Scottish independence?

• Yes please

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No thanks

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Dont know yet

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
I assume he doesn't want to talk about plan B because he wants to give the impression that he's fully confident plan A will come together. But instead he's just given the impression that there is no plan B.

Maybe he was inspired by George Osborne's total refusal to countenance the need to for a backup plan.

I assume he doesn't want to talk about plan B because he wants to give the impression that he's fully confident plan A will come together. But instead he's just given the impression that there is no plan B.

... or maybe he has a plan B - unilateral adoption of the pound - and all this 'booing' was just partisan support from Unionists. Much in the same way Darling was also 'massively' booed for his stance on devolution and other topics. No mention of that though in the press or 'undecided' Quartz's post.

I've always thought that the SNP policy on currency is their weakest link. It leaves them open to exactly what has happened: the Unionist parties saying they would oppose currency union. (I don't believe for a moment they actually would - for the reasons discussed up thread). It was a tactical mistake.

My preference anyway would be a separate currency. But it's not going to stop me voting Yes. I haven't met anyone other than confirmed No voters for whom it's a big issue.

I've always thought that the SNP policy on currency is their weakest link.

It looks very bizarre from this side of the border, especially with reports of the Yes campaign head honcho wanting an independent currency - gives the impression that after a yes vote it might all descend into bitching and splinter groups.

It looks very bizarre from this side of the border, especially with reports of the Yes campaign head honcho wanting an independent currency - gives the impression that after a yes vote it might all descend into bitching and splinter groups.
Well, the Yes movement is much wider than just the SNP. It's not considered unusual even for party members (of any party) to disagree with some of that party's policy. Why expect people who are not party members to agree with all a party's policies?

Part of the conceptual problem that some people have is that one may support independence but not the SNP’s white paper.

Just as we don't know if remaining in the UK will mean remaining in the EU.

Nor is it so long since people seriously advocated the UK joining the Euro.

If one can debate whether the UK should do this that or the next, one can certainly debate whether an independent Scotland should, without there being any inherent contradiction.

After the way they have been behaving what makes you think they will keep those 41 seats?
I take your point, but also the more they behave like this the more likely it is that they'll end up with a very slender majority (if at all), and therefore one that is either entirely or largely dependant upon whatever Scottish MPs they do mange to get elected.

In which case in the event of a Scottish Yes vote, there's a fair chance that the UK would be electing a government that would only be able to serve for under a year before suffering a no confidence vote after the scottish MPs resigned - basically it could well result in a lame duck government in the rest of the UK until your MPs actually leave parliament.

Something I'm commenting on as it really hadn't occurred to me that Scotland wouldn't actually be going independent at the time of the next general election, which would have seemed the obvious time to have done it so as to minimise the chaos it would cause.

tbh, I can see the entire thing unravelling a lot faster than that if a yes vote does take place.

I've always thought that the SNP policy on currency is their weakest link. It leaves them open to exactly what has happened: the Unionist parties saying they would oppose currency union. (I don't believe for a moment they actually would - for the reasons discussed up thread). It was a tactical mistake.

My preference anyway would be a separate currency. But it's not going to stop me voting Yes. I haven't met anyone other than confirmed No voters for whom it's a big issue.

I am not too sure. Plan A - same as now, but we get representation at the Bank of England. Plan B - same as now. This shite about 'we can't bail oit the banks'. Does Darling realise we are not meant to bail out banks, or any private sector organisation. It is a load of bullshit. Its all they have.

EDIT: I do agree about a separate currency. That should go to a referendum though a bit after independence once we see how Paln A/Plan B has worked out.

I am not too sure. Plan A - same as now, but we get representation at the Bank of England. Plan B - same as now. This shite about 'we can't bail oit the banks'. Does Darling realise we are not meant to bail out banks, or any private sector organisation. It is a load of bullshit. Its all they have.

EDIT: I do agree about a separate currency. That should go to a referendum though a bit after independence once we see how Paln A/Plan B has worked out.
The problem isn't with workability - it's perfectly coherent and with comparable precedent - but with presentation. Salmond has been made to look wrong footed by the Unionist stance. (A stance that is wholly for the campaign).

In which case in the event of a Scottish Yes vote, there's a fair chance that the UK would be electing a government that would only be able to serve for under a year before suffering a no confidence vote after the scottish MPs resigned - basically it could well result in a lame duck government in the rest of the UK until your MPs actually leave parliament.

In that event could Cameron, as the sitting Prime Minister, recommend to Brenda that a new election be called despite Labour having an absolute majority?

Of course, if Cameron has an ounce of integrity, he will resign both his position and his seat on a Yes vote. That's a big if.

Well, the Yes movement is much wider than just the SNP. It's not considered unusual even for party members (of any party) to disagree with some of that party's policy. Why expect people who are not party members to agree with all a party's policies?.

In this case it's because it's a single vote, the result of which has consequences that are difficult if not impossible to reverse, so people are going to feel more comfortable if the groups pushing a for a particular result agree on at least the major points of what that is going to mean.

It's not like its a disagreement over something trivial. If uncertainty is unhelpful, the prospect of infighting after a win is worse.

That's not helpful. The title, 'Independence, Devo-Max or Status Quo' should be a pointer. It doesn't ask at all after greater integration.
That's the title of one of the questions used. You obv had a proper look and missed the many other ones - all 6 of them. Stop being unhelpful.

It's clear what would happen in the short term - normal Westminster elections. Then the scotland seats go from Westminster when scotland goes independent. Simple.

OK maybe they could all descend some testicles and stop worrying about the contents of their back pockets-every single one of 'em is a dyed-in-the-wool arsehole,pleasant in the Pub. etc.etc.-where they feel more relaxed in the company of tossers like me.

IThanks.

so essentially nobody knows, but that article makes many of the same points I've made, so chances are that it's going to be a right mess. Ah well, can't be any worse than the current shower of shits are managing.
Reckon it's a mess either way, given the polling

I don't know what the referendum question will be, but I guess there'll be the option for Scottish independence or not. How will you vote out of the options stay or go?

Please only vote here if you'll get a vote in the real thing...
no on principle-never be coerced into saying anything else-always say NO to the Iriots-whatever the question.

IThanks.

so essentially nobody knows, but that article makes many of the same points I've made, so chances are that it's going to be a right mess. Ah well, can't be any worse than the current shower of shits are managing.
Anything is possible when you sign away your existence-This has nothing to do with anything-but fear ,corruption,greed and maintenance of a bunch of sporran fondling sycophants-ARSE and BOLLOCKS to the shortly to be damned lot of them .

Anything is possible when you sign away your existence-This has nothing to do with anything-but fear ,corruption,greed and maintenance of a bunch of sporran fondling sycophants-ARSE and BOLLOCKS to the shortly to be damned lot of them .
Edited for 2 them's in original

It's clear what would happen in the short term - normal Westminster elections. Then the scotland seats go from Westminster when scotland goes independent. Simple.
I can't see any way that it'd be normal.

Even if the scenario I was 'spooking up' didn't quite happen, there are going to end up being 5t9 MPs elected to parliament who will almost immediately be starting to focus their attention on fighting for seats in the Scottish Parliament post independence, and don't really have any stake at all in most of the laws they might be debating or passing in the interim, other than those directly related to Scottish independence.

There's got to be a significant potential for a complete shambles of a government for whoever gets elected at the next UK election in the event of a yes vote - enough potential to at least merit a little discussion I'd have thought.

Back
Top Bottom