Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Petri's last film before going serious i think - the style-ishness must have been laughable even then

If you have any sort of interest in costume design or fashion, its style is rather witty and well ahead of its time. 20 year later it seems Jean-Paul Gaultier based his whole career on the film's strap bondage look. It's fluff, but fun and it doesn't take itself seriously for a second.

The Keep Great film ta watch when yer stoned of yer box. When Ian McKellen hams it up after bein cured by the monster is freakin hilarious, Oh and Gabriel Byrne attempt to do a nazi commander wiv a basin haircut cracked me up bigtime.....,.,.,.,.,.,., Caramello innit

Mimic: Passable horror in which Mira Sorvino battles giant mutant cockroach thingies under the streets of New York. It starts really well before getting a bit, well, dull really. Director Guillermo Del Toro disowned the version I saw because of interference from the studio and he's recently released a 'director's cut' on Bluray.

Off the back of an earlier discussion in this thread I re-watched a decent cut of Dune (directors cut, iirc). Still a visually great mess, although I had forgotten the quiet intensity of some of the portrayals- Duke Leto in particular 'the sleeper must awaken'

The harkonnens were ham and cheese

The rise of the planet of the apes when we were a bit wasted. It was fun in parts, very crap in others.

I'm pretty sure that there were meant to be subtitles for some of the ape communication parts that we didn't have on our copy. MrsN1 thought there shouldn't and the ape communicationwas about the 'feeling'. It's fucking hollywood blockbuster shit though. Can someone saw it in the cinema settle our debate on the subtitle issue?

I though Rise of the Planet of the Apes was great, the best big Hollywood film of the year IMO and I was so ready to hate it. The first act is standard mad scientist fare, but once Caesar becomes the main protagonist it really hits its stride. Is it the cool stance to just hate everything that comes out of Hollywood on principle ?

The apes didn't have subtitles at the cinema and really didn't need it, your better half got the idea. You find out everything they communicate through their actions shortly after.

The apes didn't have subtitles at the cinema and really didn't need it, your better half got the idea. You find out everything they communicate through their actions shortly after.

That's good to know! They didn't need subtitles, but as it was Hollywood I was expecting them. There was also a debate about it on a download site I got it off

Is it the cool stance to just hate everything that comes out of Hollywood on principle

No. It's just that a lot of it is shit. I do enjoy Hollywood stuff sometimes, Batman films and Inception spring to mind, I also loved Bridesmaids.

I watched Alien, Aliens and The Crazies (he remake) with a friend and her 13 year old boy on my projector. He liked Alien the best. Good boy ! Kids these days don't seem to get scared by anything anymore though.

you need something violent and with a plain nasty vibe to it to ruffle em. Devils Rejects.

which i will watch again tonight

you need something violent and with a plain nasty vibe to it to ruffle em. Devils Rejects.

which i will watch again tonight

Rob Zombies films are cynical trash and I wouldn't show them to a kid (or a friend). His Manson/white trash hero worship is just adolescent posturing. He has absolutely no interest in the victims as characters, they are completely depersonalised, so nothing is at stake and the overall message seems to be that killing, torturing and raping people doesn't matter much. My friend's kid is probably too smart for them anyway. I doubt he would actually get scared by The Devil's Rejects (I certainly wasn't) and he would see right through all the empty grandstanding.

thats why they are nasty. that 'nude nuns with big guns' has a similar kind of...exploitative nastiness to it. Still, at least in devils rejects they all get shot at the end and then the credits roll.

having watched a public enemy documentary I'm tempted to d/l some early spike lee, although the clips shown do look like the early stuff hasn't aged well I am still interested.

thats why they are nasty. that 'nude nuns with big guns' has a similar kind of...exploitative nastiness to it. Still, at least in devils rejects they all get shot at the end and then the credits roll.

having watched a public enemy documentary I'm tempted to d/l some early spike lee, although the clips shown do look like the early stuff hasn't aged well I am still interested.

As a trash connoisseur I would never watch a film called Nude Nuns with Big Guns, the title alone is trying way to hard to be edgy and hip and it fails badly by being too on the nose. Like the dire Mega Shark vs. Whatever or Lesbian Vampire Killers it sounds like the type of film that was made as an afterthought to the title.

Just nasty on its own isn't very interesting, scary or of any entertainment value to me. I got all of that out of my system with the original 70s and 80s exploitation films, which at least are of some film historical interest and shocking because you can't quite believe what rules they broke and boundaries they transgressed 40/30 years ago. They are just as nasty but they are lacking the desperate hipster irony you get with this type of retro-style cash in.

A couple of cheery little numbers this weekend.
Snowtown. Grim, depressing, bleak, uncomfortable & a very unnerving performance from the actor playing John.
Followed that up with The Wrestler which was just sad. Great performances from Mickey Rourke & Marisa Tomei.

Dotty. Spoilers man.

I watched half an hour of Your Highness, not as bad as they made out but I fell asleep anyway.

Then we both watched half an hour of Centurion before turning it off and going to do something more interesting.

On Saturday I watched Alien and Aliens with a good friend and her 13 year old son. Aliens is still fun, but it hasn't dated that well. The boy found some of the dialogue pretty cringle-worthy and it is. Alien is an absolutely timeless. film. The kid far preferred it. Good boy !

On Saturday I watched Alien and Aliens with a good friend and her 13 year old son. Aliens is still fun, but it hasn't dated that well. The boy found some of the dialogue pretty cringle-worthy and it is. Alien is an absolutely timeless. film. The kid far preferred it. Good boy !

Deja vu

Has it dated?
As dated as Fright Night :(

I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom