Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

editor said:
I think Pickman's more interested in starting up another of his tedious, pedantic, nitpick-fests.

I'm not interested.
i'm interested in finding out what one of yr posts means, which is fair enough, i'd have thought.

you can think what you want - but that doesn't mean that yr right, or that you have the slightest inkling what i think or what i desire.

for someone so demanding of answers of other people, yr strangely reticent to provide any yrself, probably for very sound reasons which i can only guess at.

let's leave it that way, then, because i'm fairly certain my conclusions about yr silence are correct.

Pickman's model said:
let's leave it that way, then, because i'm fairly certain my conclusions about yr silence are correct.
It takes about ten seconds to find an explanation of the phrase "soap dodger".

I do not "dislike both yuppies and soap-dodgers", but I was agreeing with the point christonabike was making about sloppy stereotyping. If you don't understand that, take it up with him.

The End.

chegrimandi said:
anywhere with a Sainsburys local has been 'yuppiefied' - Discuss....

And anywhere with at least three market stalls selling tatty underwear and nightdresses printed with comic characters isn't - Discuss.

Your point? Or was it just a smartarse throwaway comment - it's hardly as though Sainsbury's & Tescos haven't made huge inroads nearly everywhere with their convenience store formats of late...

editor said:
It takes about ten seconds to find an explanation of the phrase "soap dodger".

I do not "dislike both yuppies and soap-dodgers", but I was agreeing with the point christonabike was making about sloppy stereotyping. If you don't understand that, take it up with him.

The End.
it wasn't the definition of soap-dodger - which you seem strangely obssessed with - that interested me but the relationship of soap-dodgers to yuppies, which you raised, describing them as two sides of the same coin. i understand that you don't want to elaborate on yr post, as neither would i if i'd made such a crass statement. best to move on and leave it, eh.

Pickman's model said:
it wasn't the definition of soap-dodger -.
It's clear you don't know what 'obsessive' means.

I've only used the word in one of my posts.

You're the one who keeps banging on and on about it like a fucking obsessed person with nothing better to do with their time.

tarannau said:
And anywhere with at least three market stalls selling tatty underwear and nightdresses printed with comic characters isn't - Discuss.

Your point? Or was it just a smartarse throwaway comment - it's hardly as though Sainsbury's & Tescos haven't made huge inroads nearly everywhere with their convenience store formats of late...

errr it was just a bit of a joke. Sorry I'll desist.

But there is a bit of truth behind it no? I'd say its a pretty good benchmark.

chegrimandi said:
errr it was just a bit of a joke. Sorry I'll desist.

Indeed. It was a cultural observation, which is always going to be a bit throwaway and inexact. As with generalisations.

But you have to make them in order to describe changes that you see in the world about you. And of course, all of them will be subject to all sorts of objections and can be dismissed for that reason. But eventually you find that a place has changed out of all recognition, that the little changes you claimed to detect - and were rubbished for it - turned out to be part of something very profound, and something which it is by then, too late to do anythng about.

Which leads us to wonder whether the observations are actually of more value than the objections.

chegrimandi said:
I avoid Sainsbury Local whenever I can, but aren't a lot of them shoved in petrol stations and motorway service stations?

editor said:
I avoid Sainsbury Local whenever I can, but aren't a lot of them shoved in petrol stations and motorway service stations?

yeh. but if we discount those ones....

thank fuck we haven't got one in stokie. Yet. We've got uber yuppie stuff like 'fresh and wild' and other assorted hippy shit. Stokie is yuppiefied in a sort of earth mother kind of way. We reject your chain store supermarket locals :D :D

christonabike said:
I thought the general consensus was that it was the fault of the council policy on social housing, and not that of the people buying these places

I find the term "yuppie" about as helpful as "soap-dodger"

But still we persist

"Council policy"? Definitely not. Most councils would love to have the power to develop their own social housing restored.
Government policy is to blame, or to be more accurate, policies. The "Right to Buy" policy is to blame, as is the subsequent (1983 iirc) policy which prevented councils from using "Right to Buy" receipts to develop new social housing. Then there was the policy in around 1985 which took the power to develop and build social housing entirely away from councils and gave it to "The Housing Corporation", the umbrella organisation for funding Housing Associations. Once this was done the fate of social housing was pretty much sealed, because it was obvious, both to the government and to the man on the street that no large scale development of social housing was going to take place again.
We could also blame "new" Labour policies which are now proposing to allow a version of "Right to Buy" for HA tenants.

chegrimandi said:

thank fuck we haven't got one in stokie. Yet. We've got uber yuppie stuff like 'fresh and wild' and other assorted hippy shit. Stokie is yuppiefied in a sort of earth mother kind of way. We reject your chain store supermarket locals :D :D
Stoke Newington is an interesting case of gentrification. The place has changed out of all recognition in 12 or 13 years. Which is great if you want antiques and scented candles. Don't be too sure the high st, rather than church st, won't get a tesco metro, waitrose or sainsbury's though. Do you drink in that pub where the punx go? I call it The Albert of the North.

chegrimandi said:

Well, you could always visit the Sainsbury's locals in Headcorn, Sutton Coldfield or Warrington for starters. Have a pop and call the locals yuppies if you like....

Still, I've cheered up immensely now I know that you've a Fresh N' Wild in Stokie. That's like the Porsche and Salmon Pink shirted brash 80's businessbastard of the organic food world - witness the Camden version, with its permanent assortment of beardie-stroking try-hards (wearing artful Armani berets) lined up in the window . I'd even prefer a Sainsbury's local to that ... and I fudging hate that place...

;)

tarannau said:
Well, you could always visit the Sainsbury's locals in Headcorn, Sutton Coldfield or Warrington for starters. Have a pop and call the locals yuppies if you like....
This is a rather strange selection. Are they supposed to resemble one another? Sutton Coldfield is a very nice area of Birmingham - in fact, as with Solihull, the locals don't really like to think of themselves as being in Birmingham - whereas Warrington is a not-very-nice area of Cheshire. Indeed, Cheshire likes to think of Warrington as somewhere else entirely...

tarannau said:

Still, I've cheered up immensely now I know that you've a Fresh N' Wild in Stokie. That's like the Porsche and Salmon Pink shirted brash 80's businessbastard of the organic food world - witness the Camden version, with its permanent assortment of beardie-stroking try-hards (wearing artful Armani berets) lined up in the window . I'd even prefer a Sainsbury's local to that ... and I fudging hate that place...

;)

thought I'd hand you that tasty morsel just in case you were thinking I was being mean only about Brixton.... :D

err and as for Sutton Coldfield....my mate that grew up there certainly seems to think its the posh bit... :confused: where all the villa footie players live.

chegrimandi said:
err and as for Sutton Coldfield....my mate that grew up there certainly seems to think its the posh bit... :confused: where all the villa footie players live.

Sutton Coldfield is definately posh, massive park.

chegrimandi said:
thought I'd hand you that tasty morsel just in case you were thinking I was being mean only about Brixton.... :D

Shite, I only chose Sutton Coldfield because it had a slightly twee name - rest assured that there were plenty of other branches of Sainsbury's Local in Brum though, probably in less ostentatious areas..

Ah well, your Sainsbury's Local theory may well not hold water too easily, but Fresh and Wild has provided another vital gentrification indicator if you ask me. Check out this list of the other UK branches - Notting Hill, Soho, Clifton (Bristol), Clapham and a couple of others.

Stokie's obviously posher than a particularly posh thing at Tara PT's Pimm's party...

:p

tarannau said:
, but Fresh and Wild has provided another vital gentrification indicator if you ask me.

if you think that camden is posh then I suggest you take a look around the tube station some time.

Stobart Stopper said:
What's this "Fresh and Wild" thingie? Is it for carrot munchers or something? Pet shop? :)

it's a bit like holland and barrett. lots of organic things.

tommers said:
if you think that camden is posh then I suggest you take a look around the tube station some time.

Worked there for 5 years, right down Bayham St. It is a mixing ground; part money-earning theme park for alternative middle-class kids and tourists, part rapidly gentrifying town. Two branches of Starbucks, a massive Gap and many old local shops and services closing down (NonTas, George & Nikis) in the past few years.

Camden central is remarkably posh - witness the recent luvvies campaign to save the Crown & Goose for example- but the number of drop in centres and hostels right in the centre at least make it appear outwardly mixed, much to many residents' disapproval..

Stobart Stopper said:
What's this "Fresh and Wild" thingie? Is it for carrot munchers or something? Pet shop? :)

its a heavily stylised rip off organic shop for right-on foolish twats with more money than they know what to do with.

Back
Top Bottom