Scottish independence?

• Yes please

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • No thanks

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Dont know yet

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
What do you mean normal? What's that got to do with anything?

So what?

Why, you think MPs rather than the cabinet run the govt? And not a tight cabal within that cabal? How naive are you? 59 mps could wander off and it wouldn't effect govt in the slightest.

I can't see any way that it'd be normal.

Even if the scenario I was 'spooking up' didn't quite happen, there are going to end up being 5t9 MPs elected to parliament who will almost immediately be starting to focus their attention on fighting for seats in the Scottish Parliament post independence, and don't really have any stake at all in most of the laws they might be debating or passing in the interim, other than those directly related to Scottish independence.

There's got to be a significant potential for a complete shambles of a government for whoever gets elected at the next UK election in the event of a yes vote - enough potential to at least merit a little discussion I'd have thought.
Puulleessee dinnae start on me the nicht- there is only so much internet

In this case it's because it's a single vote, the result of which has consequences that are difficult if not impossible to reverse, so people are going to feel more comfortable if the groups pushing a for a particular result agree on at least the major points of what that is going to mean.

It's not like its a disagreement over something trivial. If uncertainty is unhelpful, the prospect of infighting after a win is worse.
The question is "should Scotland be an independent country", not "do you endorse the SNP's white paper".

It's true that the SNP will likely be the first government. And it's true that the white paper is likely to inform what they do. But that isn't "independence".

Currency is a policy. Ireland has had 3 currencies since independence. The UK changed to a decimal currency system in my lifetime. These are policies of governments. Countries need independence to take those decisions, but what policies are in force shortly after independence are not necessarily for perpetuity.

The constitution is somewhat different, of course, but it too will be crafted after independence. Independence is the first job.

What do you mean normal? What's that got to do with anything?

So what?
you called it a normal election, I'm just pointing out that it's unlikely to be entirely normal. At least I don't remember any previous election where nearly 10% of MPs knew at election time that they were only going to be in parliament for under a year. with no chance of ever getting back into Westminster
Why, you think MPs rather than the cabinet run the govt? And not a tight cabal within that cabal? How naive are you? 59 mps could wander off and it wouldn't effect govt in the slightest.
and they usually manage to rule through the whips, who coerce MPs into supporting the party line via various methods, many of which won't be available to MPs who know they're losing their seats in a few months, will likely never be back at Westminster or in any position the whips can really threaten them any more, and can essentially vote with impunity if they chose to.

Fuck knows what would actually go on, but I doubt the normal rules of the game would continue to apply entirely in the normal way, especially for any Scottish MPs who find themselves unable to stand for the Scottish parliament because there's an MSP from the party in that seat or similar.

None of this would really apply in the event of a party winning with a big majority, but that doesn't seem very likely at this stage, and any party with a small majority that was made up of a significant number of scottish MPs could be particularly vulnerable to rebellions etc.

Yes, it would be a normal election. Nothing will change.

None of which has frig all to do with scottish independence. It's like watching a game of football and arguing about the height of the corner flags. What i outlined is what would happen in the circumstances you outlined.

OK BA -You give it a rest-I will appreciate your brilliant feedback if you can explain to all how fucking demented we become by being involved with all this bollockry-YT,Eskdave.

Pretty much. Im one of the disenfranchised. Been away for too long so dont feel i have a voice & my opinion counts for fuck all so i keep out of it.

Waterstones are selling many of the independence debate books at half price. I've just picked up two of the yes/no books.

The question is "should Scotland be an independent country", not "do you endorse the SNP's white paper".

This.

The constitution is somewhat different, of course, but it too will be crafted after independence. Independence is the first job.

The problem, as I see it, for those who do not support the SNP, is that the SNP will be negotiating the terms of independence and drawing up the constitution.

Was the debate any good. Anywhere to catch it online. Too lazy to search.

Was a really bad format and they fucked up the streaming, definite loser was STV. As to what was said, was the same talking past each other we've had for over a year. But we have 2 more, BBC & Sky. It will interesting to see how good an advocate Darling actually is.

Last edited:
This.

The problem, as I see it, for those who do not support the SNP, is that the SNP will be negotiating the terms of independence and drawing up the constitution.
No they will not - as has now been pointed out to you at least three times. A committee of all the parties will.

Last edited:
Really? I've not read them suggest anything similar. Indeed, BT are proposing more devolution.
What the hell hast hat got to do with your claim that the SNP will solely take part in the negotiations after a YES vote and drawing up a constitution on their own?

there are going to end up being 5t9 MPs elected to parliament who will almost immediately be starting to focus their attention on fighting for seats in the Scottish Parliament post independence.

The Labour Party is Scotland has already chosen it's candidates for the next Holyrood election so the Westmonster lot couldn't come back and 'steal' their jobs. No idea if the other parties have done it or not. No press releases about it yet.

Afaik neither the Conservative Party or the Labour party are officially registered in Scotland itself, they are UK parties so I'm not quite sure what happens to them immediately if we go independent.

Last edited:
Holyrood elections are 2 years out. In the unlikely event of a Yes, I'm pretty sure they would revisit their decisions

Aye, vote for no powers and we'll give you more, honest. Just like they did the last time huh?? Look at the history, they LIED in 79, so why believe them now?

Yep, but politicians always lie. We've got to determine which side is the bigger liar.

Hmm...

From Yes's Facebook page:

10471418_434218396719060_1470573057684565391_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom