Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

The end of bored to death season two, the beginning of life on mars series two, a couple of episodes of the sweeney, with hilarious consequences (and brian blessed exploding and inspector morse jumping out of a van, could life get any better? Many thanks to my annoyance :) )

I loved Bronson and thought Tom Hardy was incredible in it. No wonder he's so in demand these days.

It was very good and made me chuckle a fair bit. I liked the way it viewed a bit like a play. Hardy was very good too, thoroughly believable.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: Not as profoundly annoying as the graphic novel series that spawned it but definitely in the same ball park.

209568.1020.A.jpg

A story about the union coming to West Virginia coal mining communities in the Twenties. Even with Sayles' standard moralistic hyperbole, it's a good film telling an interesting story.

a pleasant weekend of films.

Kid over, so started with Tangled, which ws much better than i feared it might be, and made me laugh several times.

Beat is the Law - Fanfare for the Common People. Part 2 of a film on the Sheffield music scene after the Cabs, or so they claimed. Actually it was just the same as part one by and large, just with more Pulp. The Pulp ws jolly nice tho.

The Philadelphia Story. Ages since I've seen this, I'd forgotten just how good it was, cracking film.

Biutiful. Well, that was cheery. Magnificent performance from Bardem, fuck knows what all that talking to the dead bollocks was aobut tho

A Town called Panic (Panique au village). Probably one of the most bizarre but most fun films ive ever watched.

A Town called Panic (Panique au village). Probably one of the most bizarre but most fun films ive ever watched.

It's awesome isn't it, went straight to the top of my list (or somewhere abouts). First time I watched it, I watched it straight after again, and then the next day. The only other film I have done that with recently (well I watched half again and then watched it the next day) was 'super' I think.

It's awesome isn't it, went straight to the top of my list (or somewhere abouts). First time I watched it, I watched it straight after again, and then the next day. The only other film I have done that with recently (well I watched half again and then watched it the next day) was 'super' I think.

It wasnt just the story but the voices that kept cracking me up. Hope ive not deleted it.

Think ill have to give Super a go soon. Love Rainn Wilson, he is fantastic in The American Office.

Think ill have to give Super a go soon. Love Rainn Wilson, he is fantastic in The American Office.

I thought he would be like that, but he is very different. Super sort of got panned, but mostly for being a one joke film that wasn't as good or stylish as Kickass. Personally I think it shits all over kickass, it's a very different film and not actually overtly a comedy at all. Certainly as it progresses towards the end it hits levels of darkness that make a 12 year old saying 'cunt' whose father gets burned to death seem like hollywood smaltz.

Skyline: I love alien invasion films and this is sort of Cloverfield meets War Of The Worlds. It had some terrible reviews but I rather enjoyed every ridiculous, deranged minute of it. The creatures are particularly effective and the ending's utterly fucking bonkers.

Also saw around two thirds of action-stuffed spy-thriller Salt (someone came to the door so I had to turn it off). Plot-wise it's so 'out there' it makes Luther look like Cranford. Angelina Jolie's in it and I'm not sure I've ever seen a film in which the lead actor or actress has so few lines (not even Arnie, Vin or JCVD).

i really enjoyed skyline for the same reasons you did. spectacle, monsters, all of that. looking forward to trollhunter fot the same

last night watched 'the experiment'
brilliant, and truly cathartic for anyone who has ever been beaten by cops. or just casually abused

Enter the void. Utterly unique with very believable characters.
Occasionally drags a bit in a way that 2001 Space Odyssey does, but that's all part of the trip right?
Very good indeed.

Four Lions: Not quite as hilarious as I was hoping but some great lines ("Dogs contradict Islam") and the odd moment of brilliance.

Skyline.

Did I watch that right?

I watched the end again.
What a strange film. I think in general it's a bit rubbish. I suppose it's quite interesting though seeing a crisis like this from one point of view, it just felt a little lacking and I thought the aliens were crap, more crazy CGI rubbish.
But the last five minutes?? Quite a strange idea but better than a happy ending that our 'heros' could have no way have had a part in.

Back
Top Bottom