Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I hit trouble tonight.

I am a lazy cook and often quickly heat up frozen meals or microwave ready meals. I do cook sometimes but more often I take the simplest way. However, tonight I realised I am really bored with these ready meals. It isn't that they are bad, just I am bored to my back teeth with them.

They are so quick, which is great, but I have had enough!

I hit trouble tonight.

I am a lazy cook and often quickly heat up frozen meals or microwave ready meals. I do cook sometimes but more often I take the simplest way. However, tonight I realised I am really bored with these ready meals. It isn't that they are bad, just I am bored to my back teeth with them.

They are so quick, which is great, but I have had enough!
Get NIgel Slater's Appetite and get yerself cooking - you won't look back!

Is it ok for an inexperienced cook?
aye, that's why I recommended it - it's what got me into cooking everything from scratch (well not everything - probably have a ready meal once a fortnight, or a takeaway) - it gives you confidence as nothing is prescriptive and he recommends so many variants/ingredient substitions - so you learn to make a basic stew, a basic risotto, a basic savoury tart, how to roast things properly and get decent gravy - all the basics which you can then build on when your confidence grows.

aye, that's why I recommended it - it's what got me into cooking everything from scratch (well not everything - probably have a ready meal once a fortnight, or a takeaway) - it gives you confidence as nothing is prescriptive and he recommends so many variants/ingredient substitions - so you learn to make a basic stew, a basic risotto, a basic savoury tart, how to roast things properly and get decent gravy - all the basics which you can then build on when your confidence grows.
Thanks, I think I will get it .. I do need to improve my cooking .. (a lot :) )

My son's coming round to cook tea later.

It's the first time he's done it but he seems to want us to try something he and his housemates have been eating that involves feta, cherry tomatoes and pasta. Beyond that I'm not sure what to expect.

An enticing looking dried noodles and tuna thing which I will rehydrate. More fruit.

Room service menu (although I actually need to collect from the reception) is limited to burgers, pasta, pizza, curry etc. A bit bland so avoiding. Seems I'm too far out of town for food deliveries.

Back
Top Bottom