Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What was your highest exposure to the queue?

What was your highest exposure to the queue?

• I queued

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I was in the queue

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I physically saw the queue

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Someone I know queued and told me about it directly/I heard about it offline

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Someone I have on social media queued and posted about it

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • No personal exposure to the queue

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • I thought I was in the queue but was not, in fact, in the queue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

muscovyduck

Good IT skills and food hygiene competent
One of my ex-work colleagues queued and posted about it online. Predictably it was more about the experience of being In The Queue than seeing the coffin. Interestingly I suspected that at least one person I sort of know would have done this before I even saw her posts. I'm curious about everyone else's exposure?

I turned over the pages of the first half of my fathers newspaper without even a cursory glance so my exposure has to be almost nil. Although I do know its in London

One of my ex-work colleagues queued and posted about it online. Predictably it was more about the experience of being In The Queue than seeing the coffin. Interestingly I suspected that at least one person I sort of know would have done this before I even saw her posts. I'm curious about everyone else's exposure?
If there had a been a "I deliberately avoided going up to town to avoid the fucking spectacle" option, that would have been me.

I was running along it yesterday and did get caught up in it at one point where it was supposed to be a 'queue only' route. Even though it should have been clear from how I was moving down the queue that I wasn't officially part of it, it was really quite a while before any of the several marshals removed me and sent me in a different direction.
Nobody in the queue seemed to be bothered. I suspect that if you really wanted to you could have queue jumped quite a bit.

I'm angry about the queue existing and I'm also angry about Philip Schofield jumping the queue even though I'm aware that he probably didn't.

Just putting this here to remind myself that I'm not immune to being manipulated by media narratives.

The actual queue to see Queen-in-box, I have the same feelings about as Wimbledon: I’m aware it exists, find it bemusing, but accept its something that makes other people happy, and I know that everything is impermanent and it’ll be over soon.

The whimsical mythologising of The Queue, I find irritating, and wish harm on its perpetrators.

I was running along it yesterday and did get caught up in it at one point where it was supposed to be a 'queue only' route. Even though it should have been clear from how I was moving down the queue that I wasn't officially part of it, it was really quite a while before any of the several marshals removed me and sent me in a different direction.
Nobody in the queue seemed to be bothered. I suspect that if you really wanted to you could have queue jumped quite a bit.

I am liking this accidentally in the queue but then removed from the queue by stewards thing, I think this is fairly brilliant and I salute you! :D

I am liking this accidentally in the queue but then removed from the queue by stewards thing, I think this is fairly brilliant and I salute you! :D
If you saw how it happened/was possible you wouldn't think it so daft.
A lot of the queue wasn't sectioned off in any way and still ran along fairly narrow walkways that were still used (in both directions) by normal non queue members of the public. In these areas, it was quite easy to be slowed to a slow walk and merged with the queue as you tried to push through. Along the southbank some of these routes became exclusively 'queue'. I had gotten caught up in the queue side and despite breaking into a jog here and there was still with them. I was being ignored by stewards/marshals but became aware I was probably not supposed to be there as a pedestrian. . . I still went forward anyway, as I did not feel like I needed to be diverted from a public walkway. Eventually someone did stop me though and said "you can't go down here, it is closed off". I half felt like saying "Where are all those people going then?", but I knew I was just being an awkward dafty.
I was actually rejoined the southbank and reunited with the queue literally within two minutes anyway. This happened maybe a couple more times. The queue was usually sectioned off really to enter a zig zag and security check moment which I had no interest in anyway.
After westminster bridge on the south side, the queue was fully sectioned off and heavily monitored.

Apart from reading about it on here, my only queue exposure was watching it round my mum's house yesterday afternoon as she had it on. It was like watching paint dry but at least there were no annoying commentators so i'll give it that.

I'm aware that they're running some quite interesting extra trains to and from Euston as a result. That and the second or two of the radio alarm going off in the morning and some words being spoken about the queue before I swiftly reach for the Off button.

Not this queue, but another.

Took my Catholic mum to Rome for a big birthday. She wanted to see the Sistine Chapel, so we went and there was a long queue. A wait of at least an hour, perhaps two.

Granted she couldn't stand for that long, but I was still mortified when she pushed in near the front. I'd rather have gone right to the very front and asked them what we could do, given her physical difficulty, only pushing in if their answer was rubbish, but she didn't want to.

So in we pushed, and the people in front actually locked arms with each other and refused to budge forward when the queue moved ahead of them, crying that we were "uncivilised." :rolleyes:

Stood our ground and got in quickly, my mortification bested in the moment by outrage at their wafer thin veil over racism.

My sister went to queue in The Queue on Friday afternoon and got into the hall about 2.20am. She got home about 4 in the morning and could barely walk up the stairs to bed her back ached that much. She likes to be a part of spectacles like this and posted about 30 photos taken from The Queue on social media. Laughingly, ( I thought) her big moment in front of the box was her shuffling nonchalantly past, as if she was at a boot fair.

Despite her back ache she gamely travelled up to London at the crack of dawn today to get a place on The Mall to watch the procession. The funeral proceedings were broadcast to the crowds here over radio, apparently. 40+ photos and a video on social media to follow.

I watched zero tv all weekend and didn’t read the newspaper, but I was aware of it cos of my addiction to social media mostly via the medium of memes taking the piss.

Back
Top Bottom