Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

It's taken me almost 7 hours to get home, so it's an easy tea of lasagna, chips and peas.
I've got a tin of Very Merry Munch which I bought for Christmas and it's looking like it's in danger of being opened. :hmm:

I've got a lot of potatoes (due to having to rush out to pick up a prescription at the chemist unexpectedly at an ungodly hour on a Saturday morning and ending up doing the shopping having just rolled out of bed with a hangover and without a list - not a good combination - and ended up buying a bag of potatoes that we didn't need instead of the block of cheddar that we did need :facepalm: )

As it happens I fancy a hash, so thinking Cumberland sausage, streaky bacon, potatoes, red pepper, onions, peas, bit of garlic, some dried chilli flakes, and whatever herbs I fancy when I am cooking it. Or it might be the same ingredients but as a traybake instead, very similar dish just a different method. Traybake less effort than standing at the hob frying so it depends on how lazy I feel :D

No chip van tonight, I assume due to the weather, but the whole group of everyone staying at the campsite or stuck here because of cancelled ferries ended up sharing cars and going out for a meal together at the place in the village that does really good seafood.

I had a fucking amazing crab chowder to start, then the bigger half of this shared with my mum and then shared a lemon posset after.

A large platter of mixed seafood

Last edited:
No chip van tonight, I assume due to the weather, but the whole group of everyone staying at the campsite or stuck here because of cancelled ferries ended up sharing cars and going out for a meal together at the place in the village that does really good seafood.

I had a fucking amazing clam chowder to start, then the bigger half of this shared with my mum and then shared a lemon posset after.

View attachment 396541

OMFG that looks amazing!

Also a good plan to take your mum there for a bit of a treat regardless of weather I reckon :)

Last edited:
Is that likely to go down OK with her? I guess you wouldn't be planning it if it wouldn't :D
Would not go down well with my parents tbf :D
Yeah lots of her family do/did a bit of hunting or poaching, she grew up with it and I remember occasionally finding an uncle in my granny's garage plucking pheasants or something as a kid. She dissected a crow with me and my brother in a holiday cottage garden one time :D

There's a family staying here because their ferry on to Shetland was cancelled and their black lab was getting fed scraps of salmon and lobster when we went out to eat last night, he won't believe his luck when it's duck neck and feet for tea tonight.

Yeah lots of her family do/did a bit of hunting or poaching, she grew up with it and I remember occasionally finding an uncle in my granny's garage plucking pheasants or something as a kid. She dissected a crow with me and my brother in a holiday cottage garden one time :D

There's a family staying here because their ferry on to Shetland was cancelled and their black lab was getting fed scraps of salmon and lobster when we went out to eat last night, he won't believe his luck when it's duck neck and feet for tea tonight.
My parents were hunt sabs a while back, there is no way I would be asking them to pluck anything without a massive row :D

My parents were hunt sabs a while back, there is no way I would be asking them to pluck anything without a massive row :D
Tbf one of the couple who owns the farm is pretty much vegetarian (actually pretty much vegan apart from liking cheese) and even she's come round to the idea of eating the ducks now!

Last night was lamb and barley stew foraged from the freezer after sunset drinks..

Tonight will be an early dinner of roast duck leg, roast pots and green beans. I’m roasting the duck to make a ragu to take to friends for lunch tomorrow… not sure how the smell of roasting duck is going to do with vegan MrShakes who seems to have somewhat overdosed on booze while watching the rugby last night and is only getting out of bed to vomit occasionally
This was delicious- why have I never cooked duck before… 5 big legs (Maryland style) for 10€… might try a whole one next weekend… ragu time now as was too lazy to do last night

Last night was prawn, rabbit and chorizo paella in the pub. Doubly delicious considering it was free. Tonight I think my mum is coming for dinner. I've done and am doing a load of batch cooking on my days off, because skint and tired. So she (veggie) can have some lentil or butternut squash soup. We'll have additional choices of chicken noodle, chilli, or bolognese.

Last night was prawn, rabbit and chorizo paella in the pub. Doubly delicious considering it was free. Tonight I think my mum is coming for dinner. I've done and am doing a load of batch cooking on my days off, because skint and tired. So she (veggie) can have some lentil or butternut squash soup. We'll have additional choices of chicken noodle, chilli, or bolognese.
Liked for the food bit, not the tired and skint bit - know what that feels like and you have my sympathy on that score - cooking good food on a budget is something to feel good about though and a nice comforting bowl or soup or chilli and knowing you've put a good meal in front of you despite it all can soothe the soul. :)

I think I'm going to defrost a pork loin steak and have that fried with some roast spuds, peas and gravy (or maybe a red wine and mustard reduction if I've got enough wine for that and a glass with my dinner).

My mind keeps wandering to the chicken kyiv that is in the freezer, so probably that.
With oven baked (as I'll have the oven on for the kyiv anyway) sliced potatoes - or maybe boulangere potatoes, hmm that is appealing too, will think about the potato situation. Peas or a bit of salad, I've got a tomato that is starting to look a bit sorry for itself and always have olives in and that makes a decent enough side salad.

Actually scratch that, I've got half a tin of beans that needs using so more likely to end up being sausage, beans and either chips or mash.

Beans look a bit dodgy, I hate wasting stuff but not so much that I'm willing to risk food poisoning for 20p worth of baked beans!

Back to Plan A

Boulangere potatoes take quite a while, anyone know if it's feasible to get them most of the way done in the microwave then finish off in the oven for browning the top?
Wouldn't have to have the oven on for as long then (the kyiv will only take 25 minutes which would be just about right for browning the top of the potato dish if they're already cooked through) - got to be worth a go I reckon?
Anyone tried it that way?

Back
Top Bottom