Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I watched scarface last night and got bored after about half hour, but then again i'm not one to sit still and watch a film all the way through. Apparently its a really good film, i wouldn't know as i never finished watching it.

Film version of Coogan/Brydon's The Trip, I watched the series but this still made me laugh. They kept most of the best bits (although they'd chopped the "hello I'm Holbeck Gryll" bit :( ) and seemed to have less emphasis on the food. Didn't seem to be any extra footage apart from a few shots but still worth watching if you liked the series.

Dr who the web planet.

Brilliantly laughable aliens (that no amount to Vaseline in the lens can cure) and slow vintage who pacing. Yawn.
In episode two Hartnell gets the hump because they started 15 minutes late and he is worried he won't catch his train.
I managed to get four episodes in before discovering that there are actually 6 or (8?). Jesus, it's painful stuff.

It's awesome isn't it, went straight to the top of my list (or somewhere abouts). First time I watched it, I watched it straight after again, and then the next day. The only other film I have done that with recently (well I watched half again and then watched it the next day) was 'super' I think.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it had not even been on at the cinema here. It's on now people, you should go and see it.

"Monsters" - not sure what to make of it tbh, it kept my attention, I enjoyed ti while watching it, it was thoughtful but ultimately left me feeling a little empty

Doc Savage The Man of Bronze! Feck batman. Feck spiderman! Infact feck all superheros! This guys the real deal! He is after all The man of Brooooooonze. Great stuff,.k;l

fruitella its a badman sweet, you get me?:)

i quite enjoyed this.
you could say i watched it by mistake; i swore to never watch another film featuring any of the cast of adulthood / kidulthood gangster wannabes, chief suspect being the guy playing the lead in this one. perhaps it was all the familiar ladbroke grove landscapes, but i really found this to be in a different league, much better written, performed and directed

Killing Bono

For the first ten minutes it looked so promising, and then it was absolute rubbish. Surprised to see Clement and La Frenais were involved with this.

Curb Your Enthusiasm, first ep of new season.

Night before last I watched Ordinary People (dir: Robert Redford). Genuinely loved it despite some soppy, over-the-top moments.

I was fairly underwhelmed by the Darjeeling Limited.
It's not a bad film but I think I am just waiting for another Rushmore from him.

The Killing Fields, which was alright. Eurotrip, with Vinnie Jones, which I somehow got confused with Hostel :facepalm:

The Killing Fields has shite Coca-Cola product placement, with the baddies attacking a bottling plant. :D

About 5:40.

I don't like Oldfield's score either.

Recently, I watched Andrei Konchalovksy’s 1965 film adaptation of Chingiz Aitmatov’s novel The First Teacher.

Basically, it's 1923 and an overenthusiastic but superficially Bolshevised Red Army veteran, demobilised after the Communist victory in the Russian Civil War, struggles with ridicule and distrust at the hands of villagers in his native Kyrgyzstan, where's he's been sent to do propaganda work.

The opening scene:

At his makeshift 'school,' he points to a portrait, telling his little pupils, who're a world away from what's been going on elsewhere, 'Here is Lenin, leader of the world proletariat.'

Back
Top Bottom