Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes or No -AV referendum May 2011

There is another electoral option in the short term? What?

Maybe you can put forward a plausible purely extra-parliamentary strategy?

Did you read what i said? You managed to get one point totally back to front and then brushed off the implications your own post for the traditions you used to pretend to represent. Those traditions would, of course give the answer for your question as well. I quite clearly back the IWCA strategy which is part of those traditions.

I do like the logic though - answer everything about how to change social conditions - or join labour then the ERS then campaign for AV.

Did you read what i said? You managed to get one point totally back to front and then brushed off the implications your own post for the traditions you used to pretend to represent. Those traditions would, of course give the answer for your question as well. I quite clearly back the IWCA strategy which is part of those traditions.

Except on the threads which ask for an evaluation of why the IWCA has if anything gone backwards from the base it established, you and your erstwhile allies have barely offered a single line in response.

I do like the logic though - answer everything about how to change social conditions - or join labour then the ERS then campaign for AV.[/QUOTE]

Except on the threads which ask for an evaluation of why the IWCA has if anything gone backwards from the base it established, you and your erstwhile allies have barely offered a single line in response.

I do like the logic though - answer everything about how to change social conditions - or join labour then the ERS then campaign for AV.

The IWCA strategy not the IWCA. Do you disagree with it?

It's ok join labour, go to oxbridge, join a think thank, be an intern - escape routes for all all.

It's all in the brand?

The implication is that I've wondered off down some privileged oxbridge/Westminster/think-tank cul-de-sac. I don't see my job and my out-of-office politics as being in contradiction.

Again,you get it back to front.

I've no idea about you - that's the milieu that you're swimming in now.

The elections watchdog, the Electoral Commission, has given a warning that if it misses that deadline there will not be enough time to prepare for a referendum on 5 May.

Looks like it's going to be delayed then or if they accept the amendment and go ahead on 5 may, it has no chance of passing now with the 40% requirement.

You're a politician

No I'm a social entrepreneur, scientist, IT professional and wannabe social reformer, who is powerless on an uninspiring town council. Having the title councillor gives me the legitimacy to argue for the new society I believe in:
http://jonathanbishop.com/index.php...ature-and-cause-of-the-wealth-of-communities/

My High Functioning Autism makes me pre-disposed to tell the truth and my fellowship of the British Computer Society means its not worth the risk af lying s I'll lose my reputation and everything I worked for. I went for an interview with the Labour Party to stand as a candidate for the European Parliament. They said they've never met someone with as much honesty and integrity as me - they didn't put me on the list. I would rather resign like Aneurin Bevan did than say or do something I don't believe in, no matter how much my party wants me to.

If you watched BBC 1 Wales a few minutes ago, you'd have seen more about the society I want to create.

Here is an idea I had for the town council, which when I presented the motion, the people on my own side scoffed and an oppostion member berated me for making a "speech". What did he expect me to do, as someone who goes to a speakers club about twice a month and who does everything he does to the best of his ability would do?!
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...nysangharad-park-war-memorial-91466-27899069/

This is a project I did with a co-operative social enterprise I founded, and delivered while I was a councillor, but put in action before I got the title:
http://www.delicious.com/jonathanbishop/gbl

I might see about getting some people together to deliver my war memorial though that social enterprise. I'd like to get the public involved in creating a design for the front of an interactive kiosk, which could be made by a professional sculptor. People in the Park could then learn about the history of the Land Army and the roll of honor could be updated as new names come to light.

The other war memorial may be the first to get off the ground, like the Russians were the first in Space, but lets see who gets to the moon first!

link

The Rooker amendment would mean that parliament would have to decide whether to accept a yes vote if turnout fell below 40%. Under the government's plans a simple yes vote, regardless of the turnout, would lead to the introduction of AV for elections to the Commons as long as the plans to reduce the number of MPs are also in place.

The public will still get to vote on electoral reform on May 5 in spite of the government losing a vote in the Lords by just one vote on the plan for a referendum on the alternative vote, coalition sources insisted on Monday night

link

What's going to annoy the libdems most, not voting or voting no?

it looks like a yes vote *could* still pass if there is under 40% turnout and parliament agrees to accept it, so i *think* voting no would piss them off more ? (it is a bit confusing though)

What's going to annoy the libdems most, not voting or voting no? I'm not following this shit so someone tell me please.
moochedit is right, if it was a yes vote on the <40% turnout we could still get AV so if you really don't want AV or want to fuck up the LibDems you should probably vote no.

I'm actually surprised that it's dragged on this long in the Lords, I thought the Labour Peers would have some fun but ultimately they wouldn't block it.

it looks like a yes vote *could* still pass if there is under 40% turnout and parliament agrees to accept it, so i *think* voting no would piss them off more ? (it is a bit confusing though)
unlikely, as there's simply too many "anti" Tory & Labour MPs for it to pass the necessary commons vote

good point.

It's not, Anti MPs can be leant on, while it's appealing to keep the turn out low, I think that because it's going to be on an existing election day which is probably going to get a higher than normal turnout so people can punish the coalition, it's best not to rely on low turn out and make sure you vote no.

Back
Top Bottom