Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who lived in your home 100 years ago?

NE Scotland. Apparently our house was the first built here and the furniture had to be carried in through a field, Bob who used to live a few doors down helped with the move, not sure when the road at the front got put it
ah - thought you might be in scandinavia :thumbs:

there's a great ton of scottish maps on the national library of scotland website National Library of Scotland - Map Images if you have a play you'll likely find some interesting things

ah - thought you might be in scandinavia :thumbs:

there's a great ton of scottish maps on the national library of scotland website National Library of Scotland - Map Images if you have a play you'll likely find some interesting things
I have spent hours over the years looking at maps on this site :D We have found many interesting things, potential battle sites, the old railway lines are a rabbit hole, and we live within the boundaries of an old roman temporary camp, the camp itself was in the field out the front :)

We're not that far from the Elliot Junction rail disaster

A Royal Navy engineer (51), his wife (40) and their two year old son. I think there is another older child who is either elsewhere or dead. I'll do some research.

When we had some electric work carried out a couple of years ago, the electrician said he could see a ladies' shoe buried under the lounge floor. I wonder about that more than anything else tbh.

This is the last census to be released until 2051, as there was no 1941 census due to war, and the 1931 census was destroyed in a fire during the second world war.

Slight deviation - always knew we had Dutch ancestry - so I very willingly went to Vlissingen a few years ago to the local archives and was royally treated there (they gave me a researcher for the afternoon at no charge and we found him all right) - a bonus was a decent coffee shop for evening relaxation :hmm::hmm:

Anyway - he was paid to be trained as a "master mariner" - there were some issues with who his father was in Vlissingen , (one of these things that happen between the gentry and an employee) - ended up becoming a sea captain based from Swansea and sailed (literally) to South America many times on the copper ore route and lived a long , profitable and worthwhile life. Died in 1920 at a good age, some censuses had him "at sea" , - but when he was home in well heeled west Swansea he identified himself as "naturalized British citizen)

So I go to Kew , check through all the files (twice) - for his records of naturalization. Nada - so he was "born out of wedlock" and in today's money , an illegal resident. Still he paid his taxes and so on.

They don't seem to have had house names or numbers where I am - or at least they're not shown. I happened to check my notes on the house deeds yesterday and there's someone of same name living in one of the houses I might try that one.

They don't seem to have had house names or numbers where I am - or at least they're not shown. I happened to check my notes on the house deeds yesterday and there's someone of same name living in one of the houses I might try that one.

Very common - our 1934 house had a name "Berea" and was not numbered until post WW2 when the building of the road was completed.

Useless fact - but the spy / traitor Kim Philby lived nearby when he worked / spied on his country in St Albans , and tracking his rented home down has been challenged by this quirk of local government.

So we had a family called Swerdlin, 2 parents born in Russia, dad, 41, and mum, 34. 2 Young kids. Again, seems very old to be having kids at that time? Maybe had to leave family behind in Russia? WW1? Flu? Who knows...

Cabinet maker and household duties.

Our little patch of East London was well known for cabinet makers and upholsterers, the last ones only left about 10 years ago.

Swerdlin appears to be a Jewish name, assume they left Russia for the safety of London.

Can you all find out where i live now? :hmm:

So I go to Kew , check through all the files (twice) - for his records of naturalization. Nada - so he was "born out of wedlock" and in today's money , an illegal resident.

:eek:

doesn't that mean that priti patel can deport you if you get a parking ticket?

Very common - our 1934 house had a name "Berea" and was not numbered until post WW2 when the building of the road was completed.

Useless fact - but the spy / traitor Kim Philby lived nearby when he worked / spied on his country in St Albans , and tracking his rented home down has been challenged by this quirk of local government.
You may be able to look at the rate books for the period depending on the strictness to which the local archives adhere to the data protection act

Yes, this thread is proving excellent for a bit of identity theft and/or stalking.
Where I live had a couple of superb anti-Christian names in the 1800s for a row of houses (Methodist mining area) that I can't say here because of that reason. Search on the web can't find them but I bet they're on the web somewhere :(

My house wasn’t built until 1931, I’m guessing for farm workers as I’m still surrounded by farms. At some point it became a council house before being sold under right to buy in 1988

So we had a family called Swerdlin, 2 parents born in Russia, dad, 41, and mum, 34. 2 Young kids. Again, seems very old to be having kids at that time? Maybe had to leave family behind in Russia? WW1? Flu? Who knows...

Cabinet maker and household duties.

Our little patch of East London was well known for cabinet makers and upholsterers, the last ones only left about 10 years ago.

Swerdlin appears to be a Jewish name, assume they left Russia for the safety of London.

Can you all find out where i live now? :hmm:

I found my grandad in the 1901 census records - he was aged one and was the only member of the family not born in Ireland as they’d moved to Tyneside for work. As the extract I paid for showed all the households in the street, it was interesting to see that all the other families (& their lodgers) were Irish as well and like my great grandad all carpenters, boiler makers and other trades connected to shipbuilding.
My friend - of Russian Jewish ancestry - was surprised to find his great great uncle living in Leeds as he was told by family that they didn’t arrive until later. Like the extract I had, every resident of his great uncle’s street had been uprooted, gave Russia as their birthplace and their trades were mainly tailors and jewellers.

A fascinating view into how recently arrived immigrants organised themselves in their new country. I’m not sure if the 1921 Census covers Ireland (the 1901 didn’t) so may investigate as the family moved back in 1910 and there’s plenty of feuds and fall-outs that have muddied the waters since.

Not off that site, but I did find a bit of local history about my home:

1641728877083.png
Firstly, we'll talk about Engine House which is the white building above, and the first in the row of three houses at the back of the Town Hall. Laugharne had no electricity until 1949 - 70 years after its invention - and the first generator was in this house. The Boathouse was the first home to benefit. Harry Raymond of the Coygan Quarry was the first to try and 'electrify' Laugharne in 1928, but his plans came to nothing.

The Williams brothers (Ebie and Billy) set up a 240 volt DC supply in this building driven by a single cylinder horizontal Ruston Hornsby engine. A second engine was added to satisfy demand but within a few years the operation was taken over by the National Grid.

That was good news for Laugharne as whenever Billy Williams became frustrated with singing revellers or squabbling neighbours he threw the switch sending the whole town into darkness. The Engine House later became a gallery and later the Silversmiths before it moved to King St.

My house wasn’t built until 1931, I’m guessing for farm workers as I’m still surrounded by farms. At some point it became a council house before being sold under right to buy in 1988

could have been council to start with - rural councils were (in some cases) building council housing even before the 1914 war and 1919 housing act. the 'municipal dreams' blog has some articles about rural council housing.

having said that, some councils did add to housing stock post 1945 by buying as well as building.

My friend - of Russian Jewish ancestry - was surprised to find his great great uncle living in Leeds as he was told by family that they didn’t arrive until later. Like the extract I had, every resident of his great uncle’s street had been uprooted, gave Russia as their birthplace and their trades were mainly tailors and jewellers.
A friend was saying yesterday that his house had the same family (Italian name) living in his house in both 1901 and 1911. But the rest of the street went from a mix in 1901 to all the other houses being Russian Jewish (going on places of birth and names) by 1911. This is in Hackney.

This is the last census to be released until 2051, as there was no 1941 census due to war, and the 1931 census was destroyed in a fire during the second world war.
Yes, I saw this in the Observer today! What a shame.

Most of my paternal great grandparents had arrived in this country/were born here by 1901 census, which is a relatively long 'British' lineage by Jewish standards.

I know the owners after 21 because I think the bloke in that census bought the place from Tregothnan Estates (Lord Falmouth) who owned everything round here but has progressively sold it off.

Grrrr I found someone who I think had my place but I've gone in to search now and he's not there any more :mad:

Back
Top Bottom