Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Duke - Genesis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another (please state)

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
None of this thread makes any sense. Is it albums we think are rubbish? Pretentious? Generic?

Bland and or pretencious, too k00l for skool... Safe incipid coffee table, Ikea cattalogue... Music for peple that don't like music, AKA Lighthouse Family. Or something.

I love Crowded House. I know they are breezy and inoffensive. Easy listening power pop. But I love them still. I also love Fountains of Wayne, who are their Canadian spiritual cousins.

The Lighthouse Family must have some genius behind them. They are so dreadful, yet had all those hits.

st etienne are a great band!

crap, i seem to like loads of the music posted in this thread. and fondue. :hmm:

I like them too. Everything has its place!

No point putting on Surgeon or Conflict when you have a loose group of friends (and their partners - an unknown quanity!) round.

Cheese on toast is the new raclette. But you have to serve it ironically.

Montgomery cheddar on rye toast with mushroom ketchup, all cut carefully to resemble normal cheese on toast. Worcester sauce of course, although preferably one made by artisanal sauciers.

Admit it, you've all got a copy of this somewhere:

Manu+chao+-+Clandestino-1998.jpg

But that just describes middle of the road music, not middle class music.

There is a spectrum of music which is enjoyed by middle class people, but we are talking about what might get played at a dinner party.

There is obviously a set of assumptions there which may or may not be shared by everyone.

I would argue that music which "recalls your time at University or travelling" might mainly be enjoyed by middle class people.

The middle class dinner parties I have been to have always (much to my irritation) had no music.

Better: I cleared the living room at someone elses house party. And wouldn't let anyone change the music. :cool:
I did a similar thing with a friend's copy of Unit Structures by Cecil Taylor.

As I said to the Missus at the time, if he didn't want it played, why own it?

I would say Paul Simon 'Graceland', though i don't actually own a copy now.

It's maybe more of a 'Middle class Jewish' record. Every middle class Jewish kid my age can sing along to the entirety of Graceland.

On Friday nights, our two sets of neighbours and us get together for some food that one of us has cooked. Then we watch an episode of The Wire. Don't know if you call that a dinner party or not, it certainly involves wine.

Anyway, I think we had Screamadelica playing during dinner last Friday. Does that count?

However, when I'm the host I like to match the music with the cuisine. That must be REALLY middle class right?

Back
Top Bottom