Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

IntoStella said:
I wonder what John Lydon thinks of yuppies.

Just a random guess but somebody happy to appear on 'I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!' probably doesn't care that much.... ;)

You know, one of the annoying things about this thread is that if you look at the forums index, all it says is "Young... - and all this does is give me an earworm of Roy Orbison singing Young girl, get out of my mind. Which it won't.

Still, you've all got it now too. :)

kea said:
what about if someone who posts on this board were to die and leave you their entire, massive, estate? ;)
I'd make this site the best fucking free site in the universe, put on the best free gigs known to mankind and buy a new camera.

editor said:
I'd make this site the best fucking free site in the universe, put on the best free gigs known to mankind and buy a new camera.

can i have a grant to set up a home for stray cats? ;) i hear there are some empty properties in central brixton which might be avaialble ...

newbie said:
What term is inclusive and not seen as perjorative by anyone?

New residents? More recent residents?

In my experience it is shorthand terms / nicknames which become misused by some people and thus their meaning changes over time.

Justin said:
You know, one of the annoying things about this thread is that if you look at the forums index, all it says is "Young... - and all this does is give me an earworm of Roy Orbison singing Young girl, get out of my mind. Which it won't.

"Young girl" was by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, NOT Roy Orbison. You're probably thinking of "Pretty woman". :p

Justin said:

Wasn't that Gary Puckett and the Union Gap rather than Roy Orbison? :confused:

isvicthere? said:
"Young girl" was by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, NOT Roy Orbison. You're probably thinking of "Pretty woman". :p
No, I'm thinking of the right song, but quite likely the wrong singer. I used to hear it in a pub, the bloke who used to put it on was a big Orbison fan, you can see where the confusion comes from.

Anyway, are you enjoying it now?

IntoStella said:
I wonder what John Lydon thinks of yuppies.
Why don't you write and ask him?

Last I heard he was dividing his time between one house in California and another in Florida, having made a small fortune from property speculation.

I thought the general consensus was that it was the fault of the council policy on social housing, and not that of the people buying these places

I find the term "yuppie" about as helpful as "soap-dodger"

But still we persist

christonabike said:
I find the term "yuppie" about as helpful as "soap-dodger"
Perhaps, but if you take a stroll through the thread you may find that the debate has moved on a little and become rather more nuanced than your caricature would suggest. It's not necessarily helpful to that process to keep bringing up the same tired old point.

Justin said:
You know, one of the annoying things about this thread is that if you look at the forums index, all it says is "Young... - and all this does is give me an earworm of Roy Orbison singing Young girl, get out of my mind.
Same for me, only I've got Young, Gifted and Black* by Bob and Marcia.

(*And unable to afford to buy or rent a flat in Brixton.)

Reply to Justin, sorry about that I was trying to keep up, and noticed "yuppie" was still being bandied about in post 486, I added my comment not too many posts on

And another answer to a question, I do not mean anything by the term "soap-dodger" as I don't use it to mean anything - it was too make a point that crap words that mean little, and are used as a stereotype that doesn't fit all cases, can cause a ruck

Pickman's model said:
what d'you mean by 'soap-dodger'?
Why don't you ask christonabike seeing as he introduced the word in to the debate?

I know exactly what it means but I can't be arsed to tell someone who's too lazy to look it up.

Try using the internet. It's awfully useful, you know.

christonabike said:
And another answer to a question, I do not mean anything by the term "soap-dodger" as I don't use it to mean anything - it was too make a point that crap words that mean little, and are used as a stereotype that doesn't fit all cases, can cause a ruck
a) i wasn't asking you, but editor, who has set up 'soap-dodger' as something apparently diametrically opposed to 'yuppie'.

b) of course generalisations can only be partially true.

christonabike said:
Can't believe someone's never heard of it and the useless connotations it implies
I think Pickman's more interested in starting up another of his tedious, pedantic, nitpick-fests.

I'm not interested.

editor said:
Why don't you ask christonabike seeing as he introduced the word in to the debate?

I know exactly what it means but I can't be arsed to tell someone who's too lazy to look it up.

Try using the internet. It's awfully useful, you know.
i had already consulted a dictionary, in which the word was absent.

if you are able to define it with some precision, perhaps you could. after all, you seem to see a soap-dodger in a certain relationship to a yuppie. yet you have expressed some confusion above over what a yuppie is.

Back
Top Bottom