• Duke - Genesis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another (please state)

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
St. Germain - Boulevard

Saint_Germain_-_Boulevard.jpg

<shudders>

I used to listen to this a lot. Along with the Super Discount compilation and Dimitri from Paris. All suitable for mention on this thread!

None of this thread makes any sense. Is it albums we think are rubbish? Pretentious? Generic?
No, it's albums we think a middle class fondue party would have on in the background. We are nominating the one we own which best represents that category.

I hadn't thought of it myself, but had to agree that for me it is Buena Vista Social Club.

Tell you what, this thread's doing wonders for my playlist for the dinner party I'm throwing on Saturday. And to think I was going to just go with the Mercury nominees compilation that's up on spotify. Cheers all.

No, it's albums we think a middle class fondue party would have on in the background. We are nominating the one we own which best represents that category.

I hadn't thought of it myself, but had to agree that for me it is Buena Vista Social Club.
I don't think people have fondue parties any more. You get chocolate fondue at events, but these don't tend to be middle class.

I don't think people have fondue parties any more.
OK, a sour dough pizza party, then. With coffee tables involved. You know perfectly well what I mean! The kind of party Nigella pretends to throw (in her case, with "friends" that are actually actors).

That would more likely be round a dinner table, not a coffee table. A coffee table goes in the living room/lounge/front room to put drinks on when you are watching tv, etc.

I understand that you are trying to describe people who you don't like and who have different social patterns, but beyond that it's all a bit vague.

When I worked at a middle class place in the late eighties the albums of choice for management types were Peter Gabriel - So, Paul Simon - Graceland and Eric Clapton - Unplugged.

At a place I worked more recently, a couple of senior managers were impressed/jealous that I saw Crowded House at Glastonbury.

I don't think people have fondue parties any more. You get chocolate fondue at events, but these don't tend to be middle class.

Nah, fondue's back in in a big way, but you serve them as cutesy individual pots as a posh starter. Dead simple mind, you just need a cheap bottle of white and some gruyere and emmental. I got a great recipe from Nigella, or maybe it was Jamie.

When I worked for a bank in the 90s, every manager would have Chris Rea's "Road to Hell" album playing on their car stereo (a Ford Mondeo naturally..) - the definition of bland before Coldplay came along.

I am just putting it on record that I like both fondue and sour dough pizza, since some people seem to be trying to find a reason to be offended here.

The thread is meant to be light hearted.

Embarassed to say that when I was in my vaguely loved-up "dance music will save the world" phase of my late 30s, I bought some Coors albums. :oops: I also have several Simply Red - and Abba. :D

Nought wrong with St Germain and Cafe Del Mar .. I recently bought some Sven Van Hees and Ryan Farish ... though I only tend to listen to that sort of thing in my tent...

St Etienne - named after French city. Two middle class blokes and an English rose on vocals. They are the Volvo of the music world.

I do like Foxbase Alpha and So Tough, though.

Back
Top Bottom