Scottish independence?

• Yes please

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No thanks

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Dont know yet

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
so what are you going to become independent from?

Scotland joined the union with the rest of the UK, and Scotland is now voting on whether or not to become independent from the rest of the UK.

pretty desperate if the independence leaders have to resort to not actually mentioning the UK when asking the question about whether to leave it or not tbh.

unless there's something about that question we're not being told, and Scotland is only actually planning independence from London, or maybe Wales, or Cornwall.

The voters are deciding whether or not they should rescind the privilege currently extended to England, Wales and NI; namely that of being in union with Scotland.

Your point was about the event of independence. I am not sure that there would be these kinds of long-term implications if there is a yes vote.
ffs - my point, as clearly outlined in my original post, was related to the short term implications in the event of a yes vote.

eh? I know, what I am saying is that in my view with a yes vote, I think it would be much clearer what would happen in Westminster than if there is a no vote. In a no vote, there will be a much longer-term constitutional problems.

ffs - my point, as clearly outlined in my original post, was related to the short term implications in the event of a yes vote.

I think one of the problems is that the UK government has in general refused to discuss the possibilities of a Yes vote in any detail, as far as I can see its an approach of sticking their fingers in their ears and pretending its not happening (which ironically has often been the UK government's approach to Scottish issues). Anyway I remember Salmond saying that the Treasury are the only official body which they've managed to have meaningful discussions with regarding what would happen in the case of a Yes vote.

On the topic of a possible no vote, do you lot think regardless of the outcome the whole process will have been of benefit to Scotland? I'm thinking the various promises of further devolution and a general shift it attitude that will in the long term make independence inevitable?

Or will it just go straight back to business as usual?

On the topic of a possible no vote, do you lot think regardless of the outcome the whole process will have been of benefit to Scotland? I'm thinking the various promises of further devolution and a general shift it attitude that will in the long term make independence inevitable?

I think it's interesting that the idea of greater union has not been discussed.

well that's kinda my point, it could end up being a right mess.

It could easily happen - eg current predictions here are for a Labour majority of 40 at the next election, and Labour won 41 seats in Scotland at the last election, so the Scottish labour seats could easily swing the balance at this coming election.

After the way they have been behaving what makes you think they will keep those 41 seats?

Or will it just go straight back to business as usual?

I think a no vote will be a bad for Scotland. No question. People, like Quartz, who basically believe in centralising power and Tory rule will not understand why they had won. They will feel empowered. They will behave with even more crass incompetency when dealing with Scotland than they have in the past. Then there will be the faux analysis from London-based commentariat, and other Scottish Labour politicians, who'll be divisive and an embarrassment. Jim Murphy will become secretary of state for Scotland, or maybe even more senior than that.

I don't know; I just think it's interesting that it's not been discussed at all.

What part of "it would be massively unpopular" do you not understand? It has not been discussed outside of the Unionist HQs in London because the yes vote would increase by twenty points overnight. Are you really this dumb?

Only if the SNP do not respect the vote.
What do you mean? That the SNP might seize public buildings in Edinburgh and declare a republic?

If there's a no vote, people who support independence will continue to do so. Why wouldn't they? They have for all the years there wasn't a referendum.

The question is, what "extra powers" will actually materialise (my guess: little more than the 2012 Scotland Act), and what will other parts of the UK make of that? The current unstable asymmetric devolution will not have been resolved.

What does a No vote mean? How would it be interpreted?

I think a no vote will be a bad for Scotland. No question. People, like Quartz, who basically believe in centralising power and Tory rule will not understand why they had won. They will feel empowered. They will behave with even more crass incompetency when dealing with Scotland than they have in the past. Then there will be the faux analysis from London-based commentariat, and other Scottish Labour politicians, who'll be divisive and an embarrassment. Jim Murphy will become secretary of state for Scotland, or maybe even more senior than that.

Is there no optimism to be gleaned from the fact that during the process there has been significant numbers switching from no to yes? Surely that's a lot more people believing that not only can Scotland go its own way but that it'd be better to do so? Its a matter of timing really, yes to independence just maybe not at this moment?

This of course assumes a no vote which is far from certain to say the least.

Is there no optimism to be gleaned from the fact that during the process there has been significant numbers switching from no to yes? Surely that's a lot more people believing that not only can Scotland go its own way but that it'd be better to do so? Its a matter of timing really, yes to independence just maybe not at this moment?

I am not optimistic. Westminster politics is a dead end. Then there is the rise of the far-right.

Are things still drifting yes-wards? From the little I've heard on the radio they seemed to be suggesting it had stalled a little due to confusion about what would happen with the currency.

Are things still drifting yes-wards? From the little I've heard on the radio they seemed to be suggesting it had stalled a little due to confusion about what would happen with the currency.

No polls out. There was a drift to yes, but the press are now saturation bombing the currency (no evidence that was the big issue for undecideds in the debate). We'll see if that has an effect. I hope not.

No polls out. There was a drift to yes, but the press are now saturation bombing the currency (no evidence that was the big issue for undecideds in the debate). We'll see if that has an effect. I hope not.

It may not just have an effect on undecideds moving to no, could also shift a few yesses to undecided, or to no.
My feeling (based on the guff on the radio South of the border, so not an iron-clad backing) is that the no's will swing it, but it could be quite narrow. When a big change is on the cards people have a way of backing out at the last second.

(no evidence that was the big issue for undecideds in the debate).

Salmond got massively booed on this issue. Personally, as an undecided, I don't think it is a big issue: an independent Scotland should have its own currency. One only has to look at, for example, Canada and America, or Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland as examples of how it is not a problem. But Salmond is insisting on making it one. Why?

I assume he doesn't want to talk about plan B because he wants to give the impression that he's fully confident plan A will come together. But instead he's just given the impression that there is no plan B.

And have a finger of blame to point during any bumps in the road. Which London and Brussels won't accept, having been clear from the beginning. But would create Scots unity from acrimony.

Back
Top Bottom