Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What coffee are you drinking just now?

About to have a mug of Taylors After Dark. Not expecting it to knock their Hot Lava Java off the top spot but who knows, it could all be marketing guff. Bottoms up!

I hate Starbucks, but I have been visiting our local hospital recently, and that's the coffee outlet they have, so I've used them when there. They ask for your name when you order the coffee, so as a way of cheering up the young person I was with, I have taken to giving a different ridiculous name each time. It makes us both happy, and does no harm.

Do they ever twig to what you're doing?

I don't usually drink coffee, but I took the dregs of what was left after himself poured his.

It's horrible.
You're clearly determined to continue to dislike it. ;)

FWIW, I'm not a coffee drinker during the week - at work I always have Chinese tea available - mostly Oolong - multiple infusions - no one else has ever liked my tea :D
And when I have my coffee on Saturday and Sunday mornings at home with my freshly-baked bread, I'm usually going to go for at least a 20 mile bike ride later.

Thanks to Quoady I now take a bit of care with it.

Beans - as freshly roasted as possible.
Hand ground with a good grinder.
Made in an Aeropress - which is the best coffee system I've ever tried.

photo.php
photo.php
285337_545075515513464_366804703_n.jpg

Been drinking Taylors Expresso for the past few days and all I can say is that I miss the Hot Lava Java. The finish on the expresso is just horrible after half a cup, I have to will myself into drinking it all. The Hot Lava Java is something I savour every last drop of.

Been drinking Taylors Expresso for the past few days and all I can say is that I miss the Hot Lava Java. The finish on the expresso is just horrible after half a cup, I have to will myself into drinking it all. The Hot Lava Java is something I savour every last drop of.
Are you brewing a blend labeled 'espresso' through filter? Or using it in some form of pressurised machine?

If the former (or if using it in a french press), then you'll be brewing up something that's ground far finer (and possibly roast far darker) than filter could usually tolerate. As a result, you'd probably be getting a tonne more (bitter) caffeine along with a very unrounded / brutal / harsh cup.

e2a: and if you're using a french press, and finding a lot of silt at the bottom of the cup - that'd be partly because of the finer grind, too. And that'd potentially be adding a tonne of bitterness / harshness (because it keeps on brewing in the cup, and the later it gets, the more raw / unbalanced / bitter notes it'll bring out.)

btw, if you're not doing it already, milk is one way of taking the brutality out of a cup. Some of it, at least. Might be worth trying if you're really struggling to get through a cup (and really want to, for whatever reason!)

Though even milk can struggle against a particularly brutal brew, and can even meld horribly with it to create something utterly gakworthy :D

I'm using a French press.
Any silt at the bottom of the cup?

If so, slowly decanting it into a second cup to leave as much silt as possible in the first might help make the 2nd half less worse. Running it through a paper filter might prevent a bit of degradation / increasing gakkiness, too.

You're essentially putting grinds that're (theoretically) aimed at a high pressure, high temperature, very quick extraction through a no-pressure, significantly colder, quite slow extraction, though. And that's always going to make it a lot harder to get a good brew (or, certainly, the best brew that could be gotten out of those beans).

Good luck!

Do Italians really love Lavazza ?
Had enough of their blandness, not up to cycling to my coffee roaster - may try their mail order.
Was near Whittards, and thought what the heck ...
Half a pound of Guatemala Antigua please - she rang up £7.50 - I thought "sod that" and did a runner...
The best coffee in Bristol would only cost half that...

So few supermarket coffees available as beans - I've settled for a Rainforest Alliance blend ...

Just bought some Bolivian stuff off HasBean that has the usual effusive tasting notes:

Bolivia Finca Loayza Feliciano Ramos

In the cup, this was a tough one to nail. Very complex and lots going on. Think of it like two cups. When warm it's all acidity, loads of cherry think cherry cola, keylime pie with biscuit sweetness, mixed in with a dark chocolate after-taste. But as it cools think caramel, increased sweetness and delicious mouth-feel.
Cherry cola and key lime pie ffs. :D Still, it'll probably be very nice, they've not let me down yet.

Just bought some Bolivian stuff off HasBean that has the usual effusive tasting notes:

Cherry cola and key lime pie ffs. :D Still, it'll probably be very nice, they've not let me down yet.
Has Bean cupping notes are such bollocks. But...if they say tutti frutti it's always a great coffee.

Been using my new Aeropress with some Starbucks Caffe Verona whole beans. Not pleased with having to buy stuff from there but there's nowhere else in town I can really get a good selection of beans from. Ethics and morals aside it's lovely coffee, quite bitter with a vague hint of cocoa. When it's all gone I shall be ordering some from Square Mile although I've no idea what to get. Suggestions anyone? Price isn't really too much of an issue as I only drink the one cup a day and see it as an acceptable luxury to fork out a wee bit more money for.

Bolivia Finca Loayza Feliciano Ramos

This arrived yesterday. The notes of key lime pie and subtle hints of cherry coke are a bit lost on me tbh but it's a very good cup of coffee nonetheless.

Been using my new Aeropress with some Starbucks Caffe Verona whole beans. Not pleased with having to buy stuff from there but there's nowhere else in town I can really get a good selection of beans from. Ethics and morals aside it's lovely coffee, quite bitter with a vague hint of cocoa. When it's all gone I shall be ordering some from Square Mile although I've no idea what to get. Suggestions anyone? Price isn't really too much of an issue as I only drink the one cup a day and see it as an acceptable luxury to fork out a wee bit more money for.
Someone like butcher would have a better idea than me about whether filter or espresso roasts work better in the aero press.

Wrt square mile... IME it's hard to get a wrong un. I've mostly been drinking espresso recently, and had some blinding jirmiwachu. One of the best espressos I've had for years, but it seemed to go a bit thin last time I ordered. I'm wondering if the greens are getting towards the end of its best. Or if they were left somewhere a bit overly warm, or if a new not-quite-so-good sack was opened. I'm drinking their £8ish single origin espresso ATM. Which is producing buckets of thick, gloopy espresso. It's brewing like it's in great shape, and the beans are producing a lovely cup - thick, deep, chocolatey. Erm, it's got something more interesting about it, too; but it's been a couple of days since I had a cup, and I'm scuppered if I can remember what. Think it was that it cut through milk particularly well / interestingly. Or that it had a lovely aftertaste / finish. One of those two!

Not too up on their filter roasts ATM!

My local coffee roaster and the best one within cycling distance at least - and unless someone knows otherwise, the best outside London...

https://twodaycoffee.co.uk/

is interviewed on a local podcast. :-

http://media.blubrry.com/bristolkit...olkitchenradio/Podcast_8_Coffee_Chocolate.mp3

http://www.bristolkitchenradio.com/

I especially like the bit where he explains that people like me for whom it's quite a hike to get there are pretty well persona non grata for buying more than 100 grammes at a time. :D

In respect to him I now propose to inflate a balloon of some sort in my coffee jar to reduce oxidation and decant every week or two.
(I use 50 grammes of coffee each weekend and tend to buy about 500 grammes at a time.)

By my reckoning though, his single estate Guatemala is better from the bottom of my jar than anything I can buy locally fresh from the packet.

I'm expecting a bag of Square Mile's Sweet shop Espresso beans early next week, but until then I'm stuck with Starbucks Kenyan medium roast. It's not the best I've ever had but neither is it the worst, the Aeropress seems to be rather forgiving and consistently make a nice brew. Even managing to use the thing without making a huge mess everywhere... :cool:

How strongly roasted are they ?

They're about a 3 I'd say*. It's good coffee - all Ringtons coffee is IME but it's by no means a flavour 'tinged with honey'. It tastes like good, proper, half decent coffee.

(*I like strong coffee so I maybe biased and it is more like a 4)

Rebelde Zapatista - but I am not loving it. It was a present from a student (better than an apple I guess). I am going to Turin on Friday and intend to look out for something splendid there - any expert advice on that ?

Back
Top Bottom