Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is your home TV set up?

What is your home TV set up?

• Total voters
Out of interest, how do people watch tv on a computer monitor? They don't seem very conducive to watching anything for more than a few minutes. Or do you project onto a tv screen? Can't imagine watching a film on a laptop or sat on a computer chair inches away from a screen. I need to be sat down properly to watch tv.
I sometimes watch stuff on my iPad in bed or in my office when I’m doing admin. It’s not as good as the tv but it’s fine.

To be a pendant a PC can be a laptop, desktop or other form factor :p
I’m well confused now. I thought a PC was a desktop and a laptop a laptop?
(though lots of people seem to call desktops laptops these days, judging by customer enquiries at work)

Monitor is on a coffee table in front of the sofa, cat and keyboard are on my lap.
Beverage (currently a mug of black tea with honey) on a small table next to the sofa.
Is is a wireless keyboard then?
I think I’d need the monitor to be further away and more elevated for my comfort.

Is is a wireless keyboard then?
I think I’d need the monitor to be further away and more elevated for my comfort.

No, all wired, you get a bit of lag with wireless which is no good for gaming.
The monitor is on a very adjustable stand and my eyes are level with the top 3rd of it, which is the advised height in terms of ergonomics.
A lot of stuff is more adjustable than you seem to imagine :D
I could also play games using a controller and the TV without moving from my seat if I wanted, but I prefer my monitor as I can have stuff higher resolution because it's up close (otherwise I can't read onscreen text at high res on the TV). And my arthritic thumbs don't like controllers so kb+m is better for me.

I’m well confused now. I thought a PC was a desktop and a laptop a laptop?
(though lots of people seem to call desktops laptops these days, judging by customer enquiries at work)

Yes. See people also calling the PC the CPU, modem, hard disk etc.

We’ve just got sky glass. Our TV was on the way out and the sound was awful.
We got an ok deal which was slightly less than renewing our package without it.

The TV is nice, sound is good. Be warned, if you select anything but standard colour, you also have to pay for the sound bar if you want it to match which is a fucking swizz.
I won't need a sound bar. I'm hoping that the Skyglass gets a bit slimmer, looks quite chunky now.
I have read that you can't get Al Jazeera on it. Not a big deal as I can't get that channel and a number of other news channels now.

I won't need a sound bar. I'm hoping that the Skyglass gets a bit slimmer, looks quite chunky now.
I have read that you can't get Al Jazeera on it. Not a big deal as I can't get that channel and a number of other news channels now.
It’s on the TV not separate.
I didn’t think it was too chunky but ours is on a shelf anyway so we wouldn’t notice.

:weed: :weed: :weed:

Poll is a bit fucked TBH, no option for satellite dish (Sky/Freesat/other box), not multiple choice, and two options for 'Watching it directly on my laptop/tablet/phone', FFS Hollis, sort yourself out! :D

I''m still confused...many questions..

Why would you take out a more expensive cable package rather than just a streaming service?

If you stream from your laptop can you still piss around surfing on it?

Is the quality of streaming as good as cable?

Why don’t you nip round to Epona’s , sit down , get comfy have a cuppa and try it out, see if you like it ?

depends if cat is happy to sit on his lap

:p

At least with desktop and laptop there are clues in the name

although how many people keep a desktop on the desk now?

CPU box in horizontal mode with the monitor stood on it was the default once, but pretty rare now. i can't remember when it changed, but must have been a while ago.

most big box computers are now vertical mode and under the desk. 'desktop' is increasingly misleading.

hmm.

in answer to the original question,

TV is plugged in to aerial socket, aerial is in loft. i installed it when digital became a thing (had just about been able to get a signal with indoor aerial before that) the cable to the roof mounted aerial was crap, and it points in the opposite direction to most round here (presume someone was trying to get london rather than south) so could never get a signal on it.

It's a smart TV so there's an ethernet cable run to it as well, so I can watch things on catch-up.

although how many people keep a desktop on the desk now?

CPU box in horizontal mode with the monitor stood on it was the default once, but pretty rare now. i can't remember when it changed, but must have been a while ago.

most big box computers are now vertical mode and under the desk. 'desktop' is increasingly misleading.

hmm.
Is it? I don’t know what you mean. There is a desktop in my house and my workplace is full of them. I know nothing of ‘floortops’ if that’s what they are.

Is it? I don’t know what you mean. There is a desktop in my house and my workplace is full of them. I know nothing of ‘floortops’ if that’s what they are.
It's what I referred to earlier when I said my computer is a "Tower PC" - you wouldn't have it on the top of the desk, because it's taller than it is wide.
ATX cases come in both configurations (various things will be in different positions, depending upon whether it is desktop or tower - fan vents, mountings for power supply, hard drives, DVD/Blu Ray if anyone uses those any more, power and reset buttons and USB/HDMI/Ethernet sockets etc) but actual desktop ie. wider than it is tall, laid on its side compared to a tower case, is less common these days.

and the loss of big monitors is a backwards step for kitties

ece47dafef6405ca750855ff2d650aeb.jpg

It's what I referred to earlier when I said my computer is a "Tower PC" - you wouldn't have it on the top of the desk, because it's taller than it is wide.
ATX cases come in both configurations (various things will be in different positions, depending upon whether it is desktop or tower - fan vents, mountings for power supply, hard drives, DVD/Blu Ray if anyone uses those any more, power and reset buttons and USB/HDMI/Ethernet sockets etc) but actual desktop ie. wider than it is tall, laid on its side compared to a tower case, is less common these days.
The keyboard and monitor remain on most computer desks though, no?

Jakey sits on everyone's lap, he loves people and thinks every visitor is here just to see him.

Sadly, he's a bit incontinent in his old age, and although I can provide puppy pads, not everyone would be happy to have him on their lap :(
Also I probably need to incinerate the carpet before anyone ever visits again. :(
He is a lovely auld boy mind and does love visitors.

The keyboard and monitor remain on most computer desks though, no?

Why?
They don't have to.
A traditional office type setup is not needed, or even desirable in a lot of cases, for playing games.
Would you play games using a games console at a desk?

Why?
They don't have to.
Cos people need to work at desks. The desktop at home is on the desk cos there is nowhere else to put it. I wouldn’t put it directly on the floor where feet would kick it and I doubt it would be common practice in offices either. In my admittedly limited experience of probably 10+ workplaces, I can’t ever recall seeing computers on floors.

Why?
They don't have to.
A traditional office type setup is not needed, or even desirable in a lot of cases, for playing games.
Would you play games using a games console at a desk?
No, but I admittedly failed to consider that some people use PCs for games. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gaming PC in real life. I was thinking of them as workplace computers.
My world is simple
Desktop - work
Laptop - social media, music
Console - games, films and tv

Cos people need to work at desks. The desktop at home is on the desk cos there is nowhere else to put it. I wouldn’t put it directly on the floor where feet would kick it and I doubt it would be common practice in offices either. In my admittedly limited experience of probably 10+ workplaces, I can’t ever recall seeing computers on floors.

But people don't just use computers to work on, they are also for leisure.
And you can put one anywhere you would put a games console.
You can sit to play games on one anywhere you would sit to play games using a games console.
I don't want to sit at a desk to play games.

I have a tower PC nowhere near a desk, so I can use it from the sofa.

I actually have a bit of a "thing" about people saying they prefer a games console over a PC because "you can sit on the sofa and play on the TV" but you can do that from a PC too.
You can set it up in all manner of configurations.
Not just a traditional "office work" setup.

No, but I admittedly failed to consider that some people use PCs for games. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gaming PC in real life. I was thinking of them as workplace computers.
My world is simple
Desktop - work
Laptop - social media, music
Console - games, films and tv

Why?

Back
Top Bottom