Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wikileaks - It's time to open the archives

I can't wait for this :)

What the fuck are they going to release ?!

Stuff from embassies by the sounds of it, some of which should be extremely sensitive. I dont think Ive seen much of this sort of thing since the Iranians took over the US embassy there, and stuck a load of shredded documents back together and released them as a book.

The US was very effective at working quietly with Sweden during the Cold War despite their official neutrality declaration

The US also worked with the UK during the Falklands/Malvinas war, even supplying hardware, despite "neutrality".

I believe Harrier Jump-Jets fitted with special recon nosecones were lent to the MoD on the QT.

The US was very effective at working quietly with Sweden during the Cold War despite their official neutrality declaration

Yes, the Swedish entire military establishment has been geared to linking up with the US/NATO in the event of an invasion from Russia for the last 50 years or so. But does that really mean that the entire Swedish judiciary is under the command of the CIA? The woman running this case in Sweden had initially dismissed it, remember, but it's now on after more evidence from the two women who accuse Assange. I think that it could well be some kind of smear attempt, but that accusations of rape should be taken seriously, even if directed against noble crusading truth seeker types.

he posted 7mins earlier that there was a rumour, and that " has just put a call in to Andrew Vallance, the DPBAC, secretary and is awaiting confirmation. If it is true something tells Guido that this isn’t going to work"

Reuters: WikiLeaks Release May Create "International Uproar"
Sources tell Reuters that the forthcoming WikiLeaks release, which may come as soon as this weekend, contains corruption allegations serious enough to embarrass foreign leaders and set back Obama's foreign policy initiatives. Three unnamed sources say that the leak, alleged to be seven times the size of the Iraq war logs, features information about Russian, Afghan, central Asian and European leaders. State Department officials have already denounced the leak as a security threat, and have warned foreign governments about it. According to Reuters, WikiLeaks has likely already leaked the documents to the New York Times, Der Spiegel and the Guardian—the three media outlets they've worked with in the past—and possibly also Spain's El Pais newspaper and France's Le Monde. While the New York Times wouldn't confirm that they'd gotten the documents, Executive Editor Bill Keller hinted to Reuters that "if we had a big story in the works, we'd be disinclined to discuss it before publication." Unlike previous leaks about wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, sources tell the wire service that the new release "may result in more international uproar."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11847824

Hence, the round of somewhat cringey diplomacy, as the US warns foreign governments of what American officials have said privately about them. The question is: will the revelations be merely embarrassing or something much worse, in terms of concrete disclosures about policy and US sources, possibly from within foreign governments?

Newspaper reports indicate the release will include papers suggesting that Turkey helped al-Qaeda militants in Iraq, and that the US helped Iraq-based Kurdish separatists who have been engaged in a long conflict with Turkey.

Don't know what's happening... grapevine says scary info that could lead to scary situations.
I hope Assange and the backroom boys know what they're doing.

"UK Government has issued a "D-notice" warning to all UK news editors, asking to be briefed on upcoming WikiLeaks stories"

D-notices are extremely rare, and need multiple signatures.

Something very ugly is going on ladies and gentlemen, and has probably been going on for a while, the chance to whistleblow to an anonymous piratebay server has resulted in a cacophony of shrill screams and intense activity from all quadrants of the globe, the idea of sorting out the genuine leaks from the bullshit and the tenfold government attack modes of false data... you have to give them credit for the archiving alone.

But in simple terms - if the US dox are slagging off China and NK and Burma (because it isn't called Myanmar) ... maybe they're talking smack about the United Kingdom, EU, African States... it's probably just office style emails but at this level - it's how the money gets divided...

My own take on it is a diplomatic game of nasty 3D chess, and you don't want to lose even if you're already out the game.

If Assange lets loose the full dogs of war then he's a maladjusted prick with nobody's best intentions in mind, but his role has clearly been surpassed for this one, which is what makes it more scary or perhaps more suspicious??

My take on it anyway. The bullshit data could be more dangerous than the real stuff.
If Wikileaks has been compromised already then it's a handy way of communicating between the people who do the real work.

D-Notice though, that's a pretty big call. I guess nobody knows. And everyone's up to their necks in shit if the hustlers on Capital Hill get their little black books leaked to the internets.

Ah, fuck 'em. The sweet cyberjustice. At least all the nasty lawyers will be going crazy insane... fingers crossed Assange doesn't fuck this one up though. He's only human, I think.

Bear in mind the Iraq/Ghan leaks were censored to f.u.c.k.

Early there were reports that the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv had informed Israel's foreign ministry of the impending release.

The Americans said they wanted to let the Israeli government know so it would not be surprised and would be prepared for publicity that might cause diplomatic embarrassment.

A senior Israeli official, said that according to the Americans, the WikiLeaks material includes diplomatic cables sent to Washington from American embassies throughout the world.

The cables date from the past five years and include media reports, talks with politicians, government officials and journalists, as well as evaluations and various analyses by American diplomats regarding their host countries.

According to the official, the U.S. Embassy said that the documents were not highly classified, but the administration did not know the precise content of the cables.
haaretz.com

grapevine says . ... backroom boys ... whistleblow to an anonymous piratebay server ... quadrants of the globe ... it's how the money gets divided...
a diplomatic game of nasty 3D chess, and you don't want to lose even if you're already out the game .... full dogs of war ... pretty big call .... everyone's up to their necks in shit if the hustlers on Capital Hill get their little black books leaked to the internets ... only human

Is there some sort of cryptostenography thing here with cliches and mixed metaphors? Does it unlock the Assange files?

via Guido:

Sent: Fri 26/11/2010 12:42

To: Sunday Telegraph; Ian Martin; Sunday Telegraph; Channel Five; Caroline Wyatt; C4 News Desk; Sun; Kevin Brown; Sunday Mail; Mail on Sunday; Five TV; Associated Press TV; William Lewis; Tim Marshall; Press Gazette; Allister Heath; Jonathan Collett; Daily Telegraph; Daily Record; Evening Standard; Daily Star; Independent on Sunday; Observer; Foresight News; Daily Express; Sunday Times; Financial Times; Associated Press; Times; Spark FM; chris wissun; Sunday Mirror; Sunday Herald; News of the World; Tom Newton-Dunn; Stephen Abell; Scotsman; Press Association; BFBS Will Inglis; Will Gore; Mark Birdsall; Guardian; Daily Mail; Daily Mirror; People; Foresight News; Telegraph Legal; Glenmore Trenear-Harvey; Sunday Post; Reuters; ITV News Desk; Independent; Evening Times; Jonathan Grun; Glasgow Herald; Five TV

Subject: DA Notice Letter of Advice to All UK Editors – Further Wikileaks Disclosures

To All Editors

Impending Further National Security Disclosures by Wikileaks

I understand that Wikileaks will very shortly release a further mass of US official documents onto its internet website. The full scope of the subject matter covered by these documents remains to be seen, but it is possible that some of them may contain information that falls within the UK’s Defence Advisory Notice code. Given the large number of documents thought to be involved, it is unlikely that sensitive UK national security information within these documents would be recognised by a casual browser. However, aspects of national security might be put at risk if a major UK media news outlet brought such information into obvious public prominence through its general publication or broadcast.

Therefore, may I ask you to seek my advice before publishing or broadcasting any information drawn from these latest Wikileaks’ disclosures which might be covered by the five standing DA Notices. In particular, would you carefully consider information that might be judged to fall within the terms of DA Notice 1 (UK Military Operations, Plans and Capabilities) and DA Notice 5 (UK Intelligence Services and Special Forces). May I also ask you to bear in mind the potential consequential effects of disclosing information which would put at risk the safety and security of Britons working or living in volatile regions where such publicity might trigger violent local reactions, for example Iran, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan?

As always, I am available 24/7 to offer DA Notice guidance…

Yours Sincerely,

Andrew Vallance

Air Vice-Marshal
Secretary, Defence Press and Broadcasting Advisory Committee

Dunno if this is authentic - thought it was worth posting here though.

Be brilliant if this is one big bluff that got the US to go around the world telling everyone things they've said about them!

he he

Hmmm... there's going to be a lot of very, very embarrassing private slagging off that is going to be aired, but I doubt it will do any long term damage.

I'm disappointed it only covers the last five years as I was hoping for more info on the invasion of Iraq.

Still, you never know - it might finally reveal the truth about Area 51 ;)

Back
Top Bottom