Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Vegetarian sausages, mashed potato, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, lamb gravy. The fox is having the leftover topside that didn't make my previous two dinners, the fat and arteries, it was really badly butchered piece of beef, and three slightly cracked eggs.

Missed a couple of days posting on the thread - Sunday night we had a fry up - sausages (pork for me, richmond veggie for OH), bacon (for me), mushrooms, fried eggs, spaghetti hoops (for OH), chips.

Monday night we had mushroom risotto - I kind of resent the time spent standing at the hob while I am cooking it, but that dissipates the moment the first mouthful goes in - worth every minute :)

It is also really really cheap, you know you are getting a lovely meal on a very small budget- some short/medium grain rice, some veg, some stock and maybe a little wine, a wadge of butter and parmesan or similar cheese to either stir in with the butter or grate/shave on top.

Last edited:
Tis indeed. A bean chilli is a thing of beauty though, really satisfying. You should try it sometime :)
I do often, I love veggies as much as meat, in a7 day period I probably eat veggie as many times in a single dish as I eat meat. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't see meat as a thing to eat on a daily menu. I just had mince in the fridge when you posted your meal and it was the sour cream that did it for me 😁

The sprouts in my stew were few and far between - I think it was day 4.
I added a can of chickpeas and a whole load of mushrooms that would have been less than stellar if left for the new batch the day after tomorrow.
I have to go to the shops for more hummus and spinach tomorrow anyway...

Last night was a bit of cold feta tart and new potatoes at 9.30. 😡
Easy dinner tonight as we have to clear out the sofas and fridge freezer for collection after dinner. Sausage, beans and chips with bread and butter. 👍
Then we’ll sit in bed watching telly like Bert and Ernie.

Can you post the recipe?

At the bottom of the slow cooker whisk 1/2 cup water and a tablespoon of flour. Rest 2-4 chicken thighs on to and season.

Mix a tin of chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup each of mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, peppers, onion and olives and a few capers plus garlic, Italian seasoning and season. I added a couple of carrots as they needed using. Stick it on top of the chicken. add 2 1/2 chips of chicken stock. It seems like a lot but you'll need it to cook the pasta.

After about 5 hours on high, taken out the chicken and rage it off the bone, I pulled it all into little bits and stirred it in. I removed the skin, think you'd need to fry/seal it first if you wanted to eat it. Add a squeeze of tomato puree and some washed spinach plus 8oz spaghetti. Stir it all together and leave for another hour (recipe said 15 minutes but I got a call and it was grand after an hour, not sure it would have been done earlier). I also added mozzarella on to of the whole thing and it was all lovely cheesy goodness.

Back
Top Bottom