Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Submarine - very good, very funny and very warm.I was thinking at one point how English it all was with the references to Open University but then thought it could easily be set in America.

Best bit was when his mother explained that she only gave her lover a handjob to relax him.

I loved the bit with the Open University and how his dad hot fired because never knew what to do with his hands. :D

Lovely film and it reminded me most of Truffaut and was clearly influenced by the early French New Wave. It made me go and watch "The 400 Blows" again.

The Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Excellent, will watch the next two over today and tomorrow.

The Inbetweeners Movie - Meh
The Hangover 2 - As with the first one i fell asleep halfway through

Neither of these were my choices i might add, but those doing the selection had cooked me a rather excellent roast so i can't complain :)

I watched Race wit the Devil, hokey, but enjoyable 70s mixture of road movie and devil worship thriller starring Peter Fonda. It bears some striking similarities to Kill List.

Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen's latest - a relief that he's stopped playing these parts himself, and generally a good film with a slight message about how harking back to a bygone 'golden' age is a fallacy and is indicative of trying to avoid living now.

I also watched the first episode of American Horror Story last night. It was quite entertaining and good to see Jessica Lange back. I wonder how a show where most of the cast appear to be ghosts can keep going without it getting silly.

The remake of Brighton Rock. Not as good as the original and deviated from the book a bit much. Some of the resetting into the 60's went too far into the standard Brighton cliches and detracted from the story. 5/10.

I also watched the first episode of American Horror Story last night. It was quite entertaining and good to see Jessica Lange back. I wonder how a show where most of the cast appear to be ghosts can keep going without it getting silly.

Was still going pretty strong 5 episodes in :)

Kill List - pretty good, got a bit disappointingly silly in the latter stages as previously mentioned, and yes, the ending was ruined by THE SPOILER (you know who you are :mad:) as I totally guessed it. 6/10

Horrible Bosses - Aniston is hotter than ever and the films alright too. 7/10

Went The Day Well. Finally got this on DVD, and its still as great as ever, surprisingly brutal in places. Praise the lord n one ever remade it.

Europa. aah, Lars you freak. Odd but fascinating movie.

Wings of Desire - I was surprised at how much of this I'd forgotten. Superb.

Mondo Cane. 1st one. Interesting stuff, not really shocking as such, the 60's take on things is ace, as is the drunken section and the cavemen at the end (though that might be #2 which I've watched a bit of....)

The French Connection for the first time in 20 years. Still a great movie. Marseille, 1970's New York, Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider :cool:

Tinker. Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

As the cover says, acting master-class. However..should have been two hours longer as the compression was a bit of a waste of a chance to really go for it.

I watched Polytechnique. It's a French Canadian docu-drama based on the 1989 Montreal Massacre, when a former student who blamed feminism for all the failures of his life, returned to his University to shoot a large number of mostly female students. The film states that to protect the victims all the characters have been fictionalised, but having since read up on the massacre, the film follows the events very closely.

The film jumps back and forth in time and has been shot in B&W. The film doesn't linger on the victims getting hit and it never feels exploitative, but the part of the film that deals with the shooting, which takes up the midsection, is unbearably tense.

The film concentrates almost exclusively on three characters, the shooter and a male and a female student who get caught up in the massacre. The last section is maybe the most moving half an hour of film I've seen in quite a while. It's ultimately a rather melancholy, even poetic film that concentrates more on the victims than on the perpetrator and that is what makes it so affecting.

In any case, I can't believe this film has never been released in the UK. I read about it in a review for the directors most recent film Incendies which got released last year and which is up for several awards.

Back
Top Bottom