Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wikileaks - It's time to open the archives

There is possablity that the latest release of documents is a honey pot. Wikileaks is a pain in the ass to the US government. If the US government took legal action they would be accused of cover ups and being strong handed. If they tried to close Wikileaks then chances are that loads of other sites would pop up in its place. What makes Wikileaks good is that it has access to real legit documents. If this release is a honey pot and it is revealed that some of the documents are fake then that could undermine Wikileaks in general as you don't know whether the documents are legit or real anymore. I'd be more interested in waiting a while and seeing if in the cold light of day after there has been some general checking/anaylsis by the media to see if there are a number of fake documents or general inconsistencies.

I know this isn't news, and I've said it before, but: four large news orgs have spent the last month playing with the docs. So "cold light of day" has been done.

I don't know how much this stuff will shock and appal governments who previously thought that the US were fluffy democracy bunnies really - diplomats, spying? the US hates Iran and the Saudis want them to invade? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you - but it will certainly make their efforts a lot _harder_ I'd imagine.

I think there's a lot of stuff that wasn't known - it's just that the general concepts won't be shocking to other governments. They could cause quite a bit of cognitive dissonance in some members of the public though. I expect the commentariat in the US are already publishing responses as to why each bad thing is not bad.

But the more important reason to publish these articles is that the cables tell the unvarnished story of how the government makes its biggest decisions, the decisions that cost the country most heavily in lives and money. They shed light on the motivations — and, in some cases, duplicity — of allies on the receiving end of American courtship and foreign aid. They illuminate the diplomacy surrounding two current wars and several countries, like Pakistan and Yemen, where American military involvement is growing. As daunting as it is to publish such material over official objections, it would be presumptuous to conclude that Americans have no right to know what is being done in their name.

New York Times speaks their side.

exactly the stuff about iran is just what we all thought anyway thats why i want to know more of the gossip and their opinions of public figures

But only some of us thought this stuff, and we didnt always have proof. There is nothing much in the Iranian stuff the Guardian have written articles on so far that surprises me, but whenever there is a thread on Iran there are a range of opinions expressed that are sometimes quite far off the mark, and this stuff will hopefully help a little in proving various points.

Unable to d/l the cables.

Overload on demand, or state attack?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddos_attack

A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted efforts of a person or people to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely. Perpetrators of DoS attacks typically target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks, credit card payment gateways, and even root nameservers. The term is generally used with regards to computer networks, but is not limited to this field, for example, it is also used in reference to CPU resource management.[1]

One common method of attack involves saturating the target machine with external communications requests, such that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly as to be rendered effectively unavailable. In general terms, DoS attacks are implemented by either forcing the targeted computer(s) to reset, or consuming its resources so that it can no longer provide its intended service or obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.

Denial-of-service attacks are considered violations of the IAB's Internet proper use policy, and also violate the acceptable use policies of virtually all Internet service providers. They also commonly constitute violations of the laws of individual nations.[2][hide]

This aint no honey pot.
inclined to agree, but this isn't the whole dump, this one is 250k, the last one was 400k, and this one is ment to be 7 times larger. So it's being done in stages by the looks of it. Maybe the DoS attack is behind it....[/speculation]

This one is more than 7 times larger by number of documents.

Which is, in this case, relevant, because they're diplomatic cables and therefore better-written and have a higher information density than military bumf.

Anyone heard anything about al-Megrahi being referenced in these leaks? It was mentioned as something that was likely to come up, but havent seen any scandals yet, and if it is confirmed that he was (a) innocent and (b) knowingly wrongfully convicted then the shit really is going to hit the fan.

Back
Top Bottom