Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I love orzo. Only discovered it recently.
It's great stuff, and lovely cold as a salad with lots of chopped up veg like sundried tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn, etc. Slightly crunchy veg is best I think, and adding feta works pretty well too. Slightly disturbing how much oil you can tip onto it and it sort of magically disappears - I often add lemon juice too.

It's great stuff, and lovely cold as a salad with lots of chopped up veg like sundried tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn, etc. Slightly crunchy veg is best I think, and adding feta works pretty well too. Slightly disturbing how much oil you can tip onto it and it sort of magically disappears - I often add lemon juice too.

This - I cooked my orzo and poured olive oil and fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and black pepper into the orzo while it was still hot and tossed it to coat all the grains. Then when cool added cucumber, black olives and crumbled feta (it didn't need additional salt with those items added). Some fresh dill would have worked well in it but I didn't have any.

(Also works really well exactly as above but with the addition of cooked shrimp/prawns as more of a main course)

I love orzo. Only discovered it recently.

Tonight - takeaway veggie curry - in the garden!
Another big orzo fan here. Ainsley Harriott does a one-pan baked Chicken orzo with chorizo and olive dish which is absolutely stunning (his Mediterranean Cookbook is the bollox).

I fancy it now but we're having either pizza (original plan) or curry (new hash & Mojito inspired idea) - prob' have the pizza waiting for the curry :cool:

Another big orzo fan here. Ainsley Harriott does a one-pan baked Chicken orzo with chorizo and olive dish which is absolutely stunning (his Mediterranean Cookbook is the bollox).

I fancy it now but we're having either pizza (original plan) or curry (new hash & Mojito inspired idea) - prob' have the pizza waiting for the curry :cool:

I did something similar a week or two back, just in the oven with onions, garlic, chorizo, the orzo at the bottom sitting in enough stock to cook it and create a little sauce with chicken legs on top with their skin out of the stock so the skin crisps up and baked it in the oven until the chicken was cooked through - was very yummy. Will add olives next time, good suggestion.

That sounds gorgeous. I must try it!

The orzo dish we've had a couple of times recently is orzo in a tomato sauce, with red peppers, kale, and chickpeas (or you can use chicken) – and a topping of feta, lemon juice, and fresh dill. You just chuck the feta and dill in in at the end. Yuuuum.

Thurs - Linda Mc meatballs in baguettes with melted mozzarella and cheddar, baby plum tomatoes with s&p.
Fri - Peanut stew, rice and broc. Salted caramel and white chocolate cornets for pudding.
Today - my son has gone to camp in the woods with his gf and mates and my daughter has just gone to stay the night at her friend's! :)
I literally can't remember the last time it was just me :eek: and that would usually mean either making zero effort, or doing something JUST for me :cool: - but I'd already taken some TVP/lentil bol out of the freezer for myself and the girl and have also already done lots more cooking for the next few days, so can't NOT have it now. :facepalm: So that with broc. Meh.
Might LIVE MY BEST LIFE and add some anchovies to it.
There are still two cornets left, too. :hmm:

A flatbread thing from Aldi. Was shopping today while hot and bothered after 5 hours walking around town

Valencia orange lolly

probably some beer later

I'm going to eat a bit later, it gets really hot in here during the day and I didn't feel like eating with OH earlier.

I've got some lincolnshire sausages and some soft rolls so I think I'll fry up some onions and have with mustard and ketchup and pretend that I am having a late night indoor barbecue!

Back
Top Bottom