Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What bit of a chicken is a nugget?

Quorn is not exactly the same. It's fairly darn close though.
Particularly if your just having chunks of it in a sauce or something.

Will give it a go. Wasn’t sure whether Frank was a veg*n, but for example it’s pretty clear that vegans forget really quickly what cheese tastes like. Probably a mercy.

Vegan met imitation is getting loads better. Especially the beef imitation stuff.
Quarn chicken is still a little dense and dry in chicken breast form but I remember the chicken chunks being a lot better.
I think the nuggets are also still a bit dull but load them up with ketchup or barbecue sauce and they are passible.

Hummm I think i may have been a bit generous when i said fairly close before. I had forgotten about the more rough quorn i've eaten.

I did make some decent stew/[ie filling/curry type things with the chunks though.

I’m not really a chicken nugget person but fancy giving the Quorn ones a go out of curiosity now.

I do find the mince pretty good (though I get a few stomach issues if I overdo Quorn). Goes really well in a chilli if I use two parts of the Quorn stuff to one part decent minced beef and no one I have made it for has said they would have suspected if not told.

The mince is really quite good.
Is a little wetter than beef and slightly lighter in taste but in a punchy pasta sauce filled with a shed load of garlic and onion with soy sauce and spices cooked down for hours with passata it adds plenty of body.

It doesn’t work like that. The volume of nuggets required is too large for a factory to produce sufficient reliable quantities by simply using the waste of another production line.

People say the same thing about e.g. teabag tea being dust from the floor of loose leaf tea production, or corned beef being leftover noses and anuses. It’s not the way it works.
What about Ocean Sticks? I thought they were trimmings / hosing down findings.

The mince is really quite good.
Is a little wetter than beef and slightly lighter in taste but in a punchy pasta sauce filled with a shed load of garlic and onion with soy sauce and spices cooked down for hours with passata it adds plenty of body.

Yeah, I’ve made a vegan version of the chilli with some miso paste to ramp up the umami and it went down well with a vegan friend. Also ramped up the garlic and onion a bit like you said.

I’m not really a meat substitute person generally speaking because of the nutritional deficits (though what I consider proper vegan grub can be really healthy). A lot of the “plant based” market is loaded with palm oil and other stuff that I think is best used very occasionally if possible.

The meat we currently eat is similarly diverse – depending on where you live, you might dine on anything from frogs to buffalo, from snails to chickens and cows. We also variously eat feet, necks, intestines, tails, blood, uteruses, and so on. Will all these be produced in a lab too? Or will technological limitations and economies of scale ensure that we only get chicken nuggets?

yum

It doesn’t work like that. The volume of nuggets required is too large for a factory to produce sufficient reliable quantities by simply using the waste of another production line.

People say the same thing about e.g. teabag tea being dust from the floor of loose leaf tea production, or corned beef being leftover noses and anuses. It’s not the way it works.
It's the way it works for hot dogs.

Quorn is not exactly the same. It's fairly darn close though.
Particularly if your just having chunks of it in a sauce or something.

Just trying them now. If I was blindfolded and in a condition of extreme stress (such as having been kidnapped by terrorists), I really could see myself mistaking these for chicken.

Damn good effort.

Just trying them now. If I was blindfolded and in a condition of extreme stress (such as having been kidnapped by terrorists), I really could see myself mistaking these for chicken.

Damn good effort.
I think that's about all you can really ask for.

apart from asking the terrorists to let you go.

Although I do think the quorn chunks are better than the nuggets.
The chunks can be hidden in a sauce or casserole but the nuggets have to stand mostly by themselves.
Ketchup is the great equaliser in this however.

Back
Top Bottom