Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why Labour are Scum

Positively Frightfully Middle Class
Oh yes, but their free cream teas are quite an important part of my overall diet atm. All of the "8 people" in my household have a card (on different hotmail accounts)...so its scone, jam and clotted cream (with pot of tea) pretty much every time I wander past JL@Home on the scenic Purley Way! :thumbs:

Oh yes, but their free cream teas are quite an important part of my overall diet atm. All of the "8 people" in my household have a card (on different hotmail accounts)...so its scone, jam and clotted cream (with pot of tea) pretty much every time I wander past JL@Home on the scenic Purley Way! :thumbs:

In the interests of full disclosure, I should reveal that I embraced my inner PFMCness yesterday by ordering a new fridge from the JL website.

Can't argue with free express delivery within 48 hours, removal of old fridge and the "never knowingly undersold" thing - even if it makes me the class enemy to some...

In the interests of full disclosure, I should reveal that I embraced my inner PFMCness yesterday by ordering a new fridge from the JL website.

Can't argue with free express delivery within 48 hours, removal of old fridge and the "never knowingly undersold" thing - even if it makes me the class enemy to some...

*Amends list*

Humanity will not be free until the last capitalist is hung by the entrails of the last John Lewis customer.

:confused:By supporting a co operative business model?

What are they for anymore? Nothing much except maybe somewhere to heap contempt and derision upon.

Labour moves to support Tories' lower benefit cap despite 'children on breadline' warnings
Quite ,you only had to see Chukka Ummuna on the news last night to see that they have effectively been castrated by the SNP ,just like the woeful Libdems its all 'well on the one hand we want to do this but on the other hand we quite see the importance of doing that.It was because they were perceived to be so spineless anyway that they now feel obliged to carry on like this .Awful.

The party has knocked back an attempt by the King Beyond the Wall to rejoin the party. Very short sighted and typical suppression of an authentic w/c voice.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32909887

DEG5Y.jpg

Labour dies again

Labour could have done better in England, even so. It did badly in marginal seats, but it almost certainly did not lose them because its timidly redistributive programme was too left-wing, as the Blairites are now claiming. As far as we can tell there were three reasons for Labour’s poor performance in England. One was Miliband’s personality. People agreed that he had a good election, but he still seemed somehow not ‘prime ministerial’, the fate of many opposition leaders. More damaging was the reputation of the last Labour government for economic incompetence. Although Labour’s supposed overspending did not cause what happened in 2008, the Conservatives have succeeded in making people believe their version of events. The third reason was the desire for stability. The Tories always play to this even when they have failed to provide it. In this election, after the opinion polls suggested a hung parliament and the possibility of a Labour government dependent on SNP support, stability as against chaos really did become an issue and the triumphalism of the SNP didn’t help. The fear of chaos (drummed up not just by the Tory press), together with a suspicion of the SNP, threw Labour very much on the defensive. The scare tactics worked, affecting Labour both directly and indirectly. Indirectly because the predicted electoral landslide in Scotland was probably one reason for the fall of the Lib Dems in England: former Lib Dem voters voted for stability, which meant voting Tory.

The press treated Miliband even more viciously than they did Kinnock in 1992. Most of the Tory papers became propaganda sheets designed to protect the interests of their owners. Rupert Murdoch certainly seems to have thought that his media interests would not survive a Miliband government intact. Miliband hasn’t been forgiven for his attitude to phone hacking, press regulation, monopoly ownership and non-dom tax status. Much of the abuse will have been discounted, and the overkill excited some sympathy for Miliband (the #milifan craze on Twitter was one unlikely development). It is unlikely, however, that all of it was discounted. Any reader of the Tory press would have concluded that Miliband was a ridiculous figure who couldn’t be trusted in government. It’s also true that what the press doesn’t say is as damaging as what it does. More important, the press and television were responsible for deficit fetishism: the almost universal belief that the elimination of the budget deficit is essential for the well-being of the country and should therefore be the first task of any responsible government. This view justifies the Tories’ insistence on austerity. In seeking ‘expert’ opinion, as Simon Wren-Lewis pointed out in the LRB of 19 February, the media turn to City economists who ‘have a set of views and interests that do not reflect the profession’ and who cheerfully support deficit fetishism. I doubt that Cameron or Osborne care two hoots about the deficit; nor do the editors of the financial press. Cameron and Osborne use the deficit to justify a drastic reshaping of the welfare state; the editors to ensure that their kind of people stay in charge. Unfortunately, the Labour Party nervously acquiesced in deficit fetishism, and so gave the game to the government. Miliband and Balls should never have allowed the Tories’ claims to go unchallenged.

I have relatives who are literally terrified of instability, for them their pensions, home and ability to have foreign holidays are sacrosanct.

Back
Top Bottom