Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Baked potato. 1/2 with cheese, 1/2 with tuna mayo. Purple sprouting broccoli.

It seems wrong to be eating baked potatoes in June, but I saw them in the supermarket and thought they looked easy to prepare. The tuna was a bit of a mis judgement. I plunged the point of the tin opener into the can before realising that I didn't have a spare hand to restrain it while I opened. But managed to struggle through somehow, probably dangerously.

Sausage and beans. The sausages were nice herby ones from the butchers and the beans were butterbeans, dressed up with garlic, pesto, fried onions and oregano.
It was bloody lovely.

Thanks for the inspiration, I was looking earlier at a lacklustre array of items to accompany my pork loin steak for tomorrow and scratching my head, but I have a tin of butterbeans and a basil plant that isn't faring too well and I need to salvage what I can, I reckon something similar to that butterbean pesto dish is going to go perfect with my pork (or tuna steak for OH).

(EDIT: I have made the pesto now ready - as I was only making a small amount I did it the old fashioned way with mortar and pestle, long-winded but oddly satisfying - going to be doing this for breakfast since OH is on nights and I skipped tea last night).

Last edited:
Espresso - bloody top idea, that was delicious! Pretty much saved our (breakfast time) dinner from being boring!

I made pesto as I happened to have a lot of basil and some pine nuts that needed to be used, but a decent one from a jar would work and I'd be more likely to do that most of the time. For the bean dish I used olive oil, red onion which I caramelised slightly, garlic, chilli flakes (just enough for a bit of warmth), butter beans, a good dollop of pesto, the leftover toasted pine nuts that didn't make it into the pesto, lemon juice (half a lemon's worth) and a little more olive oil at the end after it was off the heat.

Was perfect with my pork loin steak, OH loved it with his tuna steak, will do again, and other variations on the theme :)

I love this thread :)

Glad to have been your inspiration! :D That sounds lovely, Epona.

I am a big fan of beans and pulses. They're cheap and dead healthy and take whatever sort of herbs or spices you choose to chuck at them.

Glad to have been your inspiration! :D That sounds lovely, Epona.

I am a big fan of beans and pulses. They're cheap and dead healthy and take whatever sort of herbs or spices you choose to chuck at them.

Aye, I do like them but I get into a rut sometimes and slip into curry/bean chilli/refried beans mode. Good to be reminded of other delicious ways to use them!

Oh...tonight I made WAY too much couscous.
Ended up having 2 savoury versions...one with lemon and herbs and the other with walnuts and spices...curry ish.

I still had a load of couscous left so I made a sweet Moroccan couscous dish with cinnamon, sugar and almonds. Baked it in the oven and and served it with lemon cream. It was delicious!
But I never want to eat that much couscous again.

Back
Top Bottom