello shite yuppie places. cherish the albert and that while you have them, for in a few years they'll have changed; and likely for the worse.

Agreed, but is the solution to this problem to be found in dubbing anyone who can afford a property a yuppie? The vitriol of Justin seems to be misplaced. Perhaps it is more the Government's fault than the 'yuppie'?

OldSlapper said:
SilentNate? RaverDrew? IsVicthere? Fanta? There's four. You can tell they're wealthy young men about town from the way they post.

Come on Stella. Stop being such an old class warrior. Fanta works hard for his money. Why can't he spend it as he pleases?

PMSL :D OldSlapper you've made my day !!!

What makes you think I am a wealthy young man about town btw? You've obviously never met me. :D

Justin said:
I'll answer all the questions people want about home ownership, whether I would like to be part of it and so on. But in my own good time and in my own way. I won't be interrogated, certainly not by you, and certainly not after your previous remarks.... Now I'm going to Guildford to play some chess.
Ah. Gotcha. You're quick to dish out the insults about me 'digging a hole' but when you get caught out with what appears to be a blazing contradiction in your own argument it's time to take your toys away, eh?

(No need for IntoStella to interject here, btw)

chegrimandi said:
I fail to see how justin objecting to the frankly absurd and obscene house prices in the UK makes him hate-filled.... :confused: :eek:

exactly.
anyone know if these flats will be subject to ken's 50% social housing rule btw? or since they're technically a conversion perhaps they'd be exempt? :confused:

noodles said:
Agreed, but is the solution to this problem to be found in dubbing anyone who can afford a property a yuppie? The vitriol of Justin seems to be misplaced. Perhaps it is more the Government's fault than the 'yuppie'?
Vitriol. The term always used by dishonest tories to describe the genuine and justified anger of people who have been fucked over by them.

Let us spell out the basics again for the hard-of-thinking: you cannot buy a £250,000 flat unless you earn a fuck of a lot of money. Even if you are in a couple.

noodles said:
let's wait and see what the people who get these flats look like. but i would be surprised were they not yuppie scum.

editor said:
_813118_gotcha300.gif

:confused:

kea said:
exactly.
anyone know if these flats will be subject to ken's 50% social housing rule btw? or since they're technically a conversion perhaps they'd be exempt? :confused:

Not sure if they are or not so I may be attcked for saying the following as it is not fact:

I bet both my balls they are exempt.

IntoStella said:
Let us spell out the basics again for the hard-of-thinking: you cannot buy a £250,000 flat unless you earn a fuck of a lot of money. Even if you are in a couple.
Yes we know that. That's why I can't afford one.

But is it right that anyone who can afford one should be instantly dismissed out of hand as an "infesting yuppie"?

Mr Retro said:
Not sure if they are or not so I may be attcked for saying the following as it is not fact:

I bet both my balls they are exempt.
No need. :D The proposal is for.. . wait for it...
twelve 1 bedroom flats
That's three less than 15. Handily. Otherwise they would, I am sure, have been affected.

they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand as an 'infesting yuppie'. but they almost certainly are going to be, with the location and likely price of these flats.

Pickman's model said:
What the fuck are you confused about?

And why are you posting up a front page from the Sun for?

If you can't post up anything even remotely on topic, I suggest you don't post at all.

editor said:
Ah. Gotcha. You're quick to dish out the insults about me 'digging a hole' but when you get caught out with what appears to be a blazing contradiction in your own argument it's time to take your toys away, eh?

(No need for IntoStella to interject here, btw)
I fail to see how it needs dignifying with a response, tbh. :(

IntoStella said:
You can if you already own a property, or inherit a lump sum.

editor said:
What the fuck are you confused about?

And why are you posting up a front page from the Sun for?
you seem to think you've holed justin's argument below the waterline. hence the picture. but i'm confused because i don't think you have.

IntoStella said:
I fail to see how it needs dignifying with a response, tbh. :(
As expected, you simply couldn't resist.

:rolleyes:

Is anyone who buys a flat in Brixton an "infesting yuppie" in your opinion, btw?

Pickman's model said:
you seem to think you've holed justin's argument below the waterline. hence the picture. but i'm confused because i don't think you have.
Try using words if you want me to make sense of your posts.

Or, even better, don't bother.

Back
Top Bottom