Scottish independence?

• Yes please

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No thanks

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Dont know yet

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
“Tony Abbott has a reputation for gaffes, but his bewildering comments have all the hallmarks of one of the Westminster Government’s international briefings against Scotland,” Alex Salmond

That could have been so much better response from Salmond. I think "While it is unlikely we would take anything Tony Abbott says seriously, the Scottish Government would like to thank him for the endorsement none-the-less" would have been better.

True, but there is plenty said on the boards that is in a specifically London idiom; we learn what it means and get on with it (unless we fancy taking the piss). Furthermore, I make a conscious effort not to write here the way I speak. I say "cannae", "dinnae" and "winnae" but write "can't", "don't" and "won't". I say "no" but write "not". I say "fair forfochen", but write "knackered". Now and then, though, it's nice to write the way one speaks.

I'm from the North of England, and don't understand some of the stuff people say in this region let alone London. And young peoples' terminology is generally lost on me. :D

A few vids from the very active 'wee bastard' of an Ali Darling meeting today. Same as always, ticket only and generally a BitterThigither BritNaw meet. ;)

I'm a wee wifey and happy wi that. Usually means a woman over a certain age and that fits me perfectly.

Wee wifeys are the absolute bedrock of society, as far as I can tell. Dunno how my next-door one manages to get me on her roof clearing gutters every year. I fucking hate heights for a start. Oh I do know, she grows the nicest tomatoes and makes really good ginger biscuits, and I've got a bit of the knight-errant in me I suppose. Anyway, wee wifeys are cool.

I think there is a Panelbase poll coming out...

The figures I being quoted look like Panelbase Poll excluding 'Undecided' Yes 48% No 52%

Ian Smart tweeted Yes 42% No 46% for Panelbase
There is an ICM poll in the Scotland on Sunday

EDIT: ICM looks like it will show an increase. That is very good, as I think they had Yes quite high when they did one during the Darling-Salmond debate.

Last edited:
I reckon this one will be a yes ....close but a yes the yes campaign reminds me of the poll tax campaign reaching out to all sections of society and involving everyone _the no campaign is a dead fart with paid Politicians desperately trying to defend the status quo.

Does anyone have access to the Times Tony Abbott on Indyref article?

It's now available online via Proquest

Scottish independence would be a victory for the enemies of freedom and justice, Australia's prime minister has said, in the most pointed intervention yet by a foreign leader in the independence debate.

In an interview with The Times, Tony Abbott declared that independence would be cheered only by those countries that opposed British values and justice around the world.

Mr Abbott's remarks represent a significant setback for Alex Salmond in his attempts to portray independence as popular in the international community. They provide the most damning critique delivered to date on Scottish independence by an international government leader. "As a friend of Britain, as an observer from afar, it's hard to see how the world would be helped by an independent Scotland," Mr Abbott said on a visit to London.

"I think that the people who would like to see the break-up of the United Kingdom are not the friends of justice, the friends of freedom, and the countries that would cheer at the prospect of the break-up of the United Kingdom are not the countries whose company one would like to keep."

Mr Abbott's intervention is the first time that such a senior British ally has been so outspoken on a decision that rests ultimately with Scottish voters and the first time the debate has been cast as one of western liberalism against its enemies. President Obama has backed the No campaign on the ground that the two countries' relationship serves both well. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," he told the Scottish Labour MP Douglas Alexander last month.

President Putin was more guarded when he was asked about the subject this year but he too hinted at opposition to Scottish independence when he said he believed that "a single strong state has some advantages". Otherwise, world leaders have been guarded on the fate of the 300-year-old Union.

Mr Salmond has tried to portray Scottish independence as part of a natural process of self-determination, similar to that undertaken by many other small nations. But such a clear dismissal from a senior world leader such as Mr Abbott, albeit one who is known to be an ally of David Cameron, will undermine Mr Salmond's claims.

Mr Abbott, an anglophile former Continued on page 4, col 5 Continued from page 1 Rhodes scholar, did not name the countries he believes would line up to applaud the end of the Union. However, his trip to London was scheduled round meetings in the Netherlands on the investigation into the shooting down of the Malaysia Airlines jet over Ukraine.

Asked to comment on Mr Abbott's intervention, A Yes Scotland spokesman said: "Independence seems to be working well for Australia." He added: "These comments have echoes of Lord Robertson's 'forces of darkness' speech in April, which was widely ridiculed, even by No supporters, as one of the anti-independence campaign's most outlandish scare stories.

"The decision about Scotland's future is one for the people of Scotland to make -- a point that even David Cameron asserts. After a "yes" vote, Scotland will take her place as a normal and valued member of the international community -- just as Australia did when she gained independence." A Better Together spokesperson said: "The closer we get to the vote, it is clear that people here at home and around the world are realising independence is a risk that we do not need to take." Alex Salmond, My Week, page 36

Credit: Giles Whittell, Hamish Macdonell

I think there is a Panelbase poll coming out...

The figures I being quoted look like Panelbase Poll excluding 'Undecided' Yes 48% No 52%

Ian Smart tweeted Yes 42% No 46% for Panelbase
There is an ICM poll in the Scotland on Sunday

EDIT: ICM looks like it will show an increase. That is very good, as I think they had Yes quite high when they did one during the Darling-Salmond debate.

More on those polls

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides...ing-as-pair-of-polls-see-rise-in-yes-support/

ICM called the AV referendum right to something like 0.05%. They're the ones i would keep the closet eye on for this.
ICM's final poll for the 2011 election had the Labour vote out by 18 and 21 points too. That was 7 weeks before though.

Thing about that is that they may well have been the right figures at that period a month before the election - if they had continued polling up until the 4th may as others did they may well have shown similar figures to the other companies.

And also, they were 7% and 8% out on those polls rather than 13% claimed in that tweet. So it might tell us something or it might tell us nothing.

ICM's final poll for the 2011 election had the Labour vote out by 18 and 21 points too. That was 7 weeks before though.
For a YES/NO vote i think they have shown they had a pretty solid methodology. Maybe not so much for larger more spread voting. Though for the recent european parliamentary elections they had the 2nd smallest error size of all the pollsters and by far the smallest error size for the 2010 general election.

Last edited:
1)
Why not just use the word 'woman' as that covers is well enough?
2)By the way, 'this' isn't Scotland. You are Scottish, and live there, but I, and many other people on the boards, aren't and don't.

1)WTF?? Seriously?? Should we all start spikking the queens english?? Gettaefuck!!! I'm surprised at you!

2)This thread is in the SCOTLAND forum, where many may/do/will speak Scots/Doric/Gaelic/colloquially. :p

I am pretty confident that my mum, now 70, would not be especially pleased to be referred to as a "wee wifey". Although "wifey" was a frequently used term when I was a kid I would hesitate to use it now, and when I saw it in the earlier post I was a little surprised. Just because it's a colloquialism doesn't give it a free pass. To me, saying "we wifey" is a bit like saying "old dear" which I would also avoid as I think it's patronising, dismissive and ultimately ageist.

Back
Top Bottom