Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I watched Pink Floyd's The Wall, the other night, starring Bob Geldof as Adolf Hitler. The whole thing is on you tube, which is kind of a shame given that it's woefully bad stuff. Basically, it's Roger Waters saying "I am not David Bowie, but I wish I was".

I think it is good horror :D

If you are easily scared by this sort of thing (and enjoy it) then should watch this series. Ended well too.

Great wasnt it? Watched the lot over a few days last week and was captivated, which isnt often with me and US dramas.

I read the first quarter of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and fell asleep. So if the film is worse than the book, which it always is, then I'm definitely passing on this one.

My telly box has been upgraded by Virgin after the last one went pop, and now we have all kinds of telly goodness to watch! Watched four episodes of Boys from the Blackstuff recently. Me and the fella, sat snivelling, in between going 'ooo Crosville buses...oooolook at that wasteland, you just don't get wasteland like that anymore it's all built on nowadays' etc

Fucking brilliant telly - still just as relevant now :cool: Cried like a motherfucker again over Chrissy's episode

Watched Jamón Jamón t'other night, it was actually better than I was expecting, some really imaginative and hilarious scenes at points, done in quite a pisstaking way of all the stereotypes. Like most 'upbeat' supposed Spanish comedies though, it had a fair bit of tragedy and sadness going on as well.

Yes i did phwoaaa at the young Penelope Cruz too, she's gorgeous in it!

It's a steaming pile of pile of self-pitying crap.
i've never got round to watching it, even though it was on at the 11pm Friday late show of my local cinema all the time. everyone i hated at school liked pink floyd, so i figured it'd be shit.

I watched Barney's Version, which was OK if nothing special. Obviously an adaptation of a long novel as it felt a bit unwieldy squashed two hours. Paul Giamatti was good in the lead role, but Dustin Hoffman steals the film from him in a supporting role as his dad and Rosamund Pike lights up every film she appears in. I'll happily watch anything she appears in.

Lucky Star, silent film by Frank Borzage. Probably quite an unusual film then as disability wasn't seriously addressed much in films in the 20s. It's about a romance between a young woman and a man paralysed from the waist down by a war injury. The farm set built in the studio is quite beautiful. Shame about the "love makes him walk again" ending, you wouldn't get away with that now.

Overlord - 70s B&W film about a young english man being enlisted and trained for the army during the months before the WWII D-Day landings. It's intercut with some great archive footage from the period (I think the film was made in conjunction with The Imperial War Museum). The best war film I've seen for a while.

Ip Man. Well although it may be a little casual with the facts, so was Braveheart wasn't it?

This was excellent for a kung fu movie. Ace.

(eta it's not like Braveheart)

The World's Greatest Dad. The title and the fact that this stars Robin Williams probably put off a lot of people, but this is no Patch Addams. Middle aged teacher's obnoxious teenage son dies in a masturbation accident. His father frames it as a suicide and exploits the role of a grieving parent to boost his own popularity. Runs out of steam in the last third, but quite funny in places.

2081 based on "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut
Half an hour long by Chandler Tuttle
Interesting take on disability.

Sherlock- Riechenback falls

V. Good. annoying cliffhanger again and of course no indication as to if/when we'll get moar sherlock

Watched Jamón Jamón t'other night, it was actually better than I was expecting, some really imaginative and hilarious scenes at points, done in quite a pisstaking way of all the stereotypes. Like most 'upbeat' supposed Spanish comedies though, it had a fair bit of tragedy and sadness going on as well.

Yes i did phwoaaa at the young Penelope Cruz too, she's gorgeous in it!

didnt she get her tits out in that one ?

To this day she's the only mega-star I've seen up close. Just as gorgeous in real life, only maybe a little shorter than I expected.

i watched The Ipcress file and the original Italian job back to back . Thorughly enjoyed both, really forgot how good they were . Even watched the extra bits of interviews on the dvds which were allso very illuminating . Apparently Nichol Williamson was the original choice for the role of Bridger , but Noel Coward was the directors Godfather .

michael-caine.jpg

not a lot of people know that .

i watched The Ipcress file and the original Italian job back to back . Thorughly enjoyed both, really forgot how good they were . Even watched the extra bits of interviews on the dvds which were allso very illuminating . Apparently Nichol Williamson was the original choice for the role of Bridger , but Noel Coward was the directors Godfather .

not a lot of people know that .

Not really a fan of Italian Job, but I love the 60's Harry Palmer movies.

didnt she get her tits out in that one ?

Yeah indeed, but the funnier scene is with Javier Bardem licking them...

"te gusta?"
"encanta su sabor!"
"y a que saben?"
"jamón... tortilla patatas.. mmm... cebolla... ajo!"

----

"like 'em?"
"I love your taste
"what do they taste like?
"ham... potato omlette... onion... garlic!"

Sadly it is not on youtube :(

Im going to have to track down a cheap copy of funeral in berlin from somewhere now .

I really enjoyed the Italian job though this time round much more than when i watched it years ago , really well conceived and shot . Some great sarcastic character acting too . Especially with the likes of camp Freddie . All put together really tightly too .

I especiallly loved that opening scene with Matt Munro singing " Days like these"

Back
Top Bottom