Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What stupid shit has Trump done today?

The thread - by a jewish writer on conspiracy theories and antisemitism - goes into more detail why it's bullshit. Worth clicking through and reading.

That statement in full:

foundry.png

Right-wing press in the US is making a meal of it, attacking "deranged conspiracy theorists" and noting that the company has donated to Biden. Shame CPAC etc. can't reject actual white supremacists as forcefully as they reject alleged connections to rune-shaped stages.

It was a pretty deranged conspiracy theory tbf - and one of the reasons it's a good idea to think stuff like this through a little before sharing it is to avoid giving enemies the ammunition to dismiss us as deranged conspiracy theorists.

It was a pretty deranged conspiracy theory tbf - and one of the reasons it's a good idea to think stuff like this through a little before sharing it is to avoid giving enemies the ammunition to dismiss us as deranged conspiracy theorists.

I suppose moving the discussion to it being 100% deliberate makes it easier to dismiss as conspiracy when there is no evidence otherwise.

My take is a bit more nuanced, i found it's appearance somewhat uncanny.

It's dead easy to get sucked into deranged conspiracy theories on twitter, I've done it myself more than once. Take a moment to learn from it happening to you instead of immediately pivoting to a 'nuanced' position you didn't have last week.

It's dead easy to get sucked into deranged conspiracy theories on twitter, I've done it myself more than once. Take a moment to learn from it happening to you instead of immediately pivoting to a 'nuanced' position you didn't have last week.

this was my take when I posted on the previous page:

I wouldn't rule out coincidence, but then i wouldn't rule out shenanigans or other potential signalling either.

I'll happily admit that I nearly fell off my chair when I first saw it, and thought it was worth posting here under the Trump live feed. However the conspiracy train is not something I wish to either get on or help on it's way, and I wasn't aware of the traction this was getting with the it's 100% deliberate crowd when I first posted it.

this was my take when I posted on the previous page:

I wouldn't rule out coincidence, but then i wouldn't rule out shenanigans or other potential signalling either.

I'll happily admit that I nearly fell off my chair when I first saw it, and thought it was worth posting here under the Trump live feed. However the conspiracy train is not something I wish to either get on or help on it's way, and I wasn't aware of the traction this was getting with the it's 100% deliberate crowd when I first posted it.
the tweets you posted before that 'take' didn't seem very nuanced, but ok.

Lol, speak for yourself mate. Most people with more than a passing knowledge in the far-right know exactly what that symbol is and what it represents. Thinking 'how the fuck did that end up as a stage at a CPAC conference' isn't a conspiracy theory.

Just because twitter is populated with deranged cranks (surprise) doesn't make that question any less reasonable to ask. Using deranged twitter as your pivot point in being right on about things isn't a great look either.

the tweets you posted before that 'take' didn't seem very nuanced, but ok.

3 posts.

The first was the original tweet I saw, posted without comment.

The second I wrote ‘someone knows’ which was a direct reply to your ‘no one knows’ regarding knowledge of the symbol, showing examples of the likeness of the image in question.

The third was about an old GFs tattoo.

I suppose the second one could be ambiguous.

3 posts.

The first was the original tweet I saw, posted without comment.

The second I wrote ‘someone knows’ which was a direct reply to your ‘no one knows’ regarding knowledge of the symbol, showing examples of the likeness of the image in question.

The third was about an old GFs tattoo.

I suppose the second one could be ambiguous.

Haven't you heard that it is out of bounds to take a measured guess on the probability of something, and end up being wrong about it, because there are unhinged ppl loose on twitter.

fwiw it is 'out of bounds' to post links to other websites without comment, and IMO posting links to conspiracy theories on twitter without comment is particularly shit.

anyway.

fwiw it is 'out of bounds' to post links to other websites without comment, and IMO posting links to conspiracy theories on twitter without comment is particularly shit.

anyway.

The post was effectively a photo that spoke for itself and was directly related to the previous post.

The likeness of the stage in the photo to the symbol in question is not a conspiracy, it is fact. What has become labelled a conspiracy theory is discussion of its appearance being a deliberate act.

this guy has you nailed tbf

I was cynical until I saw just how close the design is. Now I don't think it's a big conspiracy amongst everyone involved but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the team with dodgy intentions seeded the idea or maybe someone wanted to make the CPAC look bad and suggested it. Amazing that both sides (or none) could be 'guilty' - that's one of the things that Trump introduced - the idea that everything could be incompetence or a dog whistle or 4d chess. It just became impossible to take anything at face value.

The firm behind the design said this - Design firm takes responsibility for CPAC stage controversy - but that doesn't really tell us about the individuals that worked on it.

I wandered away from Urban for another couple of weeks after my last check in. On my return the stupid Trump thread is STILL more active than the stupid Biden thread. Even with Trump being banned from Twitter he still wins the stupid contest.

Gotta love it.

And that's without all the posts that aren't counted, hidden by the corrupt Urban establishment.

I bet the reason the concealment is wanted, is because no-one can actually untangle nor understand all the fine details. so no-one actually has the full picture.

I wandered away from Urban for another couple of weeks after my last check in. On my return the stupid Trump thread is STILL more active than the stupid Biden thread. Even with Trump being banned from Twitter he still wins the stupid contest.

Gotta love it.

It's quite something, actually. I guess it shows that it's easier to get away with impoverishing Americans, putting kids in cages, and bombing foreigners as a neoliberal Democrat than as a bombastic quasi-fascist Republican.

But hey, the libs have gotten their brunches now, and so they have no reason to give a fuck any more.

I look forward to the electoral shit-show starting up again in 2024, assuming of course that somehow all the broken promises and patrician Democrat sneering at working-class Americans doesn't lead to an upset in the midterms.

Democrats are the Good Cops to the Republican's Bad Cops. How many times does this charade have to play out before Americans realise that they're both fucking cops?

Only came across this today because of Doonesbury. Regardless of the context and invoking Godwin (it is being used because Republicans are saying Trump has learned his lesson) it is a pretty astonishing piece of journalism from the New York Times in 1924.

Link to article in it's full context (i.e the actual page of the newspaper). https://www.snopes.com/uploads/2021/01/Screenshot-2021-01-15-at-16.54.01.png

Text of article reads,

BERLIN, Dec. 20 — Adolph Hitler, once the demi-god of the reactionary extremists, was released on parole from imprisonment at Fortress Landsberg, Bavaria, today and immediately left in an auto for Munich. He looked a much sadder and wiser man today than last Spring when he, with Ludendorff and other radical extremists, appeared before a Munich court charged with conspiracy to overthrow the Government.

His behavior during imprisonment convinced the authorities that, like his political organization, know as the Völkischer, was no longer to be feared. It is believed he will retire to private life, and return to Austria, the country of his birth.

It's quite something, actually. I guess it shows that it's easier to get away with impoverishing Americans, putting kids in cages, and bombing foreigners as a neoliberal Democrat than as a bombastic quasi-fascist Republican.

But hey, the libs have gotten their brunches now, and so they have no reason to give a fuck any more.

I look forward to the electoral shit-show starting up again in 2024, assuming of course that somehow all the broken promises and patrician Democrat sneering at working-class Americans doesn't lead to an upset in the midterms.

Democrats are the Good Cops to the Republican's Bad Cops. How many times does this charade have to play out before Americans realise that they're both fucking cops?

I was only interested in American politics when they went so far off the deep end they ended up in outer space.
Couldn't help but watch.

Only came across this today because of Doonesbury. Regardless of the context and invoking Godwin (it is being used because Republicans are saying Trump has learned his lesson) it is a pretty astonishing piece of journalism from the New York Times in 1924.

Link to article in it's full context (i.e the actual page of the newspaper). https://www.snopes.com/uploads/2021/01/Screenshot-2021-01-15-at-16.54.01.png

Text of article reads,
Hitler was of course in his mid 30s at the time not his mid 70s but I certainly don't think the risk of civil war has decreased any with Biden's election.

Still trying to seem relevant...

Former President Donald Trump issued a statement Wednesday on presidential letterhead that read less like an official missive and more like one of his old tweets: “Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: I hope that everyone remembers when they’re getting the COVID-19 (often referred to as the China Virus) Vaccine, that if I wasn’t president, you wouldn’t be getting that beautiful ‘shot’ for 5 years, at best, and probably wouldn’t be getting it at all.

I hope everyone remembers!” Trump was banned from Twitter on Jan. 8 in the wake of the riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Back
Top Bottom