Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Salvage veg aplenty, some needs using more urgently than others, so tonight (going to be a late meal as we only just got home from stocking up on cheap booze at Lidl) will be using the most fragile items:

Watercress soup as a starter
Main of fried cod served with a spicy cavolo nero risotto

(Edited because my Italian spelling is horrendous)

Last edited:
Disappointingly, it’s either a frozen pizza or the rest of the feta and tomato tart we had last night. I was supposed to be having lunch out (in a restaurant garden) so didn’t sort anything for dinner. I couldn’t face going out and I’m seeing pictures of lovely roasts and cocktails. :mad:

Only got as far as the watercress soup (with loads of bread and butter, obviously) last night due to reasons of time and energy - it was fucking lush and dead easy to make, will definitely do again. I don't tend to buy watercress and certainly wouldn't have thought to get some for a soup, but having some free got me to try it and am very glad I did!

Used this recipe, added black pepper and a tiny bit of nutmeg, and a swirl of double cream as I had that in the fridge, instead of the creme fraiche

So tonight will be having fried cod with cavolo nero risotto. May also have fried plantain, am not entirely sure whether the plantain are very ripe or gone off, will find out when I peel them :D

Well I thought our meal of fried cod and cavolo nero risotto was lush (the plantain were unfortunately well past useable already, such is the way of things when you end up with a bag of veg that is on the verge - if some is useable then that is great but some might not be edible).

OH wasn't keen on the risotto, he said although he loves all kale, having it that way was "odd" and he'd have preferred to have it steamed as a side dish with some gravy. :rolleyes:

We have 2 large aubergines next in line for use which definitely are edible, a load of onions, and some tomatoes that need using - Monday's dinner will be Melanzane Parmigiana with salad and crusty bread.

Does anyone know how long butternut squash keep for? I need to make some soup at some point with the 2 MASSIVE ones I have, but the freezer is rammed so I can't make and freeze soup right now.

Last edited:
It was going to be mushroom bourguignon to use up half a punnet of mushrooms that were looking a bit old. On investigation they're too far past their best so they're now on the compost heap, and instead I'm doing a vegetable stir fry with some crunchy veg that also needs using up, to the point where a bit of that has had to go in the compost too. I'm normally presybetarian about wasting food and it seems especially wrong atm. < slaps wrist hard >

Back
Top Bottom