Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Yellowstickered smoked haddock and cheddar fishcakes, creamy leeks and blewits, steamed broccoli

I still have a few meals' worth of broad beans waiting to be picked but I'm leaving them till next week when it's November just for the bragging rights

I had plans for chicken chasseur with quick boulangere potatoes but have been feeling ill most of the day and it's a bit late to start now.
Will have a grub around for something quick.

We've got far to much root veg in, problem with having a veg box and not doing much cooking in the week. My partner is cooking tonight, which is a rare treat, so veg with roasted with chicken portions over the top I think.

I'll do a roast tomorrow with a little turkey crown already wrapped in bacon with stuffing in it tomorrow.

Either a huge brown stew or Szechuan ginger stew on Sunday with portions of the freezer. Aldi had chicken drumstick meat today and it was a fair bit cheaper then thigh. Sure it will go just fine in a stew, but not used it before.

Relatable veg box problems UnderOpenSky , we are awash with green leafy stuff just now, including a savoy cabbage as big as a basketball AND a huge bag of kale. Hence my tart-making yesterday, trying to use everything up!

I don't find greens as bad as although I don't properly cook much in the week, I don't mind doing some greens alongside something from the freezer. Plus kale shrinks loads if you lightly cook it before adding it to the wok with soy and stuff.

Your tart looks ace though!

Did a massive pasta dish last night. Sauce was nicely reduced and coated everything, loads left to freeze.
Tonight its roasting veg time. 5kg of potatoes, 2kg of sweet potatoes, 1kg of carrots somehow made up of 6 huge ones and swede for a buttery peppery mash, 2kg of bone in chicken drumsticks and thighs, homemade onion gravy out the freezer as out of chicken stock. More predone for fridge and freezer use. Wonder if we have Yorkshires. Hmm maybe stuffing balls.

Have to buy some chickens for next time and make up more mire poix chopped pots and holy trinity for whatever we make next. Odd you can't buy predone bags of that at a reasonable price for some diced veg. Mixed veg ones seem to be reasonable enough. Frozen squash has been great for bulking veggie dishes.

I don't find greens as bad as although I don't properly cook much in the week, I don't mind doing some greens alongside something from the freezer. Plus kale shrinks loads if you lightly cook it before adding it to the wok with soy and stuff.

Your tart looks ace though!
Don't get me wrong, we love the stuff and (bizarrely) so does my eldest child. But I don't want it with every meal :D

Last night I ended up having a sausage sarnie - Cumberland sausages fried then halved lengthways then fried a bit more on the cut surface to get a bit of crisp on that - buttered white bread, ketchup and mustard.
Was quick to do and very tasty, I do love a sausage sarnie! Also reminded me that I had a pack of Cumberlands in the fridge that needed to be either used or portioned up and frozen, I froze the ones I didn't use last night so forgotten sausage food waste was happily averted!

Having the chicken chasseur with boulangere potatoes that I fancied last night as a late tea tonight.

Back
Top Bottom