Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

so having a week off work and was getting bored
should thought a trip to Dublin would be fun but did not fancy flying or driving thru wales

ah rail sail that be the cheaper alternative relaxing day only booking option has 3 change overs change over on the way to holyhead , every single one delayed so extra 3 hours kicking my heels in holyhead

at least its a nice day I suppose

holyhead port

hmm Dublin airport which is strange seeming as I have was booked to go back on a ferry but even though I check the departure time this morning at 10 am , when I arrives at the port they moved the departure time forward an hour

thank you Irish ferries :mad:

dublin terminal 2

Last edited:
Is it for sale; could I but it? ;)

'Fraid not. It's still an SNCF ticket outlet combined with the local Tourist Office.

When the railway closed along with most of the other Réseau Breton lines, it was replaced by an SNCF bus service which appeared in the rail timetables for decades after. The bus that replaced the Camaret-sur-Mer to Quimper train still stops at this station and the sites of a couple of others along the old branchline, and you can still buy rail tickets anywhere in the network even though the town is 20 miles from the nearest railway station, but these days it's been franchised out to TransDev (I think) rather than SNCF. The old goods shed is still over the road too, but that's now the home of the local boules club.

After an evening rolling back and forth through the Kentish / Sussex weald, feeling the heat of the high summer air become a little cooler as the sun went down and the stars came out, at open windows and a little session on the brake van balcony, behind this fine old machine and others...

Waiting on the national rail platform for the sterilised, neon lit and air conditioned world of a modern Southern Railway DMU back home.

20220813_214920_copy_1008x756.jpg

After an evening rolling back and forth through the Kentish / Sussex weald, feeling the heat of the high summer air become a little cooler as the sun went down and the stars came out, at open windows and a little session on the brake van balcony, behind this fine old machine and others...

Spa Valley Railway?

Must be 20+ years since I have been there (stopped there with mum-tat on the way to visit her mum in heathfield once - can't remember whether we went for a ride or not, if we did, think they were only operating as far as high rocks then)

Spa Valley Railway?

Must be 20+ years since I have been there (stopped there with mum-tat on the way to visit her mum in heathfield once - can't remember whether we went for a ride or not, if we did, think they were only operating as far as high rocks then)
Yes, really nice railway - pay it a visit. Both ends easily accessible by public transport from Londinium - a shortish walk across town in Tunbridge Wells or just across the footbridge at Eridge station. This was my second time going to their diesel gala. Both times everyone (punters and staff) has seemed happy, friendly and welcoming. It's only about 5 miles long and there are no spectacular gradients but it's nice countryside and it just has a good atmosphere about it.

Last edited:

Waiting on the national rail platform for the sterilised, neon lit and air conditioned world of a modern Southern Railway DMU back home.

View attachment 337457

A very rare Southern Railway brake van too no less , built on the chassis of the early electric South London elevated stock. Utter quality......

Back
Top Bottom