Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Reduced shelf lamb stewing pieces so made casserole with odds of root vegetables in the house and added some warm bread with butter. Still plenty in the pot for another 2 meals and possible a cup of soup for later in the week.

I'm making a tuna dauphinoise tonight - actually got the recipe from the label on a tin of tuna and it's pretty good.
You do a potato dauphinoise but put a layer in the middle which is tinned tuna, sautéed leeks, chopped fried bacon or pancetta if you do bacon (I omit as OH is pescetarian), thyme and whatever other herbs you fancy.
I tried it out years ago on a whim and it's one of our favourites, takes absolutely fucking ages though so it's not something I make that often.
With a side salad of tomatoes and olives.

Except I forgot what I was cooking due to a last minute change of plan due to fresh stuff that needs using more quickly...

Tonight we are having (late, as OH still off and in night shift mode but also ill, he's only just got up after a nice lie in), cottage pies.
Beef and Pork mince for me, Quorn mince for him. Carrots, onions and celery in the mince. Topped with mash with finely chopped leek in it (and lots of butter, naturally), and cheese on top.

Ok, this was one of the most awesome things I've cooked for a long time. :cool:

I've not tried that, but it looks similar to the way I sometimes cook white fish - dredge in flour, fry, then with a butter/caper/lemon sauce.
Is that about the gist of it?
If so I recommend it with fish also, white fish with those ingredients is a fine match. I will try it with chicken!

I've not tried that, but it looks similar to the way I sometimes cook white fish - dredge in flour, fry, then with a butter/caper/lemon sauce.
Is that about the gist of it?
If so I recommend it with fish also, white fish with those ingredients is a fine match. I will try it with chicken!

Pretty much. White wine as well, but it's not a flavour profile I've done before. I don't really eat much fish, but I'm quite tempted to try it with pork.

Love Jansson's temptation! As we're in Denmark its seen as very Swedish and outré to include it in the Christmas Eve spread but it's too delicious not to :D

Tonight we had a pasta Bolognese bake enlivened with a top layer of cheesy white sauce with pesto garlic mushrooms. So a not-at-all-lasagne but better than the regular pasta bake :thumbs:

Homemade katsu! Made chicken Panko strips, plus sushi rice and spring greens. Son made the katsu sauce from one of those blocks which is like stock cubes which you boil up. Delicious! I kept reminding the kids how much cheaper it was to make this dish at home than eat out and they pointed out we hardly ever eat out anyway :oops:

In other news all three of us have COVID so that explains why we've had debilitating colds for a week. Sigh.

A838C87D-3A81-4C50-9B4B-E3F3DC7D7D1F.jpeg

Homemade katsu! Made chicken Panko strips, plus sushi rice and spring greens. Son made the katsu sauce from one of those blocks which is like stock cubes which you boil up. Delicious! I kept reminding the kids how much cheaper it was to make this dish at home than eat out and they pointed out we hardly ever eat out anyway :oops:

In other news all three of us have COVID so that explains why we've had debilitating colds for a week. Sigh.

View attachment 401162

Hope you all recover quickly!

Stir fry of smoked tofu, cashew nuts, carrots and runner beans, with rice noodles. I have finally broken my recent unbroken run of throwing tofu away uneaten because I don't get round to it quickly enough.

The branded stuff that is. The Lidl one gets eaten pretty quickly. I now realise that's because it's quite a lot nicer.

Back
Top Bottom