Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Black Bread. Most recent spanish civil war film, set in 1944. The shit opus dei one doesn't count. Recommended. I'll give nothing away, linking to imdb and the like would spoil it.

Josie And The Pussycats. Overlooked and pretty funny pop industry satire.

I watched Moonraker, the much reviled Bond film which is a bit of a favourite of mine and the CG animation Rango, which was very good, if maybe a little too long.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the most tedious film I've seen in a long while. Can't remember the last time I turned a film off but this did it for me. If it didn't look so stylish I probably would've switched off within half an hour.

I Saw The Devil.

Korean serial killer/revenge film, not as good as the OldBoy trilogy but still very good. Lots of people get chopped up. Seemed to have a biggish budget.

The Kid with a Bike...more brilliance from the Dardennes. I love their films, don't think this one's been mentioned here.

Bullhead - really strong debut film from Belgium with an outstanding performance from Matthias Schoenaerts. Crime/thriller/psychological investigation/hormone mafia type thing. Few missteps with a couple of pointless comic characters but not enough to have a really damaging impact. Recommended.

Just watched this. Lost the plot a bit at times but that may have been the quality of the subtitles on the copy I watched. Reminded me of the Pusher films and also NEDS (not sure why on that one though). I couldn't quite relate the child actors to their respective adult parts but the acting was very believable and as you say the lead gave a great performance.

You seen Matrioshki butchers? Belgian series, just been reading about it, sounds good.

Watched 44inch Chest. The word "cunt" is used a lot but i was a little worse for wear to gauge more than that.

Just watched this. Lost the plot a bit at times but that may have been the quality of the subtitles on the copy I watched. Reminded me of the Pusher films and also NEDS (not sure why on that one though). I couldn't quite relate the child actors to their respective adult parts but the acting was very believable and as you say the lead gave a great performance.

You seen Matrioshki butchers? Belgian series, just been reading about it, sounds good.
No - ta for the nod, will get back on this later.

You sure like your Serbian shit.

indeed i do . fell in love with the place years ago . Films are often quite good but suffer from the handicap of many of the same actors being in all of them .
Black Cat White Cat though was a bit different in that most of the characters were picked because of their striking facial characteristics.

8673_2-Black-Cat-White-Cat.jpg

The remake of "The Taking of Pelham 123" - hmmm, alright I suppose but nowhere near as good as the original. It lacked the original's humour, style and suspense and any orginal touches i.e. the laptop feed, were just not very well handled.

Plus John Travolta was shit, both in acting and his character. Robert Shaw was so, so much better!

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the most tedious film I've seen in a long while. Can't remember the last time I turned a film off but this did it for me. If it didn't look so stylish I probably would've switched off within half an hour.
You seen the TV series?

I found it very hard not to compare the film to the TV series, and because of that find it a bit lacking, partly because I watched the TV series not that long ago but also because it seemed to me that the film and a number of the actors seemed to be channeling the series. Despite that it was definitely worth going to see, with the cut down time there were always going to lose something but they manage to get a lot in in just two hours.

Also rewatched Casablanca, one of the few films that I don't see how anyone could dislike.

Reno said:
I watched episodes 2 & 3 of American Horror Story last night. This series is batshit crazy ! :eek: But good. :)

I think it is good horror :D

If you are easily scared by this sort of thing (and enjoy it) then should watch this series. Ended well too.

You seen the TV series?

I found it very hard not to compare the film to the TV series, and because of that find it a bit lacking, partly because I watched the TV series not that long ago but also because it seemed to me that the film and a number of the actors seemed to be channeling the series. Despite that it was definitely worth going to see, with the cut down time there were always going to lose something but they manage to get a lot in in just two hours.

No never. It was the sort of thing my dad would go on about so I've never bothered. Maybe I should try a few episodes. Would I need to start from the start or does each one stand alone?

you need to watch it in sequence starting with Tinker, Tailor.

If the film version was too slow for you though you really won't get on with the series. I'm hunting for subs atm as I couldn't get past ep 2. There is to much chat in russian to do without the subs.

theres a scene that must take literally five minutes before any man says a word where five bods all gather round a table one by one and arrange their cigs, pipes and files before beggining discussion. It's not a pacing my modern tastes is used to but I found it very enjoyable. Need them fucking subs though

No never. It was the sort of thing my dad would go on about so I've never bothered. Maybe I should try a few episodes. Would I need to start from the start or does each one stand alone?

It's not really episodic at all from what I know of it (read the book donkeys years ago and the series is seemingly very true to that). It's the painstaking search for a double in the pay of the ussr who has infiltrated british intelligences top circle. Kim Philby like.

No lazer watches or string of shags a la bond. just grimy dealings and mistrust

Back
Top Bottom