Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Priest. An adaptation froma korean comic book with brad dourif and some other cunt. In the far future makind has one weapon against the vampire race, the Priests. Well shit, but the action sequences are good.

Dotty i love your film reviews......

*imagines dotty on Film 2012*

:D

Captain Hurrah. Many Thanks.

Watching the above has prompted me to read up onNestor Makhno. I see there is a Russian t.v. series but nowhere to be found is one with English subs, more's the pity.

Yep, the Nine Lives of Nestor Makhno. I bought the twelve-part series for a few quid on DVD in Russia back in 2006. I thought it was shit, and ended up sending it in the post to an anarchist who posts here sometimes. You're not missing anything.

Lynch fucked it well and truly. Captured the distinct future gothic feel but as for anything resembling a plot that makes sense...

There is an edit doing the rounds, a bad one, that attempts to rectify this with v/o bits and concept art. Really doesn't help much.

Interestingly the original attempt to film by Jodorowsky that had Dali, Giger and a whose-who of up and comers on board imploded and never made it off the drawing board. There is a documentary about that failure due for release soon, will be keeping my eye out for it.

Gigers concept art for dune is....very giger.

Laurel and Hardy Christmas DVD which includes
  • Below Zero
  • Big Business
  • The Fixer Uppers
  • Laughing Gravy
Perfect lounging on the sofa viewing and very funny

Lynch fucked it well and truly. Captured the distinct future gothic feel but as for anything resembling a plot that makes sense...

There is an edit doing the rounds, a bad one, that attempts to rectify this with v/o bits and concept art. Really doesn't help much.

Interestingly the original attempt to film by Jodorowsky that had Dali, Giger and a whose-who of up and comers on board imploded and never made it off the drawing board. There is a documentary about that failure due for release soon, will be keeping my eye out for it.

Gigers concept art for dune is....very giger.
I've a soft spot for the Lynch film, I know it's a bit of a mess and very silly in some parts but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as a lot of people make out.

Was it Jodorowsky who wanted Paul to get off with Jessica or was that somebody else? I know there were lots of people linked to it before Lynch finally made it.

The Jodorowsky version of Dune certainly would have been intriguing, but narrative coherence never was one of his strong points, so I'm not sure if it wold have been that much better than than the Lynch film. For the first half Lynch's Dune is pretty good, but it tries to cram way too much plot into the second half. Ridley Scott was the next director to have a stab at Dune before he went on to make Alien, taking HR Giger with him.

I've seen it tons of times and in several different cuts. It's not rubbish, but it is a total failure in story conveyance. It goes well with a spliff (the visuals, see)

The Devil's Playground: A Lidl version of 28 Days Later that was only 99p on FilmFlex. Craig Fairbrass and Danny Dyer are in it and yet, somehow, it isn't nearly as bad as you'd imagine. Not sure what the brilliant Jaime Murray is doing in it - I always assumed her burgeoning TV career in the States meant she didn't have to slum it any more.

A Korean film called Poetry which was alright but its also been a bit overpraised by critics. Also Hobo with a Shotgun, which I quite liked. It's much better than the last entry in the Grindhouse staple, the hugely self-satisfied Machete. This one genuinely catches some of the mood of it's influences (80s cult weirdness like Street Trash) and manages to add a little sincerity and heart when it's not lopping of body parts and burning small children alive.

Hobo with a Shotgun, which I quite liked. It's much better than the last entry in the Grindhouse staple, the hugely self-satisfied Machete. This one genuinely catches some of the mood of it's influences (80s cult weirdness like Street Trash) and manages to add a little sincerity and heart when it's not lopping of body parts and burning small children alive.
All in glorious Technicolor. Very odd film.

it has such a weird, druggy feel to it. there's something up with the sound 'design' as well - it's all a bit feverish and hallucinatory

Hors-la-loi - Outside the Law. Rachid Bouchareb's follow up to his acclaimed Indigènes - Days of Glory.

Probably one of the most accomplished films I've seen all year. Technically a masterpiece with superb editing, art and production, photography and acting. From the off it maintains a steady rhythm and engages you in all the characters. Not one dull moment.

Ostensibly it is about the lives of three brothers - one imprisoned for his politics, the other a Vietnam veteran and Jamel Debbouze playing the pimp-entertainer come boxing promoter. The real story is about the formation of the Algerian NLF in the slums of Nanterre and the roles played by the brothers. Bouchareb's sense of period is quite amazing. He ties in the events of the WW11 Liberation of Paris with the killing of Algerian demonstrators in Setif on the same day. He then moves the brothers forward through the 1950's and '60's. In many respects, besides being a compact lesson in history, it is also a damn good thriller which oozes atmosphere.

I liked the line about not drinking and smoking lest it provided the government with taxes. That really is dedication to the cause.

5/5

Synopsis

http://www.allrovi.com/movies/movie/outside-the-law-v517683

:D It might be shit, haven't seen it since it came out. Still highly rated back home, so... let me know what you think. Did you ever see Pathfinder (Veiviseren)? The original, not the remake.
I've got it in my huge pile of scando/northern films to watch (seriously - i have).

The 10th Victim, fabulously "mod" 60s sci-fi film about sponsored man hunts starring Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress.

Back
Top Bottom