Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

The Secret in their Eyes. Good Argentinian thriller, beautifully shot but also quite sentimental and no masterpiece. Didn't deserve to win the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar over the also nominated The White Ribbon and A Prophet, masterpieces both, but then that's the Oscars for you.

Kill List: Extremely violent and unsettling British hitman film that gets madder and madder as it goes on. Would probably need to see it again to properly work out the last 15-20 minutes though. There's one fairly clunky plot hole early on that they should have worked harder to smooth over, and the ending owes a great deal to another very famous British film that I won't mention for fear of spoiling things.

I don't think there is much to work out, that's really one genre shoehorned into another without the two working together properly. That said, I really quite like the film. I like the Pinteresque feel of the main bulk of the film and it's very well acted. I think the writer/director has a great film in him, even if this isn't quite it yet.

I don't think there is much to work out, that's really one genre shoehorned into another without the two working together properly. That said, I really quite like the film. I like the Pinteresque feel of the main bulk of the film and it's very well acted. I think the writer/director has a great film in him, even if this isn't quite it yet.

It's a bit of a curate's egg really. I liked a lot of it but, like you say, the weirdness towards the end does feel clumsily shoehorned in. I think there is stuff to work out though...

Were the three of them on the Kill List all along then? What did Kiev have to do with it? What actually happened in Kiev? What was the significance of the sigil scratched onto the back of the mirror at their house? Was Jay killed himself after stabbing the Hunchback to death or crowned some kind of 'King of Killers' by the cult? Is that why the bloke he smashed to pieces with the hammer appeared to be in so in awe of him? I had loads of questions and would probably need to see the film again to see if any of them were actually answered.

that hammer scene was grim as. No the film made little actual sense to me but got increasingly creepy despite that

TT closer to the edge. Documentary about the Isle of man TT.

Gripping stuff, proper spine tingler and I'm not a bike fanatic

Reactions: MBV
I watched L.A. Confidential on Channel 4 last night. Man why did I always pass this on over? Absolutely amazing film automatically one of my favourites ever; the casting, the plot, the acting, the setting, all of it just works.

50 Dead Men Walking- v. good, IRA tout story. Ben Kingsley does a solid turn as the handler

Dead Man's Shoes- brilliant. Lead actor hardly gets any lines at all, but is brilliant regardless.

Kubrick's Paths Of Glory. Not bad as as an anti-war film but there are better. Very wooden acting.

Couple of recent Brit films set in the countryside

The Holding - thriller set on a farm in the Peak District, a mysterious man turns up offering to help out the female farmer after her abusive husband disappears. Solid enough thriller but they could of done more with the ex-husband plot.

A Lonely Place To Die - set in the Scottish highlands, starts out well with the scenery & the climbing shots looking great but goes downhill a bit towards the end.

Hideous Kinky
Is pretty good, not remarkable but some good scenery.

Tombstone
Not as good as I remembered it first time around. Pretty standard modern Western with fairly wooden acting. Good moustaches though. I think Deadwood has ruined every Western for me forever.

Melancholia - a psychodrama from Lars von Trier, very well acted, it's a really good movie. Don't want to give too much away. Trier is great the way he develops characters and the relations between them.

Melancholia - a psychodrama from Lars von Trier, very well acted, it's a really good movie. Don't want to give too much away. Trier is great the way he develops characters and the relations between them.

I didn't see anything develop with the characters. I thought they were no better than two dimensional cartoons and once you get the premise, there are no real surprises of how anybody will act.

Couple of recent Brit films set in the countryside

The Holding - thriller set on a farm in the Peak District, a mysterious man turns up offering to help out the female farmer after her abusive husband disappears. Solid enough thriller but they could of done more with the ex-husband plot.

A Lonely Place To Die - set in the Scottish highlands, starts out well with the scenery & the climbing shots looking great but goes downhill a bit towards the end.

A Lonely Place to Die and The Holding both have got reasonable or good reviews. However they , like a lot of British film, hardly got a showing in cinemas.

In A Lonely Place - Excellent film from Nicholas Ray, Bogart in form as a unlikable scriptwriter drinking too much and both Gloria Grahame and the film as a whole look great. Slightly weirded out to find out that Ray divorced Grahame after finding her in bed with his underaged son.

Bottle Rocket...thought I'd check out Wes Anderson's first film. Some amusing moments, quite interesting to see the genesis of some of his trademarks, and Luke and Owen Wilson looked so young!

mwgdrwg said:
Bottle Rocket...thought I'd check out Wes Anderson's first film. Some amusing moments, quite interesting to see the genesis of some of his trademarks, and Luke and Owen Wilson looked so young!

I liked Bottle Rocket. Bumbling sort of film but enjoyable.

Clash of the Titans - fucking total crock of shit. Starts off promising but totally fudges it from then on and is a right let down at the end.

The Other Guys - great fun, worthwhile comedy.

Gran Torino - excellent stuff. Proper story, no messing, Clint Eastwood is great in it, you can sort of see the plot forming early on but its executed very well.

Back
Top Bottom