Scottish independence?

• Yes please

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No thanks

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Dont know yet

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
a) 'wee wifey' is not sexist. The 'ey' or 'ie' suffix is used in Scots as an affectionate signifier. See 'lassie', 'laddie' and the Scots habit of doing the same thing to first names (Doddie for George, Shuggie for Hugh etc). Wifey in the context I used it simply means 'an older woman'. Nothing sexist about it. I would have said 'the wee mannie' if it had been a man. Genuinely.

Dutch equivalent is -je (wijfje for female) as diminutive also used affectionately. Amsterdams slang I think would be wijfie so another similarity.

The defence industry is more than a business; it's political. Watch for the shipyards to move south ASAP. rUK defence spending will leave an independent Scotland pretty much immediately. BAe Systems et al will likely be told the day after a Yes vote that HMG-rUK will stop paying for work conducted in Scotland within a year, maybe even 6 months.

If Scotland votes Yes, the UK government will have to ramp down its rhetoric or backtrack somewhere. The rUK spending will be higher, but more money would be spent on defence in Scotland by the Scottish Government. It is far more likely that this money will be retained in Scotland. I really doubt the rUK would like to see Scotland buying French/Italian (or Russian ;)) on the basis of a bunch of Better Together politicians' outlandish claims. Not to mention the likely event of rUK keeping some military bases in Scotland.

Ok, I'll explain then.
a) 'wee wifey' is not sexist. The 'ey' or 'ie' suffix is used in Scots as an affectionate signifier. See 'lassie', 'laddie' and the Scots habit of doing the same thing to first names (Doddie for George, Shuggie for Hugh etc). Wifey in the context I used it simply means 'an older woman'. Nothing sexist about it. I would have said 'the wee mannie' if it had been a man. Genuinely.
b) Quartz doesn't give a fuck about sexism, he was just having a dig by deliberately misunderstanding.
c) Quartz is the most patronising person on the boards.

Thanks for explaining what you meant. It would have been easier if you'd have explained that at the outset rather than being dismissive, as people draw conclusions from such dismissive approaches, rightly or wrongly. I'm not commenting on the last two of your points, as whatever you think about this person is none of my business.

I live with three Scots (from Huntly, Inverurie and Arbroath if you must know) so I'm kinda used to the terminology, slang and turns of phrase they use. Really can't believe that someone who lives there isn't familiar with these nuances tbh

Because I'm Scottish, this is Scotland and I am talking about a Scottish person so I'll use a Scotticism if I want to.

I didn't suggest that you shouldn't do that - you can use whatever terminology you like. By the way, 'this' isn't Scotland. You are Scottish, and live there, but I, and many other people on the boards, aren't and don't. You are hard work sometimes, you know!

This is the Scotland/Alba forum isn't it?

No, this is the internet - and I don't mean that in any patronising sense. Yes, the thread is the Scottish forum, but it is an issue which is of interest to lots of people across the UK for the reasons we all know. Therefore there will be a fair number of English, Welsh and NI posters reading the thread, and sometimes posting on it.

No, this is the internet - and I don't mean that in any patronising sense. Yes, the thread is the Scottish forum, but it is an issue which is of interest to lots of people across the UK for the reasons we all know. Therefore there will be a fair number of English, Welsh and NI posters reading the thread, and sometimes posting on it.
True, but there is plenty said on the boards that is in a specifically London idiom; we learn what it means and get on with it (unless we fancy taking the piss). Furthermore, I make a conscious effort not to write here the way I speak. I say "cannae", "dinnae" and "winnae" but write "can't", "don't" and "won't". I say "no" but write "not". I say "fair forfochen", but write "knackered". Now and then, though, it's nice to write the way one speaks.

True, but there is plenty said on the boards that is in a specifically London idiom; we learn what it means and get on with it (unless we fancy taking the piss). Furthermore, I make a conscious effort not to write here the way I speak. I say "cannae", "dinnae" and "winnae" but write "can't", "don't" and "won't". I say "no" but write "not". I say "fair forfochen", but write "knackered". Now and then, though, it's nice to write the way one speaks.
Thass the kiddies :)

(btw, if I refer to someone as a 'kiddie' or similar, it definitely isn't a pejorative!)

Back
Top Bottom