• Spicy chutney

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Pickled veg like piccalilli

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Some fruit, eg grapes, apple, other

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Bread

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Crackers (like cream crackers or water biscuits)

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • A selection of 'biscuits for cheese'

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Onions, pickled onions, onion chutneys, all variations on the theme of onion

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
There's a separate thread about cheeses, so I thought I'd make one about the condiments, chutneys and jams and other accoutrements.

This was prompted by seeing the cheese thread and having bought a small jar of onion truffle pomerol (red wine) confit last week, which I've almost finished already. I've just had some of it with my jacket potato with cheddar cheese. It's my new favourite thing. I think I could go through a jar a week. It's much, much better than Aldi's caramelised red onion chutney.

Do you prefer something sweet like a fruit jam? Or do you prefer something more spicy/savoury like a chutney? What about fruit? Or nuts? Or are you a purist and just have cheese with the bread/cracker/biscuit carrier?

Surely the title should have been something like 'what's on your cheese board that isn't cheese?' Nothing wrong with accoutrements, and the debate can be lively (so many people are just plain wrong about these things), but this thread is going to be opened by a lot of people who were raring to enthuse about their favourite lactic corpses.

The two things I love with cheese - esp. mature cheddar - are dry roasted peanuts and my own homemade habanero chilli sauce. Occasionally I dip cheese sticks into homemade Mayo as well. No need for anything else

All of the above. Not all at the same time usually, but sometimes. Depends how much/many cheese(s) and what kind and if it's more of a snack or a massive plate and what I feel like eating and (with fresh stuff like fruit) what I have in at the time.

Just been making a load of chutneys this week which should keep me going for a while once they're ready.

The two things I love with cheese - esp. mature cheddar - are dry roasted peanuts and my own homemade habanero chilli sauce. Occasionally I dip cheese sticks into homemade Mayo as well. No need for anything else
I think it must've been you who recommended this interesting/unusual combination recently in a different thread. I bought some dry roasted peanuts with the intention to give it a try, but then snacked on the dry roasted peanuts. But then I got some more on Friday night and so tried cheddar cheese with dry roasted peanuts earlier today. Before having cheese on baked potato, with the onion truffle confit.

Can confirm the combination works. It was very nice and moreish. Thank you for the recommendation. 😋😍

I'm fairly basic about these things - grapes and/or apple, sweet/ploughman's pickle, pickled silverskin onions, or onion chutney can be nice sometimes.

I've decided that crumpets with marmite and a selection of cheeses make an excellent breakfast. Those Europeans who eat cheese for breakfast are certainly doing something right, I just feel sorry for them that they don't have crumpets.

I've decided that crumpets with marmite and a selection of cheeses make an excellent breakfast. Those Europeans who eat cheese for breakfast are certainly doing something right, I just feel sorry for them that they don't have crumpets.
Didn't I read that you're somewhere near Aberdeen atm? You need to try that with butteries instead of crumpets.

In the mid noughties I used to have crumpet toasted with blue dauvergne cheese (which was sold in sainsburys) and topped with sweet chilli sauce for breakfast sometimes

Didn't I read that you're somewhere near Aberdeen atm? You need to try that with butteries instead of crumpets.

So Morrisons in Banchory did not disappoint. Nor did the butteries. They've awesome. But I think the second ingredient is fat, so they should be. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom