• Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Duke - Genesis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another (please state)

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
not suggesting it isn't.

for similar reasons - this comes a close second.

220px-Pavement_Crooked_Rain.jpg

If working class music is shit like Oasis, it could be argued much 'middle class' music is better (though none of the acts named in the poll).

William of Walworth said:
We have a pretty high proportion of albums mentioned so far. My caring about that levels? Not that high cos some of them still stand out as pretty good :)

We also own lots of skanky tiny-festival related dodgy old albums too. The middle class ones tend to be more professionally produced :p

Don't worry, I only started the thread because I kept seeing How Middle Class is your working week? and How middle class is your Sunday? bumping up against What's Your Favourite Beatles Album? in New Threads. I agree with you: the Flanders and Swann is excellent.

Btw, skanky tiny-festival related dodgy old albums are very middle class. :p

How very dare you? :D

the most middle class album anyone can ever own:

1334088442-sonic_youth_dirty_original_album_cover.jpg

for realz.

The only reason anyone would ever own a Sonic Youth album is to try and impress other people who also own Sonic Youth albums as a means to try and impress other people who own sonic Youth albums who in turn only own them to try and impress other people who pretend to like Sonic Youth, who themselves only do so in order to impress the first lot of people.

The idea of listening to such tuneless dreck purely for one's own amusement is laughable.

The only reason anyone would ever own a Sonic Youth album is to try and impress other people who also own Sonic Youth albums as a means to try and impress other people who own sonic Youth albums who in turn only own them to try and impress other people who pretend to like Sonic Youth, who themselves only do so in order to impress the first lot of people.

The idea of listening to such tuneless dreck purely for one's own amusement is laughable.

Nah that's Radiohead you're thinking of. Talking of which, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned them. Given that they were the 90's student's band of choice - lightweight, safe but with a glimmer of edginess to give an ersatz and inward looking sense of rebellion - they are surely now the contemporary bankers' dinner party band of choice. Them and the Stone Roses and Pavement. Most of the other albums listed so far are the bankers' daddys' dinner party band of choice.

Nobody actually likes this, they're just pretending.

Hmmm. I think it's the other way round.

Dirty is their corporate sell out album. 100% is the worst. There is a great track on the 10 inch concentric spiral yellow vinyl copy if it though. Mine is scratched, so it jumps from song to song.

Firky did mention them...

So he did. Doh.

When I was at university in the 90's they were all listening to
1) alternative rock
2) brit pop
3) techno
4) a small minority were listening to metal

I ignored 1),2)& 3) as incomprehensibly boring and hung out with the metal types. But I recon now that they've all grown up and got good jobs they will have all grown out of any dance/metal fixations and they will all be clinging on to their old Charlatans/Bjork/Levellers etc. CDs. The rest will still be reaching for Oasis and Blur. And Pulp. Especially Pulp. Brit pop made it cool to be working class and the middle classes love that reflected working class coolness just as they would in a different age imitate the aristocracy. But there were loads of these jangling guitar "alternative" bands in the 90's. I can't even name them. All of these as well.

Except I don't actually own, it, but I don't own any music anymore really but it's on my pooter anyway.

Tinariwen-amassakoul.jpg

The Lighthouse Family must have some genius behind them. They are so dreadful, yet had all those hits.

oh fucking hell, they bore me to tears. Like being dragged round marks and spencers by your mum aged 7, never fucking ends.

Firky did mention them...

I did, but if you know anything about Radiohead you'll see how ridiculous it is to say they're likely to turn up at a gig hosted by Bankers. They're far more likely to turn up at Climate Camp again. They're well up their middle class arses but are my favourite band by a country mile :cool:

What is this fixation Urban seems to have re; joining the "middle classes"

When it started we were all living in our own filth with nothing, NOTHING man. Now we've all got jobs in programme management, babies with designer sleepsuits and look at the state of the 'a picture of your living room' thread. We're all nauseatingly upwardly mobile, and desperately trying to pretend we're doing it ironically.

Back
Top Bottom