Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Yes and no... I have the last 4 months' recipe booklets so could refer to those, but it's partly about being able to buy small amounts of lots of different ingredients. Two teaspoons of harissa, one carrot, a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, that sort of thing. It would be a fiddly way to shop for one person, or you'd need a vast library of unusual ingredients.

Ah yes, gotcha. I just end up with mountains of the 'vast library of ingredients' tbh :facepalm:
That looks great, but I have no idea where to get gochujang paste. What could I use instead -miso?

If you can't get hold of it, I use a cobbled together concoction of miso, chinese chilli bean sauce and a bit of extra sugar :thumbs:
Otherwise, Google gives this alternative with miso (you may want to reduce the proprotions a bit!) -

You will need:

• 1 cup of miso
  • 1/2 cup Korean chili powder (or mix equal parts of cayenne and sweet paprika)
  • 1 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tablespoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of sake
  • 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar
The preparation process:

1. Pour the water into a saucepan, add the sugar, and heat over medium heat until the sugar is totally dissolved.
  2. Next, add the miso and stir the mixture until it becomes thicker and smooth. Mix in the Korean chili powder (or the alternative mixture) and stir until the sauce thickens some more.
  3. When the bubbles on the surface start to burst, turn off the heat and let the content cool down.
  4. When it reaches about 100 degrees Fahrenheit or cools down to room temperature, you can add the vinegar, sake, and salt that will stop the fermentation process.
  5. Now you can remove the homemade gochujang from the heat and let it cool down completely, pour it into the container, seal it and store it in the refrigerator. It will stay good for months.
An omelette.

But... WHERE ARE THE POTATOES, CARROTS AND BROCOLLI, MY FRIEND? :( :D

Just me and my girl today - we're having a big veg stir fry, with a sauce made from various jars, with chicken for me and Frys chicken strips for her.
Malteasers and DONER KEBAB PRINGLES for pudding. :cool:

Ah yes, gotcha. I just end up with mountains of the 'vast library of ingredients' tbh :facepalm:
Also, you're not cooking for one. It's also the portion control that's really helpful - I could get that with Gousto, although it looks more carby. Might try it at some point. Anyway I wouldn't have a box over the summer while I'm producing my own veg.

Speaking of which, tonight's dinner was a self-concocted thing of home grown PSB with quinoa, pesto and toasted pine nuts.

I had a £1 Iceland toad in the hole and was not impressed, they have gone from 3 full sized sausages with vertical placement (which was expected and dependable) to a more artisinal dotting of 4 tiny cocktail sausages in the batter.

It might work better if the sausages were actually good quality sausages, but if I am going to be getting cheap sausages (and I do quite like cheap sausages tbf) just make sure I get full sized ones properly placed in a £1 toad in the hole.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel or pretend that it is something it is not.

(Had it with steamed broccoli, fries in the air fryer, and gravy)

Yesterday my daughter did some part baked baguettes with Southern Quorn nuggets, avo, lettuce and mayo.
I made a set milk/greek yoghurt pudding with some agar agar but should've trusted myself when I thought it was too much aa - it was like a fucking brick and went in the bin :facepalm: so we just had the strawberries that were meant to go with it, with some squirty cream.

Made a veggie moussaka yesterday so that reheated today with some broccoli and warm lemon drizzle cake for pudding.

OMG - just made this (probably overcooked a bit because it was very crispy) So nice! Feel like my inner central heating has been turned on :thumbs:🌶️🌶️

I'm glad you made it - it's lush, eh!
Has been pretty crispy both times I've made it, too - possibly cos I decided to turn it (and make it CRISPIER) before adding the sauce! :D
No complaints from us here anyway (how crispy is TOO crispy? :hmm: ) but yeah, maybe less oven time is needed.

I experimented this time with doing some quorn fillets in the batter/sauce, too - didn't quite stick - but can't remember if I defrosted them first or not now!

I'm glad you made it - it's lush, eh!
Has been pretty crispy both times I've made it, too - possibly cos I decided to turn it (and make it CRISPIER) before adding the sauce! :D
No complaints from us here anyway (how crispy is TOO crispy? :hmm: ) but yeah, maybe less oven time is needed.

I experimented this time with doing some quorn fillets in the batter/sauce, too - didn't quite stick - but can't remember if I defrosted them first or not now!
I'll stick to the cauliflower, Quorn is the work of Beelzebub! I think it was ultra-crispy because I didn't have any delicate breadcrumbs, only the remains of our own sourdough.

Fried mackerel with an invented side of a mixture of things that needed using up: leftover boiled potatoes, cold beetroot and a slightly sad stalk of celery, chucked together with a a few capers and a decent splodge of horseradish.
Strawberries and ice cream.
Wine.
All scoffed in the garden, so it felt like I was on holiday.

Back
Top Bottom