Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your home TV set up?

What is your home TV set up?

• Total voters

Hollis

bloody furious
I think I am somewhat behind the times with TVs.. wondering how most people get pictures inside their house these days.

Unfortunately the poll wasn't multiple choice!

I voted traditional aerial, because we have a communal aerial for our estate and our Freeview comes via that, and we probably use that most out of everything.
We do also stream stuff via the internet/wifi however - usually have at least 1 subscription streaming service out of Netflix, Disney+ or AppleTV on the go at any particular time.
Also free streaming services and Youtube over the internet ofc.
I also cast stuff to the TV via our home network from either a phone or my PC or an external hard drive on occasion.

I have a very nice computer so I mostly watch stuff on my huge computer screen - especially films.

But I do have a small tv upstairs, not connected to an ariel, but it takes DVDs so I can watch Sopranos or some other series I happen to have on DVD.

We have a Smart TV which has a conventional aerial and an Ethernet connection through which we watch Prime and Netflix as well.
It is also connected to a Blu-Ray DVR.
I download loads of stuff which we watch either by copying onto a USB stick and plugging into the USB port on the DVR or by copying onto a tablet and then connect that to the TV via a USB-C/HDMI cable

I put mine in the cellar about a decade ago to decorate the front room, any it has stayed there ever since. I only really used the big screen for gaming, and I don't do that any more.

The thought of streaming terrestrial TV into my space gives me the heebie-jeebies now. Life is sweeter without it, for me.

I believe they’ve started stuffing live tv down internet wifi horns and aerials are no longer necessary: Freely | All your favourite TV shows, all in one place and all for free

Believe it or not, where we are in our part of East London, we're still on fibre to the cabinet with antique (probably over 100 years old) copper wiring from cabinet to home here, our internet drops out regularly due to the poor state of the copper cable and is very slow (my parents in the middle of nowhere have better internet due to the scheme where rural internet provision got a lot of funding) - the TV aerial for the block doesn't have those issues.

what's the catch?
I don’t know. Someone who understands will put us right.

I have a smart TV made by Hisense. It has an internet connection and the old fashioned thing in the wall that disappears up to the aerial.

But what’s actually going on, I have little clue.

no cable. i bought an expensive-ish aerial and it works well enough. i do miss the hockey tho'.

Have a BT box that I use for recording stuff, soon to be replaced by an EE box that does the same except is wireless

The box arrived today but apparently they need to do some work to set up my fibre to properly

Rarely watch live TV - sport would be the exception and before that it would have been the election

Smart TV with a firestick. Hooked into a pair of Echo devices.

I have an aerial plugged in for when I need a proper freeview signal and can’t rely on streaming (big footbal tournaments, major news stuff like elections etc).

But generally just rely on streaming which is YouTube 80% of the time and the rest probably a combination of Netflix, Amazon, Now, iPlayer/itvX and Discovery Plus for sport. But I barely have time to watch any of them because YouTube is the main one.

Everything is on wi-fi. Two smart TVs a 55" Sony and a 43"Hisense. Both have basic Meo package ( Portuguese telecoms supplier) which is like a Portuguese Freeview . Both Firesticks have Spanish Amazon Prime (49 euros pa) , UK TV with full SKY and TNT via an IPTV service £8 a month

I am in a password club for HBO, Disneyplus, Paramount, Hulu, Peacock, Sky Showtime , Prime USA, AMC , SKY NZ, and OPTUS , Setanta Ukraine plus Box Office Events via the Firestick for £10 a month.

PC goes through the Sony 55". Sound is a NAD amplifier and Mission Speakers

Used to use public wifi to download stuff to watch on my phone, till I fucked netflix off when they brought in ads and tried to claim that moving people onto a shitter deal was in fact just a reduction in price of the thing they were previously paying for.

No aerial and no streaming apps other then my partners YouTube.

All other content is torrented and stored on my little server and streamed locally via Plex. I still pay for Amazon for delivery, but when introduced ads I started torrenting their stuff as well.

Last edited:
AppleTV and fireTV stick to a 55” TV. No aerial, no sat dish - I took them both down years ago, realising we didn’t need them any more and they would eventually fall down anyway.

We spend maybe £30ish per month in service subscriptions (Netflix, Disney+, Max) and share a viaplay subscription with MiL. It’s a lot of money across the course of a year, but we do sit home every night getting value from them.

An app for every service and the stuff you would get via aerial or sat dish can be streamed live within the apps. If our internet connection goes down we are screwed, but that’s very rare and there’s always the DVD player and DVD collection as backup.

Last edited:
I've got a smart TV with an Ethernet cable going into the back. We use that to stream iPlayer, YouTube, Netflix, Prime etc.

We stream, have free to air, and a satellite dish. Which one we use depends on what we are watching. The signal is really bad sometimes we can only use streaming, we inherited the sat dish and rarely use it.

BT box , will probably switch to EE when I can be arsed as they are now part of BT & seem to be pumping out some good deals .

I have Sky. I didn't want to get it originally because it was owned by Murdoch. But the communal aerial on my house stopped working and freeholder wouldn't sort it out.
So I got a service which came through telephone line. I can't remember the name now. They stopped service while upgrading so I switched to Sky. Virgin hadn't cabled my road then so it was the only option.
As I'm retired I do watch a lot of tv in the evening. I'm quite happy with Sky though it costs just over £100 per month, including Sky movies, Netflix, and telephone.
When my tv packs up I will probably get the Skyglass.

Last edited:
I have a very old Sony Bravia TV and a youview box as I prefer to record terrestrial stuff as it's easier than remembering what I wanted to watch.

I've recently had to get a Firestick for Netflix as my youview box isn't compatible with ads and they wanted to up my subscription to a £10.99 one.

I have a Smart TV in my bedroom which I haven't actually connected up since I moved here a year and a half ago - I watch Netflix & Prime on my kindle in bed.

I haven't voted in the poll as it isn't multiple choice.

Back
Top Bottom